Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What colors did you have in mind to provide? My initial guess would be white, black , red and a couple shades each of grey and blue.

Black and red for sure since there's so many parts to match with that. The others will depend on demand.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
matte black :D

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Maybe use an Instant Runoff ballot?
Everyone picks their preferred case colour choice, second preference, third preference (etc). Once all orders have been taken, tally all the "first choice" votes. Eliminate the category with the lowest number of votes and move those voters to their "second choice" colours. Keep doing this until all colours have reached the minimum order quantity. You could also keep going until you had some minimum number of selections (e.g. 4 different colour variants) to keep distribution complexity down.
It's a little more complex than just totalling up each order, but it allows for colour preferences to be picked without endless delays from emailing people if their chosen colour doesn't meet the MOQ. It also allows you to make choices after all orders are in (e.g. in case a supplier suddenly says "ah, but we need a minimum of 30 for colour X, not 20!").

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's more that
I hope you realise I was just kidding, I'm getting this case irregardless of the color it comes in (yes even pink). But I know I won't be disappointed with the color samples previewed earlier.

Haunsolo7

What's an ITX?
Oct 3, 2015
I love this! Will this be a one time run or will you be selling these for a while? Also would someone be able to mod a window into this case, or would the lack of side ventilation be a problem?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes, if I really have to. But I'd get it re-coated or de-coated then ofcourse.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
And the crowd goes wild ! But we already had a very strong feeling red was going to be one of the colors offered next to black.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe use an Instant Runoff ballot?

It's an interesting idea, and could arguably be the most efficient in giving people what they want, at least from a strictly economic/utilitarian perspective. But we'd have the awkward condition of trying to ask people to support us, when we can't even tell them with any confidence what color options they'll have. I feel pretty strongly that the "base" colors have to be stated and offered from the very start, because it's a very important attribute that will affect the decision-making of a lot of interested enthusiasts. So we have to do the next-best thing (which we've done), which is to discern through polls and data what colors are the most popular anyway, and then offer those.

What would make more sense (in my mind) is a ballot system like this as a stretch goal, once we've hit our target (if we do). We can say "ok, we're confident enough that we can offer one more color, or a bare case, everyone who would prefer one of these alternate options, please vote knowing that it counts as an order for that option if it's the winner".

I hope you realise I was just kidding...

Yes, but even so, it was an opportunity to explain our rationale, and by now you should know that I take advantage of every opportunity to use 500 words when 15 will do ;)

I love this! Will this be a one time run or will you be selling these for a while? Also would someone be able to mod a window into this case, or would the lack of side ventilation be a problem?

We can only guarantee that this crowdfunding campaign is happening. Future campaigns, or ongoing sales, depend a lot on the initial success of the campaign.

As for a side window, the vent holes are functional insofar that they allow the side bracket to be used for cooling. They also provide ventilation for the top half of the case, which is important even if used passively. So although I can't point to any testing data to confirm that they're "absolutely necessary", I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't want to eliminate them for any reason.

A few people have wondered about a side panel window, and anyone who is looking to mod the case would basically have to cut a hole in the bottom section, and put some plexiglass there. It's a bit of a messy process, especially with a painted panel, but it would be doable... The panels are steel and pretty strong, so I doubt the rigidity of the panel would suffer much, if at all. Plus you'd get a very nice view of your graphics cards (which would be the prettiest part of the case anyway, given that the power supply and side bracket live on the top half).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes, but even so, it was an opportunity to explain our rationale, and by now you should know that I take advantage of every opportunity to use 500 words when 15 will do ;)
That's quite alright, good communication is important !

Shawn Faherty

Caliper Novice
Sep 19, 2015
Was going to say offer something dark and light in the color options. Red and Black are perfect.
I'm wondering, besides color, would there be any other stretch goals or options you are thinking of?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Was going to say offer something dark and light in the color options. Red and Black are perfect.
I'm wondering, besides color, would there be any other stretch goals or options you are thinking of?

Not particularly, stretch goals are somewhat hard to account for anyway until we see what actual demand looks like. Did you have anything in mind?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Sometimes powder coaters will let you "batch" your parts with other jobs to avoid minimum fees. Obviously if it's a colour they do once every 3 months, then it could be a long wait!

jcsquintos

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2015
I'm so excited for this case, so I made an entirely new build for it when it comes out. Please come out soon!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sometimes powder coaters will let you "batch" your parts with other jobs to avoid minimum fees. Obviously if it's a colour they do once every 3 months, then it could be a long wait!

Not sure if our manufacturer would be game for something like this, but regardless, it isn't really how we can go about making units for those who contributed to a crowdfunding campaign. Getting cases out to everyone (post-campaign) as quickly as possible is actually something we've really tried to optimize, especially since we've kept people waiting so long as it is :(

(I have a running list on my desktop titled "Things we've screwed up on", and "Stringing people along" is up there, second only to "Not doubling every time estimate we've banked on"...)

I'm so excited for this case, so I made an entirely new build for it when it comes out. Please come out soon!

Thank you very much for the kind words! :) Mind sharing what you want to build inside the case?

Reactions: Phuncz
Status
Not open for further replies.