Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

SpencerUk

Average Stuffer
Jun 3, 2018
Appreciate you can only guess, but what temps do you think I'd get with an X99 mini (AIO cooled) with an GTX 1080 mini in this?
Because my X99 mini ITX board is Narrow ILM socket, my cooler choice is zilt.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Matt,

First - thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions - and indeed, all of the community's! Fantastic to see someone willing to invest the time to communicate individually like you have.

A few for you please :

1. EDIT : Scratch this question, already been answered below (was asking about four feet for horizontal orientation);
2. I understand you can increase/reduce height at no cost (within limits). With regards to the 95mm height on the 'E' series of cases - is that because that's the minimum height you need for a dual-slot GPU and the G-Unique AIO? Only reason I ask is that I think the 95mm might be excessive for the Big Shuriken Rev B I'd like to use. Looks like there'd be an extra 10-12mm I could ask you to shave off, but if you tell me those mm's are needed for the G-Unique AIO, no problems - I can just decide to use a full-size 25mm-thick 120mm fan;
3. I think I read earlier to just Paypal you separately for the PCIe risers - how much are they? Or did I miss that too?

Thanks much!

Last edited:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Yes - I meant for a horizontal position. Looking for four feet at the corners.

EDIT : NVM - just saw lower in that Features page linked above, that four corner feet are indeed included.

Toastyc12

What's an ITX?
Jun 16, 2018
Are there any internal dimensions for the Xcase ME? It looks like I'd be able to fit a FlexATX PSU in the space behind the motherboard, and the case theoretically has clearance for it.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
2. I understand you can increase/reduce height at no cost (within limits). With regards to the 95mm height on the 'E' series of cases - is that because that's the minimum height you need for a dual-slot GPU and the G-Unique AIO? Only reason I ask is that I think the 95mm might be excessive for the Big Shuriken Rev B I'd like to use. Looks like there'd be an extra 10-12mm I could ask you to shave off, but if you tell me those mm's are needed for the G-Unique AIO, no problems - I can just decide to use a full-size 25mm-thick 120mm fan;
3. I think I read earlier to just Paypal you separately for the PCIe risers - how much are they? Or did I miss that too?

It's a minimum required for G-Unique AIO, dual-slot GPU and 2 x 2.5" SSD's mounted between them. If you'd be planning to go for only M.2 drives we could reduce height from 95mm to 85mm. G-Unique PSU runs pretty hot and it likes to shut off if fans on the bezel aren't used. Cutting those 10mm will reduce the support of 80mm fans to 60mm ones.

Li-Heat 300mm type B riser which are recommended for same as motherboard orientation are sold for $40.

Where the SSD brackets in the xcaseS, are we able to mount a low rpm huge fan there?

Not at this point but it's possible to mount 120mm fans directly to the side panels (hole grid on the side panels is compatible with the hole distance of 120mm fans).

Are there any internal dimensions for the Xcase ME? It looks like I'd be able to fit a FlexATX PSU in the space behind the motherboard, and the case theoretically has clearance for it.

We were trying to fit FlexATX PSU in the past but unfortunatelly that isn't possible without further extending the case. If it would be placed instead of the HD-PLEX 400W DC-DC unit it wouldn't be possible to mount the power button.

FullForceRainbow

Trash Compacter
May 12, 2016
Appreciate you can only guess, but what temps do you think I'd get with an X99 mini (AIO cooled) with an GTX 1080 mini in this?
Because my X99 mini ITX board is Narrow ILM socket, my cooler choice is zilt.

Which variant are you looking at? You should get quite nice performance with the version that has room for a CLC. If you’re looking for one of the more compact versions I have a set of adapters to let you put an NH-L12S on the narrow ILM socket. They’ve been modded with a hacksaw (they’re meant for the NH-L12), but they work just fine. I’d be happy to send them to you in an envelope :).

Reactions: Matt3D

SpencerUk

Average Stuffer
Jun 3, 2018
Which variant are you looking at? You should get quite nice performance with the version that has room for a CLC. If you’re looking for one of the more compact versions I have a set of adapters to let you put an NH-L12S on the narrow ILM socket. They’ve been modded with a hacksaw (they’re meant for the NH-L12), but they work just fine. I’d be happy to send them to you in an envelope :).

I was looking at the standard L variant or maybe the LE.

I like the slim the very slim look of this case and ultimately it would give me space for an ultrawide monitor, but I X99 at 4ghz I bet can put some heat out where I think I'd have to look at purely an AIO...If I could get away with slim cooler an a full length GPU I'd be happier, but temp wise I just dunno what I'd be looking at....

Gosh life was easier in a full aTX case haha.

Reactions: FullForceRainbow

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
Much easier but I have both cases, next to each other and it's a marvel to think i will stop using, what it now seems to be a, monstrous case.

Yzakz

Efficiency Noob
Jun 22, 2018
Hello, I fell in love with this case, my actual case is a Silverstone RVZ01 cause I was looking for a "small build", and I'm starting to think is a little too big. According to the specs of the xCases, I would need the L (cause my GPU es 8mm longer than the GPU specs for the M). I would like to know if the L es similar to the Silverstone's in size or is it smaller. Thanks.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
xCase L measures 370 x 330 x 72 (8.8 liters) while RVZ01 measures 382 x 350 x 105 (14 liters). Comparing the volume xCase is roughly 1.6 times smaller. Which CPU cooler are you using? The biggest difference is in thickness of the case which limits the height of the cooler.

Yzakz

Efficiency Noob
Jun 22, 2018
The CPU cooler I'm using is a Corsair Hydro H55 (my CPU is a i5-4690k overclocked to 4.2GHz). It barely fits between the motherboard and the upper panel.

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
I kinda have a lot of questions, if some of them were already answered, I'm really sorry. (I just skipped over the thread quickly.)

Before that, there seems to be a typo on the product page (http://modivio.com/product/xcase-me/). I think that the CPU cooler support should be 70mm not 47mm.

All question are for the ME with an internal ac dc and dc dc PSU and the GPU ventilation facing the same side as the motherboard ventilation.

Edit: Scrap the following questions for now, with the HD plex 400 out, I might change what PSU I use.
1. How much space is next to the Mainboard to mount a PSU (for example a hd plex 300w ac dc unit)?

2. How much space is under the GPU and is it possible to add one or two additional pci slot under it. For example for a secondary GPU (I kinda need an additional low end quaddro for cad) and/or more pcie storage using a bifurcation riser.

3. What is the maximum height of the GPU? The power plug seems to be close to the pci slots?

4. Does the riser on the GPU end has additional mounting points in the case?

6. In theory is it possible to make the case around 10-15mm higher (potentially making 15mm thick 80mm fans possible, there are next to none quality 10mm thin 80mm fans) and 5-10mm deeper (potentially making a hd plex 300w ac dc next to the motherboard with the kmpkt dynamo 360 and 160 combo with the 360 in the 2.5 inch area fit)? If yes, how much more would it cost, including an additional PCI slot (if possible)?

Sorry for so many questions.

Last edited:

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
Since I edited my last post way to often already here are my (new) questions.

All question are still for the ME with an internal ac dc and dc dc PSU and the GPU ventilation facing the same side as the motherboard ventilation.

1. Since I doubt, that the hd plex 400w ac dc unit (40mm height) will fit underneath the GPU without modification, would increasing the height of the case from 95mm to 110mm be be enough to allow it to be mounted with a 5-10mm gap to the GPU, while keeping the GPU as far away from the sidepanel as possible?

2. If the he plex fits, would it be possible to fit one stack (3-4 on top of each other) of 2.5" drives parallel next to the HD plex and as close to the front as possible.

3. What's the maximum GPU height and would it be possible to move the c14 plug under the GPU (if increasing the height) to eliminate any possible future GPU incompatibility.

4. With the height increase, it should be possible to fit 92mm fans instead of 80mm. I've read that increasing the height of the case is relatively easy. Would increasing the width from 360 to 370mm also be doable without the cost going through the roof. Because than it would be possible to fit the Noctua slim fans.

5. How much would those changes cost, if they are even possible?

Sorry again for the many questions and sorry for wanting to change your design so much, but this case is just so close to be perfect for me, that I couldn't resist to ask anyway.

Last edited:

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Since these are 3D printed, is it possible to pay extra to get one of your standard models altered slightly?

I'm thinking of getting the xCase L, but i wouldn't use an SFX PSU with it. I'd use an external power brick with an internal dc/dc board. In that space in the front, have the bottom cover have 2 large cut outs for 2x 120mm fans instead of the small holes (in just the front section of that bottom cover), so i can mount a 240mm rad in that space.

Also, have you looked into having a TG top panel as an option? I could always order one seperate on my own, but it would be nice to have it come with the case.

EDIT: One other thing. Is it possible to pay you to allow someone else to 3d print this case? Josh has a 3D printer that uses Onyx. It would be cheaper to get it shipped to me from Mississippi than from Europe.

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Sorry guys for staying quiet the last couple of days. Today is my wedding day. I'll answer all questions shortly after the weekend.

Hi! Your case is in the middle of the manufacturing process. It's going to be shipped in the first week of july.
Congrats! Enjoy!