Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

KingSpades

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2018
Radiator of NZXT x42 is slightly bigger than the radiators which xCase LE usually supports - 140mm versus 120mm. But extending the length of the case from 360mm to 370mm and width from 330mm to 350mm would solve the problem.
I see, apologies. What would be the best performing 120mm aio that could fit in there?

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
The case is great! I took some photos.

This is a brickless / fanless build using HDPlex ACDC and Arctic Alpine 11.

This hangs under the desk with a strap installed to the side of the case.

The heat sink is exposed without the front lid in place. Obviously some of the lid needs to be cut to fit it in. Not sure yet if I want to commit to cutting it.

CPU temperature looks to be around 45C under normal load with 26C room temperature. At the moment, it is 37C while I am writing this. It is Intel 6700T with TDP rated 35W.

GPU is around 50C but it can get to up to around 80C while playing DotA 2, etc. It is NVidia GT 1030 with TDP rated 30W.

I also have Noctua NH-L9i if I want to go with that instead.

ACDC is 80W but haven't had issues. I also have 160W HDPlex ACDC if necessary. 160W version is bigger but still fits in.

Part list is here without the 2.5 inch SSDs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GiantEnemyCrab/saved/bV9kTW

Last edited:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018

The heat sink is exposed without the front lid in place. Obviously some of the lid needs to be cut to fit it in. Not sure yet if I want to commit to cutting it.

CPU temperature looks to be around 45C under normal load with 26C room temperature. At the moment, it is 37C while I am writing this. It is Intel 6700T with TDP rated 35W.

GPU is around 50C but it can get to up to around 80C while playing DotA 2, etc. It is NVidia GT 1030 with TDP rated 30W.

ACDC is 80W but haven't had issues. I also have 160W HDPlex ACDC if necessary. 160W version is bigger but still fits in.

That's so cute.

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
That layout sounds great. We'll definitelly consider making it our next project.

No problem, we can do it at no additional cost. Clear acrylic panels look amazing. Please leave a comment at checkout or send me a message after placing an order and we'll make it happen.

@Matt3D i am new to this forum, registered after a buddy of mine tipped me about it when i talked to him about my, very frustrating, search for a mitx that i would actually enjoy in form and function, for my next build and i stumbled upon yours.

I don't have any components other than the EVGA 980ti SC ACX2.0+ and 2 of the 3 SSDs (i think there isnt space for all 3??) that is folllowing me from my current ATX build.

The GPU dimensions according to the website are:

• Height: 4.376in - 111.15mm
  • Length: 10.5in - 266.7mm

I am going to build a Ryzen 2700x or 2600x build probably, but the 8400 is still a possibility so i would ask you to take into account i haven't decided in anything other than the GSkill Ram Kit (2x8gb) Trident Z.

The PSU is still something i haven't decided, i wil chose SFX-L because of noise issues and i will probably be looking into something around:

Silverstone SX800-LTI , lian li pe 750, EVGA Supernova G3 Series 650/750 or Bequiet SFX L 600 as my choices. ( i think 600 w will suffice).

I am currently living in Sweden so everything will depend on what i am going to be able to buy here.

So i will ask you some help with choosing the proper chassis and if it's possible to get 2 smoked full-lenght acrylic side panels, for both sides (so the system can be seen with the rgb lighting) and if it's possible to laser-cut a chosen shape (for example my nickname) in the GPU area to help in both form and function.

My other question would be the waiting time, since i have 3 weeks before i have to ship my current computer (that is already sold to a friend) back home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Oct 13, 2017

Great build. Let me know how your strap holds up. I was thinking of doing the same thing but had concerns the weight of the PC would be too great for the case/PC. Also, where did you get the hook?

Reactions: A415Hz

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Great build. Let me know how your strap holds up. I was thinking of doing the same thing but had concerns the weight of the PC would be too great for the case/PC. Also, where did you get the hook?

The hook is called AmoVee Headphone Hanger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J6HDDL

I am sure there are fancier choices than that, though...

If the strap or the hook fails, I can update.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I see, apologies. What would be the best performing 120mm aio that could fit in there?

Check out recently released NZXT M22 and Corsair H60 2018 edition. If you want to fit NZXT X42 we can extend dimensions of the case as a custom service.

With that stacked design mentioned, any possibility in seeing a single-slot gpu version with a stacked layout?

Do you mean back-to-back design like Dan's case for example but for 1 slot graphics cards?

I'm glad you like it, thanks for posting your build!

@Matt3D i am new to this forum, registered after a buddy of mine tipped me about it when i talked to him about my, very frustrating, search for a mitx that i would actually enjoy in form and function, for my next build and i stumbled upon yours.

