What does batch 2 not come with that I would need to pick up? It includes v2 GPU holder and PCIe slot covers, right?
Are the B stock cases still to be listed or have they sold out?
Case delivered successful, thanks for swift reply with corrected invoice. Will be building in this thing in few months, when I'm back home.Woah, that should not be happening. Let me take a look at what's going on.
Edit: Bug in our reciept generation system has been solved. If anyone else has an issue with delivery due to invoice, please send us a support email and we'll take care of it.
Our system currently doesn't support combining packaging sizes and consolidating shipping costs. It's extremely frustrating. We'll be manually adjusting those closer to when things ship, to reflect the cost of combining those shipments into one.Case delivered successful, thanks for swift reply with corrected invoice. Will be building in this thing in few months, when I'm back home.
Edit: Shipping price for the extra items on the website is accurate? 123USD shipping for one glass panel, two pcie slot covers and one GPU holder V2 is too much. With such high shipping price I'm gonna pass on those goodies...
Note: Sorry about the delay. This update was posted in our Discord about a week ago, but I forgot to put it here.----------
Update 28 — Batch 2 and Winter DesignHello everyone, sorry it’s been a while.
Due to the massive increase in aluminum price, manufacturing costs, and international shipping costs, we’ve come to the uncomfortable realization that we are going to be losing money on Batch 2. This is unavoidable no matter what option(s) we choose. We have made the decision to deliver B2, despite losing money, because we feel that it’s the right thing to do for our backers and customers.
I wanted to bring this discussion to our community, because transparency is important. Here are the options we considered:
1. Using our original supply chain, and the B1 manufacturers — For B2 they quoted us $30k higher than Batch 1. For those of you doing the math, we’d be losing ~ 26k on this batch as a result.
2. A set of new manufacturers for B2 - They quoted us about 44k for the production run, bringing our losses down to about $18k for Batch 2, after shipping.
3. Cancelling Batch 2 and refunding — This option would put us in the red for about $28k, since we’ve already ordered / produced some parts and secured packaging and paid for shipping of those parts / materials for B2. Most of that cannot be returned, so we’d have to refund B2, and we’d have a bunch of unused parts sitting around that would have to go to recycling.
Thus We’re left with a list of bad options, and not much room to maneuver. Unfortunately, most of this is due to circumstances we couldn’t have planned for. What would have been a simple Kickstarter + Web order 2-batch production run turned into a logistical nightmare as the global manufacturing systems attempt to recover from COVID-19.
Of those choices, Option 2 appears to be the most appealing, and minimizes our losses, while still delivering Winter One to you. There are some risks, but no more than with Batch 1, when our selected manufacturers were new to the process. There might be slight delays on our timeline, but we’re still trying to get B2 out by the end of the year.
As I’ve said before, B2 will be the last batch. It doesn’t make sense to build this product at today’s aluminum prices, and current manufacturing costs. I know a lot of people had reservations about the cost, but there was genuinely not a ton of margin in this product.
Had it been designed today, there are a lot of decisions we would have made differently, going for the safety of higher margins, and lower manufacturing costs, different materials, and different finishes. It would have been a compromise on our vision for Winter One, and would have lacked the sheer excess that First Edition W1 had, but would have been a profitable product.
I'm not involved in that I don't have an order at stake but I would go with option 2, less loss, wrap this up and maybe work on a new project, build relationship with manufactures for a future project. Basically finish this run, have more money for future stuff and have those connections for future things if this run goes well. Maybe sell me a power switch if you have any extra by the end of this. Even Dan for the C4 is considering internals being steel for ease of painting. Crazy times.