Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If you're going for the 'retro' look, may be incorporate some retro design features? e.g. Oval-ended vents, or 'grills' in place of vents (instead of stamping out the vent home completely, it is instead punched in and left in an 'L' shape internally, so there is no visual path directly into the hole from the front and from one angle), non-flush fasteners, panel-lines used as design elements (inset edge), non-flush controls (typically sitting proud of surface), etc. The ports in an inset contrast-colour area are perfect, though that would probably only encompass the ports themselves with the button + LED separated. The window would need to go too, that doesn't match well with a retro look.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017

I'm getting controversial feedback. I was going for a retrro look, but people are split on the look.

Can I get some feedback on the look?

I saw this new design and this popped right into my mind:

Jokes aside, for me your design doesn't work because it has confusing cues. The window is big and obnoxious (and small crowded systems are prettier when the insides are hidden... specially because the innards, more often than not, won't look good), and the ventilation panels being that long give it a vintage / old aesthetic.

On the other hand, the openings on the top of the case look much better, but because they aren't so long and aren't in the typical place where said "stripes" would be placed on very old VCR / amps and the like.

Me? I'd make the window disappear and try to tinker with the stripes to make them a bit less glaring.

Still, the form factor (tall and narrow) is what I'm looking for, so keep at it!

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016

Changed the top panel vents to circles, removed window.

I'm liking the previous windowed design better than this current update, it has become too generic and neutral IMO. You are certainly in the right direction in terms of targeting the "retro-futurism" feel and look of rounding out the corners. Keep the silver wrap-around walls and black front face! I also liked the colored version of the IO.

I think if you wanted it to have a more stylized identity, try staying away from uniformity and making it neutral. I'm certainly bias but this all black non-windowed design seems too basic to me. Hopefully you can get more inspiration from this Syd Mead interior design concept image:

Reactions: owliwar

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
I like both of the new designs but I'm partial to that gpu window myself. Also really like the updated power/front io. really nice.

dephcon

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2017
I really like Necere's "M" styling on this one, and I would totally buy this product if it had the same GPU support as the M1.

I'll be buying a second M1 next year for a new Volta-based build, handing down my current M1 to my wife and will continue to buy ITX gear in the future. The issue is that our HTPC is now third in-line of PC hand-me-downs so it would be nice to have a HTPC case that fits the same gear as the M1. Currently I have a Node 605 so that's not an issue, but I much prefer that stylish m-series design language that you've created.

Anyway, love the design, hope you get the opportunity to make it.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I really like Necere's "M" styling on this one, and I would totally buy this product if it had the same GPU support as the M1.

I'll be buying a second M1 next year for a new Volta-based build, handing down my current M1 to my wife and will continue to buy ITX gear in the future. The issue is that our HTPC is now third in-line of PC hand-me-downs so it would be nice to have a HTPC case that fits the same gear as the M1. Currently I have a Node 605 so that's not an issue, but I much prefer that stylish m-series design language that you've created.

Anyway, love the design, hope you get the opportunity to make it.
if you're referring to this concept:

Sketchup. Octane for rendering.

Renders in silver:

The specs and internal layout can be seen here:

So while w360's been plugging away at his version of the PCX design, I've been doing a bit of ideating on various concepts, and today came up with this:

Basically similar to the original design, but widened to allow the flexATX PSU to be rotated, and shortened (depthwise) accordingly. The two slim 120mm fans would be replaced by a single 140x25mm intake fan, with the possibility of two 80mm exhaust fans at the top.

Hypothetical specs
Dimensions (H x W x D):
340 x 94 x 240mm, 7.7L
CPU cooler: 40mm (exclusive of intake fan)
GPU: ~215mm long, ~125mm tall
PSU: flexATX @ 150mm long
Fans: 140x25mm intake, 2x80mm exhaust
Drives: 2x2.5"

Essentially, it's a small footprint case designed around showing off a card like the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti. Unlike the original PCX design, this is less of a console-style case, as it's meant only for vertical orientation and lacks ODD support.

My feeling is quite a few people would be more interested in something like this vs. the original design, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on it.

It only supports short GPUs and flexATX power supplies, so it wouldn't have the same compatibility as the M1. Keep in mind that it's around 40% smaller.

dephcon

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2017
@Necere I was actually referring to the original design:

Regardless, if you eventually design a HTPC style case that supports the same card depth as the M1, you can count on my purchase.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I see. I don't really consider that "M" styling - that's reserved for the angled panels/cutouts look - but I agree that it's a good look, too. The layout for that one is somewhat different from the later, M-style rev 3 concept, but it shares the GPU and PSU limitation.

dephcon

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2017
oh well, my node 605 is built like a tank so it'll last as long as I need it too until something sexier comes out with full card support :)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

Changed the top panel vents to circles, removed window.

I'm liking this design a lot myself. It's S4 mini-like in some ways for the frame structure, but the grid holes and side slots really evoke the style of the original Steam Machine. You could do a whole lot with the empty front space too, like adding a control panel with LCD screen for HTPC functions or simply a status indicator for CPU and other parameters (am I the only one who thought the Asus OC panel was cool? The only thing I didn't like is all the room that the stand occupied).

dephcon

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2017
I find the white on black in the IO area is way too dramatic, it's really captures the eye and I don't want my HTPC case glaring out at me while i'm watching TV.

neocmetal

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2017
It would be nice to have a gaming vesa mounted case. It saves tons of space especially for people like me who have limited space. Right now i'm using a 27 inch desk and not everyone rocks a MKBHD size room lol . Maybe one day.....

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
The new revised look is a step in the right direction. Good job! Is it just a new look or has the layout changed too?