Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017

MOD EDIT
------------
Original poster last seen on the forum on May 31, 2020 & does not seem to be responsive. Many (if not all) models on Modivio website are marked as out of stock. Caveat emptor.

Company's website - www.modivio.com

xCase is a line of console-style computer cases perfect for your next gaming PC, workstation or an elegant PC for your living room. It supports the best processors and graphics cards on the market.

The main component of xCase is a 3D printed bezel. Bezel contains mounting points for all main components and ensures structural integrity of the case. It's manufactured using high-strength ABS material. Side panels are laser cut from acrylic glass.

Hole pattern on side panels of xCase allows you to mount 80mm, 92mm and even 120mm inlet fans wherever you want. Furthermore xCase S, M and L support up to 6 60x60x10mm exhaust fans while xCase SE, ME and LE support up to 6 80x80x10mm exhaust fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016

xCase
- customizable console-style case designed to fit your needs perfectly

How is the xCase built?
The main component of the xCase is a 3D printed bazel. Bazel comprises mounting points for all main components and ensures structural integrity of the case. It's manufactured on a professional grade 3D printer using high-strength ABS material. After the printing bazel goes through a multi-stage finishing process to meet the highest quality standards. Case is closed with top and bottom panels made out of aluminum or acrylic glass.

How does the customization work?
Dimensions of the bazel can be easily modified and manufactured without increasing production costs. A couple of versions will be released to suit most popular hardware configurations.

What's the status of the project?
I've tested multiple concepts of 3D printed cases to choose the ones which can be manufactured efficiently at scale. The design I'm presenting went through 6 iterations of prototypes. I'm hoping to get some feedback to finish the design and start manufacturing the case.

How much will xCase cost? When can I buy one?
First production runs are going to define the final price but my goal is to charge approx. $149 for the xCase Nano. I'm planning to start taking orders in the beginning of september.

TECH SPECS

Oooh, I love how it looks with the "holes/vents" on all of the sides. What program are you using to design and/or render this? The renders look amazing.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
Looks great.
Any pics of the prototypes you've made? Specifically any with hardware in them?
Does the GPU face up or down?
You say 50mm riser but from who and what type. I know Li-Heat is a common partner here and they sell 4 types.
Can you give lengths for G-Unique cables?
Where does the power button go? What size?
When you say "bazel" do you mean "bezel" or is that some new thing?

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Thank you for the kind words!

Oooh, I love how it looks with the "holes/vents" on all of the sides. What program are you using to design and/or render this? The renders look amazing.
I'm using Siemens NX to design the case. It's an amazing CAD program with great surface modeling features. To make renders I switch to 3ds Max.

Looks great.
Any pics of the prototypes you've made? Specifically any with hardware in them?
Does the GPU face up or down?
You say 50mm riser but from who and what type. I know Li-Heat is a common partner here and they sell 4 types.
Can you give lengths for G-Unique cables?
Where does the power button go? What size?
When you say "bazel" do you mean "bezel" or is that some new thing?
My plan for the next couple of days is to assembly a great looking prototype for everyone to see how the case looks like in the real world. GPU faces down. Sintech's 50mm riser will fit perfectly but I'll research and test risers from other manufacturers as well. I'll post lenghts for G-Unique units in a couple of days. Power button and two USB ports will be placed on the front side of the case. I'm still searching for the perfect button - it will be provided with the case. Button and USB ports will be implemented in future iterations of protypes. Sorry I meant bezel :)

mrfess

Efficiency Noob
May 25, 2017
Thank you for the kind words!

I'm using Siemens NX to design the case. It's an amazing CAD program with great surface modeling features. To make renders I switch to 3ds Max.

