Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I've talked with Tony about the SX700-LPT and I have high hopes. It sounds like the fan control is sophisticated enough to really keep the fan off under low to moderate loads.

Forgive me if I don't take his word for it until there's a physical product that's both been reviewed by a serious site and has been in consumers hands. I greatly appreciate his transparency and communication with the public, but he's enthusiastic about Silverstone products to a fault. On all the Silverstone products I've owned, QC has always been an issue. It didn't matter if it was a case, a fan, a cable, or a PSU. What they envision and what becomes reality through mass production doesn't typically align.

TL;DR - I'd rather take the cynical approach and be pleasantly surprised than the other way around :)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Not sure how you'd shave another 2-3 mm off the other daughter board without making a new ASIC from the discrete components on there or using non-standard headers to connect with the main.

I think it's doable, the question is whether there's a market for it. I'd personally love it and I imagine several others here and on HardForum would, but I don't think there's enough demand to justify the development and certification costs.

Forgive me if I don't take his word for it until there's a physical product that's both been reviewed by a serious site and has been in consumers hands.

I'm skeptical too so I've been asking for a sample unit to verify myself :p

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I think it's doable, the question is whether there's a market for it. I'd personally love it and I imagine several others here and on HardForum would, but I don't think there's enough demand to justify the development and certification costs.

Help us, clattering sleeve bearing fans. You're our only hope (by raising market pressure via the ire of customers).

Didn't Noctua show off a 15 mm thick 120 mm fan at Computex 2014? After sleeve and HDB, SSO2 might be worth a shot as a drop-in replacement. Though I also recall they said it was due for release in late 2015...oh well.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Yes. They showed both the 120x15mm and 200mm fan at 2014 and 2015 Computex. No ETA or mention otherwise.

There's also a static pressure oriented 120x25mm fan shown at Computex that will come with their U12S replacement.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Help us, clattering sleeve bearing fans. You're our only hope (by raising market pressure via the ire of customers).

That's the thing though, the clacking of the SX500-LG isn't that bad. I personally find it very annoying at times, especially late at night, but unless the ambient noise level is pretty low, it's not that audible. And not everyone is that sensitive to spurious fan noises, so even if they can hear it, it may not bother them.

Didn't Noctua show off a 15 mm thick 120 mm fan at Computex 2014? After sleeve and HDB, SSO2 might be worth a shot as a drop-in replacement. Though I also recall they said it was due for release in late 2015...oh well.

My plan was to test the slim Noctua out, assuming the voltage/RPM range is roughly comparable to the stock fan, but the SX700-LPT may make it unnecessary. I believe the current plan is to use the same fan in the 700W as the 500W, so it may still clack once it turns on, but if it can say off until I'm gaming then I don't think I'll bother replacing it. The video cards will drown it out at that point.

What do you mean after HDB? I don't know of any slim FDB/HDB fans other than the upcoming Noctua. From what I understand SSO/SSO2 is just a FDB with an additional magnet to stabilize the rotor.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
There's also a static pressure oriented 120x25mm fan shown at Computex that will come with their U12S replacement.

The one with the GT-style fan blades, yes? If it ends up resolving the tonality of GTs, they will have a real winner on their hands.

What do you mean after HDB? I don't know of any slim FDB/HDB fans other than the upcoming Noctua. From what I understand SSO/SSO2 is just a FDB with an additional magnet to stabilize the rotor.

Gelid makes a 120x20 mm FDB, it's quite loud and doesn't like being upside down. The one I had needed extra washers and eventually a rubber gasket because it would grind against the bottom of my Define R4. Some might also say that F/HDB is a fancy rifle bearing (Bitfenix markets their rifle bearing Spectre/Spectre Pro as HDB), but I like to be specific.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Gotcha. Only a 15mm would fit in the SX500-LG so I wasn't considering 20mm. Which seems like a somewhat useless thickness fan. It's not much smaller than standard but most applications needing a thin fan (like a SFX-L PSU) require 15mm.

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Sooooo, i don't mean to brag but I already have the Ncase M1, a custom M3A2 mini and looking to get the Project mATX, the A4-SFX, and of course the (Nova). I do not know what I'm gonna use all these cases for but I guess most of them would look nice just sitting there :confused:. I need some updates ppl! I haven't harassed you in a while! k thanks

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Any of the M3A2 cases is quite a catch. I think there's only a couple of those around.

Not much to say unfortunately, we're still waiting on a few details.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Damn you can barely even get any pictures of the M3A2 case. The banner on indiegogo seems to conflict with all the other pictures I found as well. It had some very nice design cues, though.

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
I don't want to hijack this thread but here it is. Only one of these made unlike the prototypes found on indiegogo. Top pic is for size comparison. On the left is the Jonsbo V2 I ordered from china and on the right is the Streacom F1C modified.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Gotcha. Only a 15mm would fit in the SX500-LG so I wasn't considering 20mm. Which seems like a somewhat useless thickness fan. It's not much smaller than standard but most applications needing a thin fan (like a SFX-L PSU) require 15mm.

It's only useless until you need that last 5 mm but don't want sleeve bearings in a horizontal orientation :D. I believe it was designed to be the thickness of a PCI slot as part of some bizarre...warm air churner.

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=13&id=109

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't want to hijack this thread but here it is.

Is that one of the Paradise Desks?

It's only useless until you need that last 5 mm but don't want sleeve bearings in a horizontal orientation :D.

I suppose there are use cases for a 20mm fan but it'd be few and far between.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Spotted the (2014) sketchup file in the first post and did the following;

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
AMD FX-8350
Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS
Silverstone 450w SFX
2x ssds
R7-360 (gtx550 in the images as a placeholder)
Purple. Lots of purple.

FriendofNova

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 25, 2015
Well it's close to end of year has any news of when the cases are going to be produced been released?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes! Make it purple!!

I'd like to do a purple variant but it'll depend on how many orders we get.

Well it's close to end of year has any news of when the cases are going to be produced been released?

Due to some poor planning on our part and unexpected delays we're still working on getting things finalized.

Reactions: FriendofNova
Status
Not open for further replies.