Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
@Matt3D Really I mean a horizontally laid-out mini itx case that supports a single slot GPU and a fullheight mini itx (not thin-itx), but also keeping the footprint as small as possible. An (ugly) example would be this

In this layout though there's extra unneeded (for my use) space to the right of the mobo the pcie slot is above the mobo. Not sure how that kind of layout would work with a 1050 ti (and of course there is no vent on the top of the case). I'm sure someone could make something like this work, specially if maybe you rotate the GPU so that it sits under the mobo like some divided cases are like.

Anyway to answer your question, I think so? Except I think dan cases are vertical? I'm not sure, I am not too familiar with a lot of the builds on here, just haven't seen one that I'd jump on

We've never done such build before. Our plan is to design a back-to-back case after we finish an APU case so stay tuned.

2) plan to make one with translucent/semi translucent material? or even heat sensitive material

We can print the case with a material like PET-G which is the most common translucent material in FDM world but I'm guessing it won't give an effect you think of. For the trully translucent case it would have to be printed with SLA / DLP printer but the cost of the resin would be huge. But I'm glad you mentioned thermo-sensitive material. We have a couple of spools of the material changing the color from grey to white and from violet to pink. We could also get the material changing the color from red to white. Just imaging the case being red and then turning white when you turn the computer on.

I got my Xcase S the other week and I was actually going to make one myself! I don’t have a big YouTube channel or anything but I figured with some decent editing and my 24MP camera I could make something nice out of it. Because yeah, for how great of a concept this case is, it certainly deserves more publicity than it has.

I can't wait for it :D

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Is that grey to white material more expensive than the regular @Matt3D ?

The cost of the material itself is similar but it has to be imported from outside of the EU so considering the duty costs, taxes and shipping we'd have to charge extra $30 for the case to break even.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Can you do custom colors? Orange and white?

Yes. Here is the full list of colors we offer.

Standard colors of the bezel (no additional fee):
  • Black
  • White
  • Red
  • Green
  • Blue
  • Yellow
  • Orange
  • Grey
Custom colors of the bezel (additional $30 per case, +1 week of additional lead time):

Colors of the side panels (no additional fee):
  • Black (matte surface)
  • Black (glossy surface)
  • Black - smoked (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • Black - smoked (glossy surface, semi transparent)
  • Light grey (glossy surface)
  • Dark grey (glossy surface)
  • Frost white (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • White (glossy surface)
  • Gold (glossy surface)
  • Orange (glossy surface)
  • Yellow (glossy surface)
  • Light green (glossy surface)
  • Pink (glossy surface)
  • Navy blue (glossy surface)
  • Blue (glossy surface)
  • Sky blue (glossy surface)
  • Red (glossy surface)
  • Clear transparent
  • Red transparent
  • Green transparent
  • Blue transparent
  • Grey transparent

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Yes. Here is the full list of colors we offer.

Standard colors of the bezel (no additional fee):
  • Black
  • White
  • Red
  • Green
  • Blue
  • Yellow
  • Orange
  • Grey
Custom colors of the bezel (additional $30 per case, +1 week of additional lead time):

Colors of the side panels (no additional fee):
  • Black (matte surface)
  • Black (glossy surface)
  • Black - smoked (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • Black - smoked (glossy surface, semi transparent)
  • Light grey (glossy surface)
  • Dark grey (glossy surface)
  • Frost white (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • White (glossy surface)
  • Gold (glossy surface)
  • Orange (glossy surface)
  • Yellow (glossy surface)
  • Light green (glossy surface)
  • Pink (glossy surface)
  • Navy blue (glossy surface)
  • Blue (glossy surface)
  • Sky blue (glossy surface)
  • Red (glossy surface)
  • Clear transparent
  • Red transparent
  • Green transparent
  • Blue transparent
  • Grey transparent

How does one select these colors? Do I just put it in the "notes" or something at check out?

Bezel colors I can select are "black, blue, green, red, white"

Pannel color I can select is only "matte black"

(This is all on the xCase LE, if that makes a difference)

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
How does one select these colors? Do I just put it in the "notes" or something at check out?

