Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Hey Matt,
I love these cases, but I was wondering if you had planned an xCase Mini or something? Basically the small case without the GPU side? Room for an internal PSU would rock though. I'm about to pull the plug on the Streacom F1C, but I don't love it. It does fit my needs more than any other case I've found (and that looks even somewhat decent).

Please say yes. Also, sorry if someone has already asked, reading 11 pages of post was out of the question at the moment!

Hi! I have no such plans for the near future. But I get questions about an APU case every now and then so one day I'll just sit down and do it :) Which internal PSU do you have in mind?

Reactions: alucard0712_rus

keidi

Case Bender
Mar 16, 2018
Hi Matt,

The case design looks great!

I'm interested in building a brickless system with a Ryzen 5 and a GTX 1070 ITX.

As for power options, it looks like I will need that combo HDPLEX internal 300W AC adapter HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX PSU.

Would the xCase ME be the best candidate for that?

Also, are your case dimensions external or internal?

Thanks so much!

K

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Hi Matt,

The case design looks great!

I'm interested in building a brickless system with a Ryzen 5 and a GTX 1070 ITX.

As for power options, it looks like I will need that combo HDPLEX internal 300W AC adapter HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX PSU.

Would the xCase ME be the best candidate for that?

Also, are your case dimensions external or internal?

Thanks so much!

K

Thanks! You can fit these components in both xCase M and ME. The difference would be the maximum CPU cooler height which is 47mm in xCase M and 70mm in xCase ME. Are you considering GTX 1070 from MSI or Gigabyte? MSI version is a bit longer measuring 175mm. The width of the case would have to be extended from 240 fo 245mm to comfortably fit it next to HD-PLEX 300W AC-DC unit. Let me know, extending wouldn't be a problem at all. I'm considering doing it permanently. Case dimensions are external. Thickness of the bezel is 10mm on each side and thickness of each side panel is 3mm.

I took a couple of photos of the green/black and an all white versions which were manufactured recently.

Many people were asking about the pictures showing the finish of the case. From half a meter or more the surface looks perfectly smooth. If someone would take a closer look the surface looks like this:

Bottom surfaces have a more distinctive surface which allows the printed part to be removed from the printer. The design was carefully considered and there are very few of them visible from the outside of the case.

Last edited:

SyncGuy

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2016
I saw this..... and i cried.... LOL!

Awesome work! Need your advise for transfer of the following key components:

R7 1700 + AsRock AB350 ITX Fatality
MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X (with plans to upgrade to 1080ti version)
M2 SSD + 2 SSD
Corsair 600w SFX PSU

I suppose xCase LE is the smallest best for me, right?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I saw this..... and i cried.... LOL!

Awesome work! Need your advise for transfer of the following key components:

R7 1700 + AsRock AB350 ITX Fatality
MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X (with plans to upgrade to 1080ti version)
M2 SSD + 2 SSD
Corsair 600w SFX PSU

I suppose xCase LE is the smallest best for me, right?

MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X is a huge graphics card. Could you measure the width of the case from the bottom of the PCI-E connector to the top of the PCB? I'd need this dimension to confirm that it's going to fit the case. Exactly the same as measured here:

Which CPU cooler are you using? If it's lower than 47mm like Noctula L9i or Cryorig C7 these components should fit in xCase L.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Pages presenting xCase S, M and L versions are ready.

www.modivio.com/xcase-s
www.modivio.com/xcase-m
www.modivio.com/xcase-l

A little bonus - enjoy the first pictures of xCase L!

Hello @Matt3D ,

Which one of your cases will fit a EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Elite? Its 300mm x 143mm x double slot according to evga specs page:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6796-K2

Also, I have an M2 NVME drive, which i believe goes in the back for most mini itx boards, does your case support it?

And how many 2.5" SSDs can I install with the 1080ti taking most of the space?

It's a bit too wide to fit into standard xCase L or LE but I'd gladly extend the case by approx. 20mm to make it fit. In such scenario case will be able to fit 2 SSD drives. If you're interested let me know which CPU cooler are you planning to use - that would be the deciding factor between L and LE versions.

Scrivyyy

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
Hey Matt! I just ordered an Xcase S the other day. Do you think, with the opposite to motherboard layout I ordered, it would be possible to fit an ultra slim power brick if I installed a low profile 1050ti? Gigabyte makes one that’s 167mm long, meaning it would fit inside, but that would leave room between the top of the card and the edge of the case. Do you know if an ac-dc adapter of a small, slim form factor could fit there?

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Oct 13, 2017
Hey Matt! I just ordered an Xcase S the other day. Do you think, with the opposite to motherboard layout I ordered, it would be possible to fit an ultra slim power brick if I installed a low profile 1050ti? Gigabyte makes one that’s 167mm long, meaning it would fit inside, but that would leave room between the top of the card and the edge of the case. Do you know if an ac-dc adapter of a small, slim form factor could fit there?

