Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
how do we order custom color for the side panel ?

Which color are you interested in? It's best to get a confirmation either here or via email that such color is available. If so, you can place the order with a standard black panels on our website and list the color you'd like, in the order notes.

IDontknowMuch

Cable Smoosher
Oct 15, 2018
Hello, I'm new to the forums and just wanted to ask a question or two @Matt3D. I was reading that you enjoy designing cases which is great. Then I believe I saw a black prototype of your design which I thought looked great. I have the
mobo: Asus Strix Mini ITX Z270i
processor: I7-8700
gpu: Evga gtx 1080ti sc
ram: 16gb Trident Z
2 x 2TB m.2 (one I use for the boot drive)
3 x 2TB ssd's

Will I be able to fit most of my setup into your case? or Would I have to make some adjustments as far as the graphic card and possibly omitting an ssd from the build in order for everything to fit? Will there be a problem with over heating? Is it possible to put a screen on your design to make a complete portable device? I love the design of the case but instead of having to buy a monitor it would be better for this design or any design similar to this one to really have a screen.

IDontknowMuch

Cable Smoosher
Oct 15, 2018
I have finally finished a good looking prototype of the case! What do you think?

your case looks awesome. why not design it with the option of having a screen attached to it to eliminate anyone having to buy one seprately?

Reactions: mrfess

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hello, I'm new to the forums and just wanted to ask a question or two @Matt3D. I was reading that you enjoy designing cases which is great. Then I believe I saw a black prototype of your design which I thought looked great. I have the
mobo: Asus Strix Mini ITX Z270i
processor: I7-8700
gpu: Evga gtx 1080ti sc
ram: 16gb Trident Z
2 x 2TB m.2 (one I use for the boot drive)
3 x 2TB ssd's

Will I be able to fit most of my setup into your case? or Would I have to make some adjustments as far as the graphic card and possibly omitting an ssd from the build in order for everything to fit? Will there be a problem with over heating? Is it possible to put a screen on your design to make a complete portable device? I love the design of the case but instead of having to buy a monitor it would be better for this design or any design similar to this one to really have a screen.

I hope that is a typo and you actually have the Strix Z370 motherboard, if not the 8700 will not work with 200 series motherboards.

Reactions: br3nd0

Andorski

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2016
Anyone stuck a PowerColor Vega 56 Nano in the M variant of the case with a HDPlex 400w AC-DC internal brick? I'm wondering if it would get too hot with those two components side-by-side.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Anyone stuck a PowerColor Vega 56 Nano in the M variant of the case with a HDPlex 400w AC-DC internal brick? I'm wondering if it would get too hot with those two components side-by-side.

HD-Plex 400W AC-DC isn't currently supported by xCase M. Unfortunally they made the new unit too long. We're working on a solution though.

Is it also possible to remove the brush aluminum look on the side bazel and make it now subtle like the side panel? Thanks!

The brushed aluminum like look is specific to 3D printed parts and unfortunatelly it's not possible to remove it. The only possible solution would be for a skilled person to sand the bezel, paint it with primer multiple times and then actually paint it.

Starting 25th october I'll be going for a late honeymoon for 2.5 weeks to California. During this time new orders won't be shipped. I changed the lead time on the website to 4 weeks which is about right for an order placed today. Before I come back it might take me a couple of days to respond either here or via email.

carlman14

Cable Smoosher
New User
Sep 17, 2018
Hello all, this is my first post ever on sff forum! I just thought I'd share my build with the xCase S and the one major issue I've encountered. First off, the case is awesome! I am in love with it! However, even though the Modivio website claims that it is compatible with both the g-unique PSU and the gtx 1080 mini, that is definitely not true with the latest batch of g-unique PSU's.

In gury's latest iteration, he uses an xt-90 plug instead of the 8-pin "ultra slim" plug. The xt-90 plug is much larger, and doesn't fit with this GPU. The GPU is too tall, and goes halfway up the c-14 slot, interfering where the g-unique plug would go. I have the gtx 1080 mini from the Aorus e-gpu, but the issue would be still present with the original Gigabyte gtx 1080 mini, as they are the same height.

Here's the build. The case fans are unplugged in this pic. I was testing noise levels with and without them.

Here's a couple pics of the compatibility issue I was talking about:

That was the best I could do with the space. It's a bit ugly hanging out the back, but there's no way to fit it inside the case. My only option would be to actually cut off all of the SLI connectors. It would fit then lol. I don't know... I might end up buying the Lazer3d LZ7 depending on how much it bothers me. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if I could cut off the SLI connectors without damaging the rest gpu?

On a semi-related note, my g-unique kit came with shipping damage and is pretty broken, so now I have to wait for a replacement :(. It's taken so long to get all the parts and now I have to wait longer. I just want to complete the build!

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0

carlman14

Cable Smoosher
New User
Sep 17, 2018
Aaaaaand my pics aren't showing up... Let's try this again:

EDIT: disregard. It took a sec to figure out how to link images lol

ElfinHilon10

Cable Smoosher
Nov 8, 2018
I really love these cases, but is there any chance we might be able to get a less texture to them and some front IO? Also, what about a tempered glass panel on the top? That would be a dream case for sure.

I have a feeling the mesh might be difficult due to thermals.

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
Anybody knows if Matt is back from his trip?
I'm unable to reach him. I have to order another case.

Blue_Qbe

Case Bender
Nov 19, 2018
Hey guys.

I'm looking for compact case that would fit a bigger GPU. The case itself fitting into a cabin luggage. I'm talking about the Xcase LE and with that weight it is perfect. Got a few questions.
Compared to aluminium and steel cases what is the durability on this one?
Could the ABS or acrylic panels crack if the case would get banged a little bit?
Does the extended version fit higher GPU than normal one and if not were does the additional height near GPU go ? (GPU orientation same as motherboard)
The Xcase LE allows only 3 80mm fans. Does it mean you can use only 80mm or 60mm will also fit without modding?
As someone looking for the lightest case i have a hard time believing that every other case is 0.8Kg and LE is 1.2Kg. Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for your replies.