Bezel colors I can select are "black, blue, green, red, white"

Pannel color I can select is only "matte black"

(This is all on the xCase LE, if that makes a difference)

Please select any of the colors from the list at the product page and add the case to the cart. Then at the checkout stage put the colors you'd like in the order notes. For now this is the only way.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Theres also the ezdiy risers which i think tend to be a little cheaper and from what ive read just as good
Do you have a link? :) (30cm/300mm "type B" is what I need)

Most risers I've ssen are like 60ish. And this was 40(+Shipping), so I thought it was a good deal. :)

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Sounds great!! :) Thanks!

Also, is this the right cable? https://www.geeekstore.com/shop/li-heat-pci-express16x-extension-adapter-riser-cable-300mm/

I didn't see "type B" anywhere (for the fan facing the same side as you cooler)

Li-Heat type B 300mm risers can be bought here https://www.highflow.nl/hardware/vi...3.0-ribbon-flexible-riser-cable-v2-black.html
or directly from Li-Heat on E-Bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIE-PCI-E...475523?hash=item1c83921e03:g:bTIAAOSwrhBZAZA-

The riser sold by GEEEK is type D which unfortunatelly won't fit with case fans mounted.

fatface

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 7, 2017
Would I be able to fit a VGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING graphics card with a HDPLEX 300W AC-DC power supply into the Modivio M case?

The card is just over 170mm from what I can see.

Mauley

Chassis Packer
May 6, 2018
Would I be able to fit a VGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING graphics card with a HDPLEX 300W AC-DC power supply into the Modivio M case?

The card is just over 170mm from what I can see.

Would also like to know this as I am going for the GPU and the same case size.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
It feels like a good moment to announce four changes we recendly made :D

1. Width of the xCase M & ME is extended from 240mm to 245mm. We were constanly asked about the compatibility of HD-PLEX 300W AC-DC unit with graphics cards slightly longer than 170mm like MSI GTX 1070 Aero or recently mentioned EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING. Now they'll fit without any issues. Everyone who ordered xCase M or xCase ME within the last couple of days is going to receive an extended version.

2. Length of the xCase L & LE is extended from 360mm to 370mm. Many people asked about the compatibility of higher than reference graphics cards. We still advise to ask about the compatibility of the specific units but more of them is going to fit inside the case.

3. We've changed the materials for BLACK, RED, BLUE and GREEN bezels to a higher quality ABS. It has higher strength and semi-matte surface.

4. SSD brackets are now laser cut from matte black acrylic instead of being 3D printed. This change improves their looks.

Mauley

Chassis Packer
May 6, 2018
It feels like a good moment to announce four changes we recendly made :D

1. Width of the xCase M & ME is extended from 240mm to 245mm. We were constanly asked about the compatibility of HD-PLEX 300W AC-DC unit with graphics cards slightly longer than 170mm like MSI GTX 1070 Aero or recently mentioned EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING. Now they'll fit without any issues. Everyone who ordered xCase M or xCase ME within the last couple of days is going to receive an extended version.

2. Length of the xCase L & LE is extended from 360mm to 370mm. Many people asked about the compatibility of higher than reference graphics cards. We still advise to ask about the compatibility of the specific units but more of them is going to fit inside the case.

3. We've changed the materials for BLACK, RED, BLUE and GREEN bezels to a higher quality ABS. It has higher strength and semi-matte surface.

4. SSD brackets are now laser cut from matte black acrylic instead of being 3D printed. This change improves their looks.

That's awesome news seeing as just yesterday I purchased the xCase M. I can't wait to get it.

Quick question, if the GPU is fiited same orientation as the mothboard, can we still mount SSD above them? Or is it mounted below the GPU?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
White bezels are made with ASA. It's a similar material but it's more resistant to UV light which is important for the white color. Quality is the same as quality of the ABS which we're using now.

Quick question, if the GPU is fiited same orientation as the mothboard, can we still mount SSD above them? Or is it mounted below the GPU?

SSD's are always mounted on the back side of the GPU. If GPU faces same direction as the motherboard, SSD's are mounted below it.