Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Hi! I had to deal with some personal stuff after I got back from the honeymoon and last couple of days I was sick, fighting with high fewer. Nevertheless now I'm fully back and ready to answer all questions. Starting today, lead time is decreased to the standard two weeks!

Hello all, this is my first post ever on sff forum! I just thought I'd share my build with the xCase S and the one major issue I've encountered. First off, the case is awesome! I am in love with it! However, even though the Modivio website claims that it is compatible with both the g-unique PSU and the gtx 1080 mini, that is definitely not true with the latest batch of g-unique PSU's.

I'm sorry for the issue you encountered. If the XT90 connector would be rotated 90 degrees and moved to be placed slightly above PCB of the graphics card, would it be possible to plug in the connector? If so, well design a custom adapter and send you at no additional cost.

I really love these cases, but is there any chance we might be able to get a less texture to them and some front IO? Also, what about a tempered glass panel on the top? That would be a dream case for sure.

I have a feeling the mesh might be difficult due to thermals.

The texture is specific to 3D printed parts and unfortunatelly it's not possible to remove it. We've made some custom front IO openings in the past so it definitelly can be done. The bezel would have to be modified a lot support tempered side panels. Furthermore it's not possible to make ventillation holes in tempered glass so thermals would suffer a lot.

Can someone please point me to any videos with this case?

We haven't made any videos just yet but there are a couple of reviews e.g. here https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/modivio-xcase-build-review.1246338/

Hey guys.

I'm looking for compact case that would fit a bigger GPU. The case itself fitting into a cabin luggage. I'm talking about the Xcase LE and with that weight it is perfect. Got a few questions.
Compared to aluminium and steel cases what is the durability on this one?
Could the ABS or acrylic panels crack if the case would get banged a little bit?
Does the extended version fit higher GPU than normal one and if not were does the additional height near GPU go ? (GPU orientation same as motherboard)
The Xcase LE allows only 3 80mm fans. Does it mean you can use only 80mm or 60mm will also fit without modding?
As someone looking for the lightest case i have a hard time believing that every other case is 0.8Kg and LE is 1.2Kg. Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I could recommend small versions of our cases for travel with a clear conscience. xCase S is extremely light yet durable. Bigger versions like L & LE models are absolutelly fine moved occasionally but I'd wouldn't risk traveling with them. The biggest issue here is supporting the weight of the fulll length graphics card. The back part of the bezel which holds the graphics card in place wasn't designed to withstand sudden movements with all components built in. If don't have the components yet, we'd strongly recommend to go for a smaller version.

KingSpades

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2018
Matt, thanks for answering and I'm glad to hear you're better! One quick question before I take the plunge, do you also produce acrylic top panels? I really wanna take advantage of my RGB components.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Matt, thanks for answering and I'm glad to hear you're better! One quick question before I take the plunge, do you also produce acrylic top panels? I really wanna take advantage of my RGB components.

Absolutelly, we offer multiple color options of the side panels. Some of them are transparent or semi-transparent which makes RGB lighting look incredible. Here is the full list:
  • Black (matte surface) (default color)
  • Black (glossy surface)
  • Black - smoked (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • Black - smoked (glossy surface, semi transparent)
  • Light grey (glossy surface)
  • Dark grey (glossy surface)
  • Frost white (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • White (glossy surface)
  • Gold (glossy surface)
  • Orange (glossy surface)
  • Yellow (glossy surface)
  • Light green (glossy surface)
  • Pink (glossy surface)
  • Navy blue (glossy surface)
  • Blue (glossy surface)
  • Sky blue (glossy surface)
  • Red (glossy surface)
  • Clear transparent
  • Red transparent
  • Green transparent
  • Blue transparent
  • Grey transparent

Seid Dark

Chassis Packer
Oct 15, 2018
I already ordered Louqe Ghost S1 but xCase looks great and would save even more desk space. Would it be possible to add 30mm to the length of the LE so I could install normal 80x25mm fans? There aren't many 10mm fans available and nothing from reputable brands (Noctua, BeQuiet etc.) Silence is very important for me and I have overclocked hardware which produce quite a lot of heat. I would use the case in horizontal position.

