Power Supply A Guide to 12V PSU

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hello homeduck and welcome to the forum,
I have bought a second hand silverstone ml09b case which hosts Sfx PSU, Hw is made up an asrock j4105 mb, 2 ssd and a slim sata drive. How can I understand which Meanwell psu fits my purpose? I mean if 100W or 150W or more.
With such hardware, PSU requirements are quite low. This is what I found:
My Mini-ITX computer with J4105 CPU, 8 GB RAM and 3 SSD (data 1 TB + 2 TB and system 16 GB on USB3) draws a power of almost 6 watts in idle and 12 watts when booting the computer. (source: https://forum.openmediavault.org/in...t-can-come-close-to-arm-for-power-efficiency/)

But since you already have chosen a case that is compatible with an SFX PSU, I would just go with that kind of PSU form factor.
What is your aim at going 12V?

homeduck

Cable Smoosher
Jan 6, 2024
Hello homeduck and welcome to the forum,

With such hardware, PSU requirements are quite low. This is what I found:
My Mini-ITX computer with J4105 CPU, 8 GB RAM and 3 SSD (data 1 TB + 2 TB and system 16 GB on USB3) draws a power of almost 6 watts in idle and 12 watts when booting the computer. (source: https://forum.openmediavault.org/in...t-can-come-close-to-arm-for-power-efficiency/)

But since you already have chosen a case that is compatible with an SFX PSU, I would just go with that kind of PSU form factor.
What is your aim at going 12V?
Thank you for your feedback, idea is to have a totally silent pc . So I would avoid any sfx psu with a fan (fanless are more expensive than pico + Meanwell 12v).

I run a test with a smart plug checking power consumption. I had 13W during startup and 8w during usage but let me share that i was using a temporary solution with a LC power case (75W power brick) and a single ssd.
anyway even with a “full configured” (2ssd and sata dvd drive) I should not have issue in using a Meanwell 100/120watt.

I am considering a rps-120-12 or Lrs-100-150-12.
Former is smaller and it has less ripple, latter is bigger but less expensive.

i need to check how much space i will have on the case once I have mounted both ssd on the drive support, but i would go with rps

Reactions: joemetry and BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
i need to check how much space i will have on the case once I have mounted both ssd on the drive support, but i would go with rps
RPS-120-12 looks good.
If a more flat PSU fits better in the available space, have a look at the LSP-160-12T. More expensive though...

homeduck

Cable Smoosher
Jan 6, 2024
RPS-120-12 looks good.
If a more flat PSU fits better in the available space, have a look at the LSP-160-12T. More expensive though...
I read about lsp (and alao uhp) in a guide on a website (I think author is member of this community) but then i preferred to go with rsp as it is smaller (10*6*4 cm) and to be honest I am not sure to keep using the silverstone case as It is quite big. I am having a look at Itel Spirit case but I need to understand how I can install 2 ssd + 1 odd. Anyway, I received rps yesterday, together with the rest of BoM reported in the guide at the beginning of this thread.

homeduck

Cable Smoosher
Jan 6, 2024

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I saw some example from digikey and other site, they looks similar to meanwell .
Which is the build in the picture? Case and pico psu looks nice and well Made

yes, very similar to Meanwell ... XD

Here is the link to the build: