guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Reactions: rfarmer

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I recently bought an RTX A2000 and was wondering if I could "safely" use an HDPLEX250W GaN unit where the front fans sit and use a Weipu connector for some brickless goodness.

The idea would be to make a custom bracket based on the fan bracket model @Lone shared, that would still allow some air to escape from the front.

Did anyone try a build with no front fan at all ?

My components are i9-10900T, C7G with Noctua slim chromax 92mm, Asus Z490-I, 32GB b-die Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB, RTX A2000 12GB.

I'm also considering swapping the C7G for a Thermalright AXP120-X67 as it is the biggest cooler that fits my stupidly tall Asus Z490-I and Corsair Dominator Platinum.

Edit: might be worth mentioning, but I have one of the latest batches with the extended GPU vents.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Here's a first attempt at designing an adapter to replace the front fans. I do not have an SKP model of the HDPLEX250W GaN, but it is backward compatible with the 400W HIFI... so here I go :

Lone L5 - HDPLEX250W GaN (1).png

Edit: Oops, wanted to post it in my Lone workstation thread, don't want to derail this one.

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Here's a first attempt at designing an adapter to replace the front fans. I do not have an SKP model of the HDPLEX250W GaN, but it is backward compatible with the 400W HIFI... so here I go :

Here's a SKP file converted from the step file from the HDPlex site to confirm fitment. It only has the casing but it should do.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
Any chance on another production run for these, given the popularity of the A2000, and for those with deep pockets the new SFF A4000 card, the L5 is the only case around that looks the goods for these builds without serious gpu mods. .

that, or is there any near identical alternatives, i know CustomMod have a similar looking case, but its not setup for gpu usage, nor does the cooling look as good. . the L5 is one of the best looking, and designed LP gpu setup cases around imo, and i have been silently waiting for another production run. . . .

Sean

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 11, 2023
Any chance on another production run for these, given the popularity of the A2000, and for those with deep pockets the new SFF A4000 card, the L5 is the only case around that looks the goods for these builds without serious gpu mods. .

that, or is there any near identical alternatives, i know CustomMod have a similar looking case, but its not setup for gpu usage, nor does the cooling look as good. . the L5 is one of the best looking, and designed LP gpu setup cases around imo, and i have been silently waiting for another production run. . . .
Me too, I would like to buy a L5 in 2023.

nubbins

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2021
That picture looks great, thank you sharing. I kick myself every day that I didn’t order one of these on the final sprint.

it was basically an impulse buy for me but I like it a lot more and use it a lot more than my HT5. The only advantage for the HT5 I can think of is that it lends itself better to internal PSUs like the 200W AC-DC (which I have) or the new 250W GaN (which I might try later), but it's still at the cost of being able to fit the A2000, which honestly outweighs any advantage of internal PSU personally

If anyone knows of a good hardcase sized for the L5, I would be interested in getting one. Just using a projector bag right now and while it fits the L5 + Dell brick + Xbox controller + MX Master pretty well, it offers woefully inadequate protection

Reactions: August and Soul_Est

nubbins

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2021
So I found a case for the L5, it's Condition1's 14" medium case. Think the reason I didn't find out about them sooner was because they seem to be mostly in the gun community. Works great, much cheaper than Nanuk 915 and Pelican 1400. Quality more than comparable to Nanuk, but maybe not Pelican. Good enough.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Asrock industrial thin mini-itx boards with full 16X PCIe slot are the perfect match for the L5 case.
Enough place to fit a HDPLEX 200W 19V AC-DC adapter over the sodimm slots, if you happen to have one, or lucky enough to track one down.

Below a picture of a successful test of an Asrock IMB-1214, with an i7 9700F cooled by a modded Jonsbo CR-701 cooler.

I did not go through the hassle of making a bracket to secure the HDPLEX unit (pretty easy, just cut an aluminium plate and screw it with two standoffs into the mobo holes).

Sadlly that was my latest build with that case as I am going to put it on sale :(