Reactions: Matt3D

carlman14

Cable Smoosher
New User
Sep 17, 2018
I'm sorry for the issue you encountered. If the XT90 connector would be rotated 90 degrees and moved to be placed slightly above PCB of the graphics card, would it be possible to plug in the connector? If so, well design a custom adapter and send you at no additional cost.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately the connector does not fit above the PCB of the graphics card... even rotated. I was, however able to fit it in front of the PCB while rotated. Here's a couple pics showing this:

This is the bracket the g-unique came with. You can see how far up the PCB goes to interfere with the plug.

Here is where I managed to fit the rotated plug in front of the PCB. Let me know if a custom adapter is still possible. Thanks!

Reactions: Matt3D and br3nd0

ElfinHilon10

Cable Smoosher
Nov 8, 2018
Hi! I had to deal with some personal stuff after I got back from the honeymoon and last couple of days I was sick, fighting with high fewer. Nevertheless now I'm fully back and ready to answer all questions. Starting today, lead time is decreased to the standard two weeks!

The texture is specific to 3D printed parts and unfortunatelly it's not possible to remove it. We've made some custom front IO openings in the past so it definitelly can be done. The bezel would have to be modified a lot support tempered side panels. Furthermore it's not possible to make ventillation holes in tempered glass so thermals would suffer a lot.

We haven't made any videos just yet but there are a couple of reviews e.g. here https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/modivio-xcase-build-review.1246338/

I could recommend small versions of our cases for travel with a clear conscience. xCase S is extremely light yet durable. Bigger versions like L & LE models are absolutelly fine moved occasionally but I'd wouldn't risk traveling with them. The biggest issue here is supporting the weight of the fulll length graphics card. The back part of the bezel which holds the graphics card in place wasn't designed to withstand sudden movements with all components built in. If don't have the components yet, we'd strongly recommend to go for a smaller version.

Appreciate the reply! Sad to hear about the glass panel, but if that doesn't work, front IO would be great!

Reactions: Matt3D and br3nd0

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I already ordered Louqe Ghost S1 but xCase looks great and would save even more desk space. Would it be possible to add 30mm to the length of the LE so I could install normal 80x25mm fans? There aren't many 10mm fans available and nothing from reputable brands (Noctua, BeQuiet etc.) Silence is very important for me and I have overclocked hardware which produce quite a lot of heat. I would use the case in horizontal position.

We get a lot of question about extending the case to fit standard 25mm thick fans. Maybe in the future it will be possible but at this point we're manufacturing our cases on 3D printers which don't have large enough built volume. We're considering making a version for 92x14mm fans like Noctua A9x14.

Here is where I managed to fit the rotated plug in front of the PCB. Let me know if a custom adapter is still possible. Thanks!

Absolutelly, the position on the second picture looks like the best option. Could you please measure the distance between 4 mounting points around the connector? That's the only measurement we'd need to make an adapter.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Seid Dark

Chassis Packer
Oct 15, 2018
We get a lot of question about extending the case to fit standard 25mm thick fans. Maybe in the future it will be possible but at this point we're manufacturing our cases on 3D printers which don't have large enough built volume. We're considering making a version for 92x14mm fans like Noctua A9x14.
Thanks for the answer. I'm seriously considering ordering LE anyway, I love the looks. I assume the possible version fitting 92x14mm wouldn't be released in the near future.

In some previous page you mentioned that it's possible to extend the height a couple of millimeters for no extra cost, is this still correct? I'd need this space for a dust filter.

Last edited:

carlman14

Cable Smoosher
New User
Sep 17, 2018
Absolutelly, the position on the second picture looks like the best option. Could you please measure the distance between 4 mounting points around the connector? That's the only measurement we'd need to make an adapter.

That's great news! I'll also give you the lengths between the 4 mounting holes and the 2 c14 mounting holes just in case that helps at all... because the connector is not centered between the c14 mounting holes. I'll email you the details!

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Hi @Matt3D , I'm about to order the M version of your case but have a question regarding the gpu length option. ATM, I have a 175mm graphics card and external brick.

