Completed Project PURE: 3L APU case, MEANWELL Support

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack I am planning the build in your amazing case!
I am thinking to use the Asrock C246 WSI, but I’ve realized now that it doesn’t use the common ATX24 pin, but a 4pin 12V ATX plus the 8Pin EPS.
Do you have an idea how to power this boards? I have a KMPKT 200w and bought a Meanwell RPS 200 24V.

Or maybe you have something else to propose to reduce the amount of cables inside?
Thanks a lot!
Sweet!

I took a quick look at the manual the if you really want to use this board, you need use a custom connector from a plugin board.

Take a look at the manual and note the 4pin atx connector. You need to make a custom 24 pin cable that breaks out the 5vsb, pwrgood and other signals. It also needs to wire 12V into the 8 pin connector.

Quite a bit of work but it's possible.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Sweet!

I took a quick look at the manual the if you really want to use this board, you need use a custom connector from a plugin board.

Take a look at the manual and note the 4pin atx connector. You need to make a custom 24 pin cable that breaks out the 5vsb, pwrgood and other signals. It also needs to wire 12V into the 8 pin connector.

Cool! I’ve asked to Asrock if any kind of adapter is included. Let’s see!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Sweet!

ASRock just replied to me

“Hi, Fabio,
Thanks for the inquiry.
This board can support DC12 in and ATX24+8 both.
We use an adapter cable(bundled in box) for ATX24 to one onboard 4 pin header and 8pin to motherboard for 12V.
Have a nice day
Weishi”

This means that:

I CAN PLUG THE MEANWELL 4PIN 12V (the one that you sell, not the 24v I’ve bought) directly in the 4pin DC12 of the mobo?

This will be so cool!

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
ASRock just replied to me

“Hi, Fabio,
Thanks for the inquiry.
This board can support DC12 in and ATX24+8 both.
We use an adapter cable(bundled in box) for ATX24 to one onboard 4 pin header and 8pin to motherboard for 12V.
Have a nice day
Weishi”

This means that:

I CAN PLUG THE MEANWELL 4PIN 12V (the one that you sell, not the 24v I’ve bought) directly in the 4pin DC12 of the mobo?

This will be so cool!

It is a possibility. A few motherboards have this feature. As usual, make sure your research is covered. You need an output adapter to hook up the meanwell PSU.

If you get the j-hack output adapter, it's a female type, so you need a male to male 4 pin.

If you get the Minibox version it is a male type. Since the 8 pin is near where the psu is, it is likely just a direct plug into the motherboard, no other extension required.

Of course, don't plug it into the 4 pin as that is where the signal stuff is. It'll fry your board. Only plug into the 8 pin jack.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
It is a possibility. A few motherboards have this feature. As usual, make sure your research is covered. You need an output adapter to hook up the meanwell PSU.

If you get the j-hack output adapter, it's a female type, so you need a male to male 4 pin.

If you get the Minibox version it is a male type. Since the 8 pin is near where the psu is, it is likely just a direct plug into the motherboard, no other extension required.

Of course, don't plug it into the 4 pin as that is where the signal stuff is. It'll fry your board. Only plug into the 8 pin jack.
Thanks! So don’t need to use the 4 pin input?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Then I hope the manufacture will change to this new layout!

But so, for what is needed the 4pin if I don’t need to plug the 12V bricks to it? To use the adapter only?

Sorry for all this question, I am trying to learn!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Then I hope the manufacture will change to this new layout!

But so, for what is needed the 4pin if I don’t need to plug the 12V bricks to it? To use the adapter only?

Sorry for all this question, I am trying to learn!

So the 4 pin on the motherboard provides a couple signal to work with an Atx PSU.

A 12V DC PSU does not need these signals. So if you're using any type of simple ac-dc PSU, you don't use the motherboards 4 pin.

So if you are doing pure 12V, you just plug the 12V output into the 8 pin. You do not need to populate all 8 pins. The meanwell output adapter is a 4pin connector and can provide enough power for such a small build.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
So the 4 pin on the motherboard provides a couple signal to work with an Atx PSU.

A 12V DC PSU does not need these signals. So if you're using any type of simple ac-dc PSU, you don't use the motherboards 4 pin.

So if you are doing pure 12V, you just plug the 12V output into the 8 pin. You do not need to populate all 8 pins. The meanwell output adapter is a 4pin connector and can provide enough power for such a small build.
Thanks a lot!
Ordered also the Xeon 2176G. Now is just a matter of waiting for everything!
I will send update here if the build!
Again, thank you for the precious support!