Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The slot pattern extends the whole length of the bracket in the production design. I had to leave room for the hinges and front lip though so it's only 245mm from from end of the slots to the other. Not quite enough for dual 140mm but you wouldn't be able to fit two 140mm fans with a PSU installed in either position anyway.

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015
I see. Would that still leave space at the lower front for a 120 mm fan and would something thicker like the XT45 fit?

Thicker is not always better with radiators. At "quiet" fan speeds the ST30 performs better than the XT45. Only when you get up to 1200rpm does the XT45 even equal the cooling performance of the ST30.

Tygon E1000 is a good example. It was/is praised for being plasticizer free, but it's official operational range is -59C to 51C. Not something I'd personally be comfortable running at 70C for lengthy periods of time.

I've never seen the coolant in a watercooling loop reach 40C, let alone 51C. Even in my FT03-mini build with a single AX120 cooling both CPU and GPU.

E1000 is advertised as plasticizer free by Sidewinder and FrozenCPU. Clearly they misunderstood the datasheet. The carciogenic phthalates were removed from E1000 at the behest of the food industry, and replaced with ... a different type of plasticizer. St.Gobain do make plasticizer-free tubing, but it's not very aesthetically pleasing, cloudy looking. Use Acrylic of PETG if you want crystal clear tubing that doesn't leech.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Thanks Aiboh, that's good news for me that the slot pattern extends the whole length, even if it spans only 245mm. I assume this is not just for 140mm but also for 120mm fan mount slots, correct?

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015
Do you happen to know anything about Mayhem's "Ultra Clear Tubing"?

No, sorry. I stopped buying any "clear" flexible tubing after seeing so many types dull, cloud, or yellow (within weeks usually). You always hope the next one you buy will be different :)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The handle itself looks fairly robust assuming it has a metal core to reinforce it.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Nope, just that it won't be launched before Q4 2015, I'd expect it to be Q1 and more likely Q2 2016 that we'll be able to buy one.

That's the same time that the Corsair SF600 will be released. Finally, there will be some competition in the high-end SFX power supply market.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes, I'm hoping so too. I'm convinced Silverstone could do better with some competition.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

skukza

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
I've gone with a itx GPU so what I'm really hoping I can squeeze a EK Predator upfront, if not im sure the termaltake should fit on either the bottom or front easily enough.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
But um, we haven't seen news in what seems like ages. Something must be delayed or proven to be difficult, but is there nothing that can be shared to quench our thirst ?

Status
Not open for further replies.