Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

frees577

Cable Smoosher
Jan 7, 2019
Hey Matt,

I'm planning on building HTPC/home server for my living room in your xCase S.
I won't need GPU since I will be using Ryzen 2400G, and it's a server as well so I will need room for 2 x 3.5-inch drives or more. Can you make a bracket for that? Can you even fit 3.5" drives in it? Also are black/dark see-through panels doable with white everything else?? (RGB is Life ;) )

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Hey Matt,

I'm planning on building HTPC/home server for my living room in your xCase S.
I won't need GPU since I will be using Ryzen 2400G, and it's a server as well so I will need room for 2 x 3.5-inch drives or more. Can you make a bracket for that? Can you even fit 3.5" drives in it? Also are black/dark see-through panels doable with white everything else?? (RGB is Life ;) )

Hi!

Two 3.5 inch drives can be fitted inside xCase S. We'd remove the GPU cutout and install two brackets on each side of the case to mount both drives. Side panels can be cut from smoked transparent acrylic glass. That'll look great with RGB's inside ;)

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Picking up my xCase S tomorrow as I missed the courier and getting my G Unique on wednesday. Looks like I get to start building this week. Exciting times!

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So, I just finished building my computer in the xCase S and I'm quite excited! The build quality is very nice and some of the mounting solutions are really smart.

Full list of hardware installed in the case. I will update to Ryzen when my bank account allows it:

Asus h97i plus
Intel i5 4460
Cooltek LP53 with Noctua nf a9x14
G-unique Archdaemon 400w
MSI 1070 Aero ITX

There's a couple of things to note, though:

- As someone mentioned earlier, the new XT90 G-Unique plug does not fit with the graphics card. In fact, the graphics card is so close to the DC plug that I imagine some other plugs not fitting either.

- As a fix to the above, I made a small cut in the shroud and and also cut of a small (empty) part of the pcb of my MSI 1070 Aero ITX. This helpen fit the gpu in the case but I still couldn't screw in the PCI bracket screws.

- An easier fix, which I thought of later (after voiding my GPU warranty, d'oh!) is to change the G-Unique plug a little bit. It has offsets so that the female part of the connector sits inside the case. By removing these offsets (simple screws), you can have the female part outside the case and only have a small PCB left inside your case. This should be enough to fit the MSI Aero ITX without mod, although I'm not sure if this works for other cards.

- Talking about G-Unique, if you mention to gury that you're building a Modivio case, he will make you a nice bracket that fits the DC cutout perfectly.

- One thing that bothers me a bit is that the GPU sits very close to the top panel. This results in quite some turbulence noise. The space left open for the HDD's could actually be a lot lower to allow for more breathing room for the gpu.

- The HDD bracket also take a lot of room on the Z axis of the case. Perhaps a bracket that mounts to the side of the HDD and not the bottom would be more ideal. I might make something custom for this, one day.

- I managed to mount a 60x20mm fan next to the gpu, but not in an official mounting position. By offsetting it a bit to the front of the case, you don't have to PCI riser blocking the fan so you have more room. If the fan could be recessed a bit more into the panel, it might even be possible to mount a 60x25 fan there. I will definately try this later.

I will post picures of my build this weekend!

Reactions: Hissitx and br3nd0

dv4der

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2017
Hey Bud, Love the Case will be ordering one sometime late this year!

I noticed that you dont have a Presence on r/SFFPC
Maybe you should post some of your work/ builds

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Hey Bud, Love the Case will be ordering one sometime late this year!

I noticed that you dont have a Presence on r/SFFPC
Maybe you should post some of your work/ builds

I've seen a few posts there link back to this thread, or reference it, so we're just going in circles now lol.

evq

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2019
H iMatt3D,

I am new to SFF, hence when comes to the HD-plex psu, I am not too sure about it.
Do u provide & sell all required parts/items, including the psu, power button, rise etc in one package?
eg. http://modivio.com/xcase-m/
Layout No2, with GPU orientated same way as mobo & D-PLEX 400W DC-ATX with external AC-DC converter

Thanks in advance

Andorski

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2016
HD-Plex 400W AC-DC isn't currently supported by xCase M. Unfortunally they made the new unit too long. We're working on a solution though.

The new internal 400W AC-DC brick is out for sale. Have you found a way for it to fit with an ITX-sized GPU in the xCase M?

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
There are Modivio xCase Flex ATX models. You can fit a FlexATX PSU like the Delta 500W Platinum that sold by Geeek.com. They also come with custom cable if you like.
Also, the internal HDPlex 400W doesn't fit the xCase you have to modify it.

frees577

Cable Smoosher
Jan 7, 2019
Have you tried fitting it in? I got modified "htpc/APU" version of xCase S in the mail, once it arrives I'll give it a try and will give you guys some feedback.

As you can see, Seems like I'll have enough room for AC-DC box, not sure about DC-ATX.

Last edited:

wabbitro

Caliper Novice
Feb 17, 2017
Picking up my xCase S tomorrow as I missed the courier and getting my G Unique on wednesday. Looks like I get to start building this week. Exciting times!
Not sure what riser you have, but if it's the one recommended/bought from modivio, all 4 fans will eventually fit. The riser you can bend very heavily without issues. And make sure the GPU is not slacking much from the pcie bracket screwdown. I commented only one fan fit for mine, but eventually I got them both installed on the GPU side without issues.

tigertown863

What's an ITX?
Feb 17, 2019
New to SFFF and first time posting...

Apologize in advance if you guys have hashed over this already...

So, I'm in a kinda unique situation... I'm a trucker, who is also a tech nerd of sorts... I am looking to do a build in an SE to drive my 30 inch 2k monitor that's on the wall of my rig... I want this system to be fairly powerful so that it can BOINC while im going down the road (electricity is free in a semi that's already running anyhow) and handle any game i throw at it, so i've come up with these tentative specs/parts...

Intel Core i9 9900k
Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle cooler
Asrock Phantom gaming itx/ac
Gigabyte RTX 2070 mini
16GB corsair LPX ram
G-Unique 400watt (already ordered from Gury)

It can occasionally get toasty in the area im putting this system in, for instance, if im driving across the Mojave desert... so i definitely need 4 case fans, but am having trouble locating anything more than 2 pin 80mm fans... can anyone link me to a good 4pin 80x10 fan? or is it possible to special make the case to fit better fans in on the bezels, like having 2 NF-A8 (80x25) on both ends? Appreciate all the great info I've found so far (thats what set me down this path, vs buying another disappointing laptop)

Have a good week guys