Completed Project PURE: 3L APU case, MEANWELL Support

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Honestly, been thinking of selling it and the S4M-C.

It's a great case, just got tired of water cooling :\
If I have the cash when you decide to I’d more than happily grab it off your hands, I was a day late on ordering one a while back so I ended up picking up an ncase instead and loved it but it just wasn’t exactly what I wanted at the time XD lol

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2016
Well, if you get tired of the slim brown noctua fan with the l9i/l9a, a 92mm redux fan fits. Took the redux from my Cerberus X to give it a try. It's a tight fit, the screws are pushed against the panel but no bowing occurs.

Temperature between the 2 fans were identical. This was with running a 2400g at 3.7ghz with 1.2v, with the standard fan profile preset in the bios. Noise seemed better with the redux fan even though it was so close to the side panel.

I'll be picking one up for my Pure :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Thehack

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Well, if you get tired of the slim brown noctua fan with the l9i/l9a, a 92mm redux fan fits. Took the redux from my Cerberus X to give it a try. It's a tight fit, the screws are pushed against the panel but no bowing occurs.

Temperature between the 2 fans were identical. This was with running a 2400g at 3.7ghz with 1.2v, with the standard fan profile preset in the bios. Noise seemed better with the redux fan even though it was so close to the side panel.

I'll be picking one up for my Pure :)

Looks really good! It should fit exactly, as it has 48mm cooler clearance.

I think that the size of the vents being large themselves help a lot with the noise. The smaller the ventilation the more turbulence. Good to hear it straight from a customer that there is no con to using the Redux.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I also like using the redux fans because of the colour. Note, the NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM has a max rotational speed of 1600 RPM (+/- 10%), whereas the stock NF-A9x14 is 2200 RPM. I think this is perhaps one reason why it seems quieter to me also. In some cases the stock fan will outperform the redux due to the difference in max speed. I just mention this because it took me a while before I realized this myself. :)

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2016
Yeah, good point. I meant to monitor the RPMs of the fan when running a stress test but forgot all about it :\

The original brown fan is reinstalled while I wait for another redux fan. Can always check the RPMs next time :thumb:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I just ordered some black 92mm maglev fans.

These are DC type only, so if you'd have to check your motherboard if it has DC controls. Most mobos nowadays have it, I know mine has it.

I'll be resleeving them and carrying in the store if anybody is interested.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
I just ordered some black 92mm maglev fans.

These are DC type only, so if you'd have to check your motherboard if it has DC controls. Most mobos nowadays have it, I know mine has it.

I'll be resleeving them and carrying in the store if anybody is interested.
i'm definitely interested. i'd love to see how they compare to the 92mm gentle typhoon.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Got them in.

I just finished sleeving them.

Let me know if you want one directly before they go on the store.

Manufacturer Specs:
OEM Sunon 92mm
3 Pin Connector (DC only)
Bearing type: MAGLEV
2700 RPM
45 CFM
32 DBA

Last edited:

Hentrox

Chassis Packer
Nov 17, 2018
Hi guys. I have this case + the 200w mean well PSU and a dc-dc 120w connector, thus my motherboard + CPU + ram etc is limited to 120w (will be 160w in the future when I get the 160w dc-dc adapter). I am thinking about attaching a pcie riser cable (with some modding) in order to game on, however I've heard that gpu's pull 75w out of the motherboard through the pcie slot, this would cripple my CPU.. may even render it unusable. Does anyone know anyway to force the gpu to just use power (or for the most part) from the 6-pin/8pin cords coming from the external PSU I would use? (I've searched this on google, but no success..) thanks..

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hi guys. I have this case + the 200w mean well PSU and a dc-dc 120w connector, thus my motherboard + CPU + ram etc is limited to 120w (will be 160w in the future when I get the 160w dc-dc adapter). I am thinking about attaching a pcie riser cable (with some modding) in order to game on, however I've heard that gpu's pull 75w out of the motherboard through the pcie slot, this would cripple my CPU.. may even render it unusable. Does anyone know anyway to force the gpu to just use power (or for the most part) from the 6-pin/8pin cords coming from the external PSU I would use? (I've searched this on google, but no success..) thanks..

There is no way to reduce since it is controlled via firmware. If you can bios mod then maybe.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Some updates:

The 160W version was recently tested. The performance is pretty good and as expected. I sent some feedback. It'll pair nicely with any 12V internal or external psu.

In the future, I'll also be developing a modified MW psu for this case. It'll completely reduce standby coil whine. But that's further down the pipeline.

Reactions: eutholevonik

Kdrs0122

Caliper Novice
Aug 28, 2018
The plugin units proved to be quite popular. I'm about to be out of stock, and I'm not sure I can restock them anytime soon. This may require a custom design one much earlier than planned.
Any update on when the plugin units will be available again? Or any suggestions on a suitable replacement? Apologies if you've answered this already.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I have one question:
with the meanwell installed, there is space for one 2.5" SSD? If yes, where?
Thanks a lot!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Lol thanks for helping out.

Any update on when the plugin units will be available again? Or any suggestions on a suitable replacement? Apologies if you've answered this already.

I restocked two. I'm moving the Distro 400 version over to the regular standalone version.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@Thehack I am planning the build in your amazing case!
I am thinking to use the Asrock C246 WSI, but I’ve realized now that it doesn’t use the common ATX24 pin, but a 4pin 12V ATX plus the 8Pin EPS.
Do you have an idea how to power this boards? I have a KMPKT 200w and bought a Meanwell RPS 200 24V.

Or maybe you have something else to propose to reduce the amount of cables inside?
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino