Prototype Mikros – 3D printed low profile GPU case

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Side panels are cut! Its too dark atm to take good pictures so I'll get to that tomorrow. IMO the design doesn't really distinguish itself enough yet, so I'm also gonna experiment more with other materials.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Here it is, The finished prototype of the case. The print has been overextruded a bit, which shows the typical print lines a bit too much imo. This effect is further enhanced by the warping, which squeezed the layers together. I was aiming for the 'brushed' look, but will go for a less distinct effect on next prints.

I've also ran some benchmarks in the case. With the gpu fans at 1000 RPM and the cpu fan at 800 RPM, the 1050ti gets at 70C and the i3 6100 at 60C when both under 100% syntetic load. All this while being almost dead silent. When I ramped up the gpu fans to 2000 RPM, the temps dropped by another 10C, but I prefer silence to temperature.

I would now like to print a black version with wooden side panels. Off to find the perfect filament for it!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Here it is, The finished prototype of the case. The print has been overextruded a bit, which shows the typical print lines a bit too much imo. This effect is further enhanced by the warping, which squeezed the layers together. I was aiming for the 'brushed' look, but will go for a less distinct effect on next prints.

I've also ran some benchmarks in the case. With the gpu fans at 1000 RPM and the cpu fan at 800 RPM, the 1050ti gets at 70C and the i3 6100 at 60C when both under 100% syntetic load. All this while being almost dead silent. When I ramped up the gpu fans to 2000 RPM, the temps dropped by another 10C, but I prefer silence to temperature.

I would now like to print a black version with wooden side panels. Off to find the perfect filament for it!

That looks great! The 25mm thick fans on the GPU seem to make a real difference compared to the slim 15mm fans some other cases accept.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Great work! Love the vent pattern. The texture of the print actually gives it some nice character.

Thanks, means a great deal to me coming from such an established case-builder :D

The texture is a bit too profound on the prototype as I accidentally printed it with a wrong printing profile. I've made some changes and printed a black version which is quite a bit smoother but keeps the printed character. I'll share it once I finish the lasered wooden side panels.

Reactions: Jello and chyll2

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So I finished the wooden side panels and I gotta say that I'm really pleased with the result. I'm gonna experiment a bit more with wood types to find the perfect match between color and wood type. I'll be trying wallnut and bamboo next.

On another note, since interest in buying the case is quite nonexistent, I'm considering just open sourcing it. This way, people can experiment themselves with the case without having to rely on me. I'm still open to production runs though, if people aren't comfortable doing it themselves.

Anyways, here's the result:

trongod

Efficiency Noob
Feb 1, 2019
If you did open source that, how much build volume would that require? BTW, it looks really nice with those wooden side panels. How did you cut those? CNC?

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
If you did open source that, how much build volume would that require? BTW, it looks really nice with those wooden side panels. How did you cut those? CNC?

The required build volume is 210mm x 250mm x 100mm. This was specifically designed with the Prusa i3 in mind but the Creality CR10 would also be a good option. Or a Lulzbot or Ultimaker S5 if you're rich or have acces to one :)

The panels are laser cut. CNC would have trouble with the sharp edges in the vent pattern and could break the small bridges. Lasering also allows for a uniform production method for both wood and acrylic. Because lasering a panel only takes up to 10 minutes, it's not so hard to find a local fablab or commercial lasering service to have them do it for you.

Before I open source this case, I'm gonna write documentation on how to build it. Looks like I have another print ahead so I can take pictures of the process.

trongod

Efficiency Noob
Feb 1, 2019

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I'm definitely thinking about pulling the trigger on a 3D printer. Based on your linked instructables, the build volume of an Ender-3 should be plenty right?

It might seem so, but unfortunately the Ender 3 is 220x220x250, while you need 250mm on either the X or Y axis. Ender 3 has 250mm on the Z axis. The CR-10S from Creality will work though but costs quite a bit more.

On another note, if you can live with a case without casefans and HDD bay, I might fit this case within the 220mm limit of the Ender 3.