Here's a picture of the Gigabyte 1050 in a custom xCase that is smaller than the S. The HDPLEX 160W will fit with room to spare.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Pages for all versions of the case are up and running!

www.modivio.com/xcase-se
www.modivio.com/xcase-me
www.modivio.com/xcase-le

Hi! Hank0 mostly covered the answer. You can comfortably fit HD-PLEX 160W AC-DC unit inside xCase S when a low-profile graphics card is used. There are no mounting points to do so but you can pick up a piece of velcro or double-sided tape and mount it to the side panel.

Does anybody know of an RGB 16mm vandal switch?

There was a project of a RGB vandal button but I believe it's stalled now - https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/iris-16-rgb-vandal-button.1055/ . It would be super cool if such button existed but the solution isn't trivial, it requires the button to be connected to the USB port, usage of the microcontroller etc.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017

www.modivio.com/xcase-se
www.modivio.com/xcase-me
www.modivio.com/xcase-le

Hi! Hank0 mostly covered the answer. You can comfortably fit HD-PLEX 160W AC-DC unit inside xCase S when a low-profile graphics card is used. There are no mounting points to do so but you can pick up a piece of velcro or double-sided tape and mount it to the side panel.

There was a project of a RGB vandal button but I believe it's stalled now - https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/iris-16-rgb-vandal-button.1055/ . It would be super cool if such button existed but the solution isn't trivial, it requires the button to be connected to the USB port, usage of the microcontroller etc.
Also that project is stalled indefinitely

VaguelyValiant

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 9, 2018
In deciding between a ME / L and I'm not sure if there's been discussion about the below:
1. thermals (idle/50%/load)
2. acoustics ('' / '' / '')
3. portability into a backpack / luggage (current backpack fits me - want to see if worth getting new backpack)

it'd be great if there were benchmarks. I'm going to run it on 1444p for games like overwatch and some aaa games on high with an MSI 580/1060 on a i5 7600/8600 no OC using the new boards w.o OC from intel + silent fans etc.

i guess the biggest question is, will the internal sfx psu or the extra headroom be a big impact from the ME -> L.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Scrivyyy

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
In deciding between a ME / L and I'm not sure if there's been discussion about the below:
1. thermals (idle/50%/load)
2. acoustics ('' / '' / '')
3. portability into a backpack / luggage (current backpack fits me - want to see if worth getting new backpack)

it'd be great if there were benchmarks. I'm going to run it on 1444p for games like overwatch and some aaa games on high with an MSI 580/1060 on a i5 7600/8600 no OC using the new boards w.o OC from intel + silent fans etc.

i guess the biggest question is, will the internal sfx psu or the extra headroom be a big impact from the ME -> L.

Wouldn’t an ME be more than sufficient? Use the HD Plex 400W DC-ATX with the 300W ac-dc adapter and you’re good to go. More compact than an L. You really don’t need more than 210mm of gpu clearance. So, in summary, I’d assume that the answer is no. You don’t need anything more than 250W for your desired specs and the thermals would probably be very similar, however the ME gives better cpu cooler and fan mount options. Unless you want a longer gtx 1060, which thermally won’t provide a whole lot more benefit at base and light overclocks, go with the ME. But what do I know?

VaguelyValiant

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 9, 2018

www.modivio.com/xcase-se
www.modivio.com/xcase-me
www.modivio.com/xcase-le

mostly covered the answer. You can comfortably fit HD-PLEX 160W AC-DC unit inside xCase S when a low-profile graphics card is used. There are no mounting points to do so but you can pick up a piece of velcro or double-sided tape and mount it to the side panel.

would you produce filters slots on one side of the case?

VaguelyValiant

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 9, 2018
Wouldn’t an ME be more than sufficient? Use the HD Plex 400W DC-ATX with the 300W ac-dc adapter and you’re good to go. More compact than an L. You really don’t need more than 210mm of gpu clearance. So, in summary, I’d assume that the answer is no. You don’t need anything more than 250W for your desired specs and the thermals would probably be very similar, however the ME gives better cpu cooler and fan mount options. Unless you want a longer gtx 1060, which thermally won’t provide a whole lot more benefit at base and light overclocks, go with the ME. But what do I know?

why does the ME give better CPU cooler / fan mount options??
edit; because it's a 80x80 fan compared to 60x60 which is bigger and can run slower.

but how about the PSU, doesn't the adapter combo create a lot more heat for the PC?

Scrivyyy

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
why does the ME give better CPU cooler / fan mount options??
edit; because it's a 80x80 fan compared to 60x60 which is bigger and can run slower.

but how about the PSU, doesn't the adapter combo create a lot more heat for the PC?

The HD Plex combo actually runs at a good temperature, with the heavy duty aluminum heat sinks. With 80mm fans blowing tons of air through the system, your psu shouldn’t at all over heat or affect the overall thermals of the system. And the ME just has more headroom than your standard L, thus the more wide range of cooler support. But really, thermally you won’t have any major differences. They both have plenty room for a 120mm aio so you could always try that for potentially better thermals on your cpu.

Reactions: VaguelyValiant

Scrivyyy

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
Does anyone know how much room there would be between the motherboard and the other end of the case? Like, say I didn’t install a gpu, how much room would there be between the end of the motherboard and the other side?