Completed Project PURE: 3L APU case, MEANWELL Support

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio I just ordered a Black Ridge from OC.co.uk 2 days ago, should come in tomorrow!
Are you using the stock fan it comes with? I'll be doing a LOT of temp testing once I get all my parts in, Ryzen 2400g until I upgrade to a 3000 APU later.
As written in the post and as you can see on the picture I've replaced the fan with the Thermalright 100mm. In the past, I've tested the Blackridge one and the Noctua A9x14mm with a 9900K. The temps were almost the same, only a better sound and lower noise with the Noctua. So, you can skip the test and enjoy the build!

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
@fabio that looks small enough to fit between the gpu and mobo on the front side, although that placement seems suboptimal.
Maybe even cram it in next to the power button!

EDIT: Sorry thought this was the S4M thread for a minute! But with that cable you could def fit that on the front panel of the Pure!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio The previous test(s) might have been with the Rev 1 Black Ridge, the 2nd one is supposed to fix the problems.
Yes, were done with the V1 problem. Well, there were not "real problem". It had solder issued on the heatpipes, and the performance were similar to the Noctua L9i.
Now it perform better, that's it!
With a 95w CPU, it's super ok! With your 65W, even better! Remember that staying under stress around 85 degrees for a CPU is FINE! :)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio that looks small enough to fit between the gpu and mobo on the front side, although that placement seems suboptimal.
Maybe even cram it in next to the power button!

EDIT: Sorry thought this was the S4M thread for a minute! But with that cable you could def fit that on the front panel of the Pure!
It's the reason why. There is a cutout for the USB-C port on the back, near by the Power Cord plug.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Note, the cutout has a pitch of 20mm for the screws. Some USB c connectors use 13mm pitch.

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
Just sawed off the AM3 portion of the Black Ridge cooler's mounting hardware. Running Prime95 for about 20 minutes and the Black Ridge with an A9-14pwm is a solid 10 degrees cooler than the L9a.

Hentrox

Chassis Packer
Nov 17, 2018
Just sawed off the AM3 portion of the Black Ridge cooler's mounting hardware. Running Prime95 for about 20 minutes and the Black Ridge with an A9-14pwm is a solid 10 degrees cooler than the L9a.
Are you running the fan so it sucks air through the cooler or pushes it out (upwards)?

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
It would likely do better pushing air down into the case.

Tested earlier and got about 4-5 degrees hotter on the CPU when pulling air down/in.
All other sensors were within 1-2 degrees either way.

Kind of a pain to swap the fan direction on the Blackridge or I would do more testing.

Reactions: Thehack

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Tested earlier and got about 4-5 degrees hotter on the CPU when pulling air down/in.
All other sensors were within 1-2 degrees either way.

Kind of a pain to swap the fan direction on the Blackridge or I would do more testing.

Wow, I did not expect that. I would think that it would have trouble bringing in cool air, since the vents are quite far.

Thank you for testing.

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Power on and functionally works like a regular pc?
Yes! No problem at all! Just finished to install Windows in the 905p.
I love this simple 4pin cable to power it!
Next days I will test the Xeon under load. The MB allows to setup the long and short power duration wattage, means that maybe can sustain load at an higher clocks if set properly?
Let’s see!

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yes! No problem at all! Just finished to install Windows in the 905p.
I love this simple 4pin cable to power it!
Next days I will test the Xeon under load. The MB allows to setup the long and short power duration wattage, means that maybe can sustain load an higher clocks if set properly?
Let’s see!

You win the thread for cleanest setup.

You should make a post on sffpc. More people should know about this board.

Reactions: reifnotreef

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
You win the thread for cleanest setup.

You should make a post on sffpc. More people should know about this board.
I will! What is SFFPC? You mean a build log?
Thanks a lot man! Now I wait for your version with LOW profile GPU support! ?