I don't have any components other than the EVGA 980ti SC ACX2.0+ and 2 of the 3 SSDs (i think there isnt space for all 3??) that is folllowing me from my current ATX build.

The GPU dimensions according to the website are:

• Height: 4.376in - 111.15mm
  • Length: 10.5in - 266.7mm

I am going to build a Ryzen 2700x or 2600x build probably, but the 8400 is still a possibility so i would ask you to take into account i haven't decided in anything other than the GSkill Ram Kit (2x8gb) Trident Z.

The PSU is still something i haven't decided, i wil chose SFX-L because of noise issues and i will probably be looking into something around:

Silverstone SX800-LTI , lian li pe 750, EVGA Supernova G3 Series 650/750 or Bequiet SFX L 600 as my choices. ( i think 600 w will suffice).

I am currently living in Sweden so everything will depend on what i am going to be able to buy here.

So i will ask you some help with choosing the proper chassis and if it's possible to get 2 smoked full-lenght acrylic side panels, for both sides (so the system can be seen with the rgb lighting) and if it's possible to laser-cut a chosen shape (for example my nickname) in the GPU area to help in both form and function.

My other question would be the waiting time, since i have 3 weeks before i have to ship my current computer (that is already sold to a friend) back home.

xCase L is perfect for those components. Officially we include the bracket for 2 SSD's, but if you'd like we can make one for 3 SSD's. Just leave us a note at checkout. The same goes for smoked acrylic side panels. We can laser-cut a chosen shape for a small fee - our supplier charges extra for that.

An official lead time is 2 weeks but manufacturing usually takes 1.5 week. Cases are shipped from Poland so there is 99% chance that the case would arrive before you would ship your current computer.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
So @Matt3D i just have to write what i want and wait for an invoice? And how do i send to you the shape that i want?

It's good it's shipped from Poland since it's EU, i was worrying about the extra-import fees.

daxiongmao87

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2017
@Matt3D Really I mean a horizontally laid-out mini itx case that supports a single slot GPU and a fullheight mini itx (not thin-itx), but also keeping the footprint as small as possible. An (ugly) example would be this

In this layout though there's extra unneeded (for my use) space to the right of the mobo the pcie slot is above the mobo. Not sure how that kind of layout would work with a 1050 ti (and of course there is no vent on the top of the case). I'm sure someone could make something like this work, specially if maybe you rotate the GPU so that it sits under the mobo like some divided cases are like.

Anyway to answer your question, I think so? Except I think dan cases are vertical? I'm not sure, I am not too familiar with a lot of the builds on here, just haven't seen one that I'd jump on

Last edited:

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
So i decided to buy this case, just need to make sure everything will fit because it will have a custom size (it's an LE) and maybe (still waiting for @Matt3D to reply if it's doable) 2 custom side panels.

This is a very interesting case and i am very curious about it. Hopefully in the end some things, if not all, will be doable. It will be a fun project either way.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
So i decided to buy this case, just need to make sure everything will fit because it will have a custom size (it's an LE) and maybe (still waiting for @Matt3D to reply if it's doable) 2 custom side panels.

This is a very interesting case and i am very curious about it. Hopefully in the end some things, if not all, will be doable. It will be a fun project either way.
It sounded like he said that the custom side panels were doable(incase you accidentally missed it):

"Just leave us a note at checkout. The same goes for smoked acrylic side panels. We can laser-cut a chosen shape for a small fee - our supplier charges extra for that."

bOcy

Chassis Packer
Mar 24, 2018
Hi OP,

1) can you make your xCase L / LE able to receive full mATX motherboards (245x245, with guniq plug/psu and full size gpu) ? Dimensions are already sufficient, just need extra standoffs and reposition GPU /SSD/HDD. That wall near your proposed SFX PSU will be blocking and needs to be removed too.

Even the xcase me has sufficient dimensions to receive smaller matx motherboards with external brick

2) plan to make one with translucent/semi translucent material? or even heat sensitive material

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt3D

bOcy

Chassis Packer
Mar 24, 2018

Can you bend the fins?

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
It sounded like he said that the custom side panels were doable(incase you accidentally missed it):

"Just leave us a note at checkout. The same goes for smoked acrylic side panels. We can laser-cut a chosen shape for a small fee - our supplier charges extra for that."

We continued via PM. If everything goes as planned it will be a good showcase for them as well.

Scrivyyy

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
Are there any video reviews on these cases? I love to see that and hopefully it can draw more attention.

I got my Xcase S the other week and I was actually going to make one myself! I don’t have a big YouTube channel or anything but I figured with some decent editing and my 24MP camera I could make something nice out of it. Because yeah, for how great of a concept this case is, it certainly deserves more publicity than it has.