Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
We can engrave the logo on side panels or use a sticker to place the logo on the bezel. If you're interested please send the logo to our email address contact@modivio.com . We'll get back to you with a quote.

Reactions: Biowarejak

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
Things that I absolutely love that you're doing here:

- Case size for any occasion
- Customization options

Now you just gotta hit the APU market just right. My imagination has a use case catering to a 160W HDPlex AC-DC with a DC-ATX plugin, but whatever you come up with is sure to be lovely!

I especially love the xCase M and have it as the front runner for my next case:

- Brickless with an internal 300W HDPlex AC-DC
- Room and power for a 1070 / 1080 ITX GPU
- Room for a 300mm riser to have GPU and CPU orientated the same way, so one won't worry about restricted airflow when case is horizontal without feet

I am curious though, I saw someone post here that their HDPlex 300W AC-DC runs hot, so I'm wondering what the heat dissipation is like for these cases compared to metallic cases. Maybe this is a non-issue.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I

- Customization options

Now you just gotta hit the APU market just right. My imagination has a use case catering to a 160W HDPlex AC-DC with a DC-ATX plugin, but whatever you come up with is sure to be lovely!

- Room for a 300mm riser to have GPU and CPU orientated the same way, so one won't worry about restricted airflow when case is horizontal without feet

I am curious though, I saw someone post here that their HDPlex 300W AC-DC runs hot, so I'm wondering what the heat dissipation is like for these cases compared to metallic cases. Maybe this is a non-issue.
Just a suggestion, you could throw a fan in the medium extended case to help cool it a little .:)

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017

- Customization options

I am curious though, I saw someone post here that their HDPlex 300W AC-DC runs hot, so I'm wondering what the heat dissipation is like for these cases compared to metallic cases. Maybe this is a non-issue

Putting an AC-DC unit inside a SFF case always means there is going to be really hot inside. That's why our cases support exhaust fans mounted to the bezel. We always advise to use them to cool the system.

Would Thermaltake's 300mm extended PCI-E Riser be a good alternative to the LiHeat 300mm Riser?

Thermaltake's riser won't fit with case fans mounted. We didn't test it so we can't guarantee it will fit without them either.

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
Thermaltake's riser won't fit with case fans mounted. We didn't test it so we can't guarantee it will fit without them either.
I understand. I also wanted to ask if Lian-Li's own 300mm riser could also work with the case but if the Take riser can't, maybe not Lian.

Mauley

Chassis Packer
May 6, 2018
Would this be a good build to put inside of an xCase M

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor (£143.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler (£35.13 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£64.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£159.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£145.19 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (£254.55 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A6x25 17.2 CFM 60mm Fan (£12.62 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £829.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-14 12:15 BST+0100

I have also ordered the HDPlex 400w AC-ATX and HDplex 300W for internal usage. Cant wait for my case to arrive :)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

Motherboard:ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£64.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£159.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£145.19 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (£254.55 @ Amazon UK)

I have also ordered the HDPlex 400w AC-ATX and HDplex 300W for internal usage. Cant wait for my case to arrive :)

Everything looks pretty sweet, I don't know about that motherboard though. It might be good I just don't know for sure. Upon Googling it I didn't see any reviews on it. If I were you I might look into a more popular ITX motherboard that will support 8th CPUs.

Everything else looks awesome though!

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017

Motherboard: ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£64.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Everything besides the case fans will work perfectly! Great setup. Noctua fans are 25mm thick but case supports only 10mm fans. Let me know which shop are you planning to buy other components from. We'll recommended another fan which they are offering.

ZiG

Efficiency Noob
May 15, 2018
I'm very interesting about your products.

I have a few questions about your APU Case project :
- It will be compliant with HD-Plex internal PSU ?
- will be possible to set up 0, 1 or 2 ssd ?
- ETA ?

For all models E
- is it possible to be compliant with 80*80*25mm perhaps with 2 fans on one side only ?

thanks for your answers.

Actual design is very nice, great job !! :)

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I'm very interesting about your products.

I have a few questions about your APU Case project :
- It will be compliant with HD-Plex internal PSU ?
- will be possible to set up 0, 1 or 2 ssd ?
- ETA ?

For all models E
- is it possible to be compliant with 80*80*25mm perhaps with 2 fans on one side only ?

thanks for your answers.

Actual design is very nice, great job !! :)

Thanks!

Cases are available for order on our website http://www.modivio.com/shop . xCase M is compatible with internal HD-PLEX 400W DC-DC unit and HD-PLEX 300W AC-DC unit. In most versions it's possible to fit 2 SSD's. 25mm thick fans unfortunatelly aren't supported. We would have manufacture our cases on different machines and lower the quality of the product to make that happen. Akasa has great 80 x 80 x 10mm fans though http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-FN076

ZiG

Efficiency Noob
May 15, 2018
Thanks for the akasa link :)

do you have Akasa cable length ?
do i need an extension cable ?

in package there is any "slot cover" included to fill the hole behind xCase (no GPU card installed)?

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017

IRyzoI

Chassis Packer
Apr 23, 2018
Is there a difference in texture between the white and black models? I read they are made from different materials.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
This case has me intrigued. I have a use-case, but not sure if it's viable.

Question: why do none of the options have the psu at the back? Yes, I know that sacrifices the bracket, but I would be fine with that. The xCase M would be my ideal option with psu in the back, enough in the front for a 120 Rad, and an overclocked Ryzen APU. Looking at the dimensions, it would work.

Surely I'm not the only one willing to make that trade?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
We just received the first batch of risers from Li-Heat!

This case has me intrigued. I have a use-case, but not sure if it's viable.

Question: why do none of the options have the psu at the back? Yes, I know that sacrifices the bracket, but I would be fine with that. The xCase M would be my ideal option with psu in the back, enough in the front for a 120 Rad, and an overclocked Ryzen APU. Looking at the dimensions, it would work.

Surely I'm not the only one willing to make that trade?

It is certainly possible. The cutout would have to be designed for a specific PSU because a standard SFX cutout wouldn't left enough bezel to ensure enough strength. Increasing the thickness of the case by approx. 10mm would solve the problem as well. Either way - we could do it as a custom service.