In the future, I might go with either a longer card or either and internal AC-DC. Does the option you select when ordering actually result in a different cases or are both compatible with itx gpu + internal ac-dc and medium sized gpu?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I have some great news! Starting today, Li-Heat type B 300mm PCIe riser is sold on our website. It's compatible with all our cases in versions with graphics card facing the same direction as motherboard. The riser can be purchased here http://modivio.com/product/liheatpcieriser/

We've made dozens of custom cases over the last couple of months but two of our latest projects for @zzmadd are the ones we're particularly proud of. There are very few off-the-shelf all internal PSU solutions for SFF cases. Lack of availability of HD-PLEX units made FlexATX PSU's probably the best option for this moment. Standard versions of xCase don't support them but flexibility of 3D printing allowed for neccesary changes. Long story short, we made sligthly extended version of xCase S supporting flexATX PSU next to a low profile graphics card and slightly extended version of xCase ME supporting flexATX PSU and double slot graphics card up to 215mm long.

Thanks for the answer. I'm seriously considering ordering LE anyway, I love the looks. I assume the possible version fitting 92x14mm wouldn't be released in the near future.

In some previous page you mentioned that it's possible to extend the height a couple of millimeters for no extra cost, is this still correct? I'd need this space for a dust filter.

Version supporting 92x14mm fans could be custom made for an extra fee. If you'd be interested let's talk in private. We can extend the height up to 5mm for free or mor for $1 for each additional milimeter. The limit is 105mm.

Hi @Matt3D , I'm about to order the M version of your case but have a question regarding the gpu length option. ATM, I have a 175mm graphics card and external brick.

In the future, I might go with either a longer card or either and internal AC-DC. Does the option you select when ordering actually result in a different cases or are both compatible with itx gpu + internal ac-dc and medium sized gpu?

Those option result in exactly the same case. In some situations additional accessories may vary but in your situation, no matter which options you'll choose the case will be compatible with ITX graphics card and HD-PLEX 300W AC-DC unit or a medium sized GPU with external PSU.

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Question @Matt3D, if the xCase S using the Flex ATX were built to support a regular ITX GPU, e.g 1060/1070 mini and not a low profile one, is it possible to flip the orientation of the flex ATX PSU (shorter side on base instead of lenthways), and if so what would the measurements be, if you were to speculate/roughly calculate? Obviously would add extra height which might help for taller CPU coolers, just wondering if you might have some idea. Thanks!

MADHS

Cable Smoosher
May 26, 2018
Updated the case with a different top cover. At the moment it's a fully functional prototype - looks are not perfect yet.

Helps the temperatures quite a lot - at max 50% fan power to keep it silent the idle temperatures are down 5 - 7 degrees, the maximum temps are down 3 - 5 degrees despite giving the GPU 116% power target now.

Finally completed it. Now the top installation is clean.

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
Question @Matt3D, if the xCase S using the Flex ATX were built to support a regular ITX GPU, e.g 1060/1070 mini and not a low profile one, is it possible to flip the orientation of the flex ATX PSU (shorter side on base instead of lenthways), and if so what would the measurements be, if you were to speculate/roughly calculate? Obviously would add extra height which might help for taller CPU coolers, just wondering if you might have some idea. Thanks!
You can get the xCase SE Flex. A Flex ATX Power Supply and a video card measure less than a Flex ATX Power Supply oriented horizontally.
I've build a few of these cases. They can be 9.5cm deep.

Reactions: br3nd0

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
You can get the xCase SE Flex. A Flex ATX Power Supply and a video card measure less than a Flex ATX Power Supply oriented horizontally.

@zzmadd thx for the info, can I find pics anywhere of this xCase SE Flex variant? Cheers!

Reactions: zzmadd

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017

@zzmadd thx for the info, can I find pics anywhere of this xCase SE Flex variant? Cheers!

Extending the length of the case to fit a PSU next to a graphics card is the only way to fit HD-PLEX new 400W AC-DC unit. Versions with extended height would also have enough space to fit a flex ATX PSU. 3D printers which I'm using don't have enough built volume to handle that change. All I can make right now is a version which @zzmadd described. Pictures of ME version are posted below. Width can be decreased and exactly the same GPU - PSU orientation can be supported inside SE version of the case.