My plan for the next couple of days is to assembly a great looking prototype for everyone to see how the case looks like in the real world. GPU faces down. Sintech's 50mm riser will fit perfectly but I'll research and test risers from other manufacturers as well. I'll post lenghts for G-Unique units in a couple of days. Power button and two USB ports will be placed on the front side of the case. I'm still searching for the perfect button - it will be provided with the case. Button and USB ports will be implemented in future iterations of protypes. Sorry I meant bezel :)

I'll take the xCase Acin! quick question. I'm about to order a g-unique internal ac-dc to fit this case. Which one did you get ? and do I need to have him do any specifics to his AC-DC HP AIO to work with this case- I'm shooting for 250w to 300w for this build- And do you recommend G-Uniques Type A>? or Typle C? or Type D?

Excited to use you're case!

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I'll take the xCase Acin! quick question. I'm about to order a g-unique internal ac-dc to fit this case. Which one did you get ? and do I need to have him do any specifics to his AC-DC HP AIO to work with this case- I'm shooting for 250w to 300w for this build- And do you recommend G-Uniques Type A>? or Typle C? or Type D?

Excited to use you're case!

I'm super excited to have the first person interested in buying the case! I've got 300W HP AIO 12V AC-DC unit and type C DC-DC unit. IMO Type C offers the best value being only $5 more expensive than Type A. No need to ask for any modifications to the HP unit to fit my case. It will be placed on the back of a graphics card. If you could hold on just a couple more days I'll post required lenghts of cables.

What printer will you be using to manufacture the bezel?

Zortrax M200 for xCase Nano and xCase AC, Zortrax M300 for xCase 1080mini and other version suitable for longer graphics cards. Bezels will be printed in two pieces and connected before the finishing process.

BTW anyone would be interested in a watercooled version? ;)

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
how would you fit a water cooler in there?

I didn't put much thought into this idea yet but my first guess would be to make the case a bit bigger (let's say 340 x 240 x 90) and put 160/180mm radiator on the back of a graphics card.

mrfess

Efficiency Noob
May 25, 2017
I didn't put much thought into this idea yet but my first guess would be to make the case a bit bigger (let's say 340 x 240 x 90) and put 160/180mm radiator on the back of a graphics card.
I'm super excited to have the first person interested in buying the case! I've got 300W HP AIO 12V AC-DC unit and type C DC-DC unit. IMO Type C offers the best value being only $5 more expensive than Type A. No need to ask for any modifications to the HP unit to fit my case. It will be placed on the back of a graphics card. If you could hold on just a couple more days I'll post required lenghts of cables.

Zortrax M200 for xCase Nano and xCase AC, Zortrax M300 for xCase 1080mini and other version suitable for longer graphics cards. Bezels will be printed in two pieces and connected before the finishing process.

BTW anyone would be interested in a watercooled version? ;)

I already ordered 300W HP AIO 12V AC-DC unit and type C DC-DC unit. i Idint' specify to guryhwa any cable lengths- just told him to make it for a s4 min style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Looking good. A very unique case. Think you could post pics with a build in it? Maybe provide thermals and acoustics?

I would love to post pics with more hardware in but that's all I have on my hands at the moment. A shop sent me a wrong riser so now I'm waiting to receive one directly from Sintech.

Top and bottom panels are laser cut from 3mm thick smoked acrylic glass so they have high-gloss finish. Bezel and SSD mounting are printed, sanded and painted with matte black paint.

mrfess

Efficiency Noob
May 25, 2017
I would love to post pics with more hardware in but that's all I have on my hands at the moment. A shop sent me a wrong riser so now I'm waiting to receive one directly from Sintech.

Top and bottom panels are laser cut from 3mm thick smoked acrylic glass so they have high-gloss finish. Bezel and SSD mounting are printed, sanded and painted with matte black paint.

Looks Great! what's the small one with the g-unique AIO in it >? And what are these weighing in at >? Are they lightweight? I Hope

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
Will you add feet to the bottom to give the GPU more breathing room? Looking great so far. All that's left now is a spot for the power button and power inlet for the PSU

Reactions: Matt3D and mrfess