Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Falcor6

Case Bender
Jul 2, 2018
Hope your wedding went great!

I'm building my first PC soon with the S and I have a couple questions:

1. I'm planning on using Ryzen 5 1600 w/MSI RX 560 AERO GPU. Will the HDPlex 160w be enough to handle that?

2. It's looks like a couple people have tried but is there a successful way to go brickless with the xcase S? If a lengthening would be needed, how much would it be? Or is it a bad idea in the first place heat-wise?

3. Considering the glossy black semi transparent acrylic panels (standard design). Will the screws be flush with the surface? I noticed in the acriylic prototype they were not.

4. Finally, how much will the Modivio/LiHeat riser be?

I can't wait to build with this case! It's a beauty.

Last edited:

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
You cn go brickless with low profile video card or by using a G-Unique combo.
Check the many RX 560 options as Sapphire for example has plenty of models from 45W to 90W

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
If the xCase M was 33cm. instead of 36cm. and 60mm. high instead of 72mm. i would've bought it!
If you have a thinner variant without the 4 fans on the side and slimmer, i would be very happy to get one!
Also do you consider making one for the upcoming HDPLEX 400W AC-DC internal unit?
Cheers!

Falcor6

Case Bender
Jul 2, 2018
You cn go brickless with low profile video card or by using a G-Unique combo.
Check the many RX 560 options as Sapphire for example has plenty of models from 45W to 90W

The Sapphire RX 560 (45W) is 210mm long, the xcase S can only fit a GPU under 175mm right?

Do you still have to have the Dell external brick with the G-Unique PSU?

Could the HDPlex work with the MSI RX 560 4GT LP?: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814137308

Last edited:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
First - congrats on the wedding, good Sir! Don't you dare come back here for the next two weeks minimum! :) Spend some quality time with your spouse - she'll be there long after we're gone.

When you ARE back, quick question for you : looking at renders, seems to me that there's too much room in an M for just the hdplex 400w dc-atx unit. The extra depth is for the ac-dc unit. But - what if I were to ask for an S, but with the tiny bit of extra depth needed to accommodate the 400w dc-atx unit in front of the motherboard, and using an outside brick? That something you could do?

EDIT : Or maybe, just maybe, the 400w dc-atx unit would fit as is in front of the motherboard? Looks like there's maybe just, just enough space for that...

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
1. Since I doubt, that the hd plex 400w ac dc unit (40mm height) will fit underneath the GPU without modification, would increasing the height of the case from 95mm to 110mm be be enough to allow it to be mounted with a 5-10mm gap to the GPU, while keeping the GPU as far away from the sidepanel as possible?

2. If the he plex fits, would it be possible to fit one stack (3-4 on top of each other) of 2.5" drives parallel next to the HD plex and as close to the front as possible.

3. What's the maximum GPU height and would it be possible to move the c14 plug under the GPU (if increasing the height) to eliminate any possible future GPU incompatibility.

4. With the height increase, it should be possible to fit 92mm fans instead of 80mm. I've read that increasing the height of the case is relatively easy. Would increasing the width from 360 to 370mm also be doable without the cost going through the roof. Because than it would be possible to fit the Noctua slim fans.

5. How much would those changes cost, if they are even possible?

We're working on fitting HD-PLEX 400W AC-DC unit into our cases. Unfortunatelly it's too long to fit in the same place as 300W unit does. It's not as simple as extending the height of the case. We cannot guarantee the support untill final drawings are released by HD-PLEX or untill we get one unit to test compatibility.

Most of the changes are possible but they are time consuming to make. We get a lot of requests with similar changes so you may expect changes like this to be made in our future products.

Hope your wedding went great!

I'm building my first PC soon with the S and I have a couple questions:

1. I'm planning on using Ryzen 5 1600 w/MSI RX 560 AERO GPU. Will the HDPlex 160w be enough to handle that?

2. It's looks like a couple people have tried but is there a successful way to go brickless with the xcase S? If a lengthening would be needed, how much would it be? Or is it a bad idea in the first place heat-wise?

3. Considering the glossy black semi transparent acrylic panels (standard design). Will the screws be flush with the surface? I noticed in the acriylic prototype they were not.

4. Finally, how much will the Modivio/LiHeat riser be?

I can't wait to build with this case! It's a beauty.
The Sapphire RX 560 (45W) is 210mm long, the xcase S can only fit a GPU under 175mm right?

Do you still have to have the Dell external brick with the G-Unique PSU?

Could the HDPlex work with the MSI RX 560 4GT LP?: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814137308

Thanks!

Using MSI RX 560 4GT LP with HD-PLEX 160W unit is actually the best way to go brickless in xCase S. I'd recommend choosing graphics card facing an opposite direction to the motherboard and mounting HD-PLEX unit to the side panel using a piece of velcro.

We used rounded head screws to mount side panels in old prototypes but now all cases are shipped with countersunk screws which are hidden slightly below the surface of the panel. They look great and same solution is used in tranparent versions of side panels.

Li-Heat 300mm type B risers (for versions with graphics card facing the same direction as motherboard) are sold for $40. We're not selling risers for versions with graphics card facing an opposite direction to the motherboard just yet. You can buy it here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintech-PC...d-5cm-high-speed-Flexible-Cable-/221770562888

First - congrats on the wedding, good Sir! Don't you dare come back here for the next two weeks minimum! :) Spend some quality time with your spouse - she'll be there long after we're gone.

When you ARE back, quick question for you : looking at renders, seems to me that there's too much room in an M for just the hdplex 400w dc-atx unit. The extra depth is for the ac-dc unit. But - what if I were to ask for an S, but with the tiny bit of extra depth needed to accommodate the 400w dc-atx unit in front of the motherboard, and using an outside brick? That something you could do?

EDIT : Or maybe, just maybe, the 400w dc-atx unit would fit as is in front of the motherboard? Looks like there's maybe just, just enough space for that...

Thanks! Approx 10mm could be cut from the width of xCase M to still fit HD-PLEX 400W DC-ATX unit. Cable management won't be as easy though. The second thing is that our manufacturer charges extra for custom sized side panels. It would cost extra $50.

Reactions: Aki

wabbitro

Caliper Novice
Feb 17, 2017
Just wanted to let ya'll know about my stuff regarding fitment.

Specs: 7700k, MSI Aero ITX 1070, NVMe SSD, G-unique 400W brick.
Noctua L9i -> replaced with noctuas 94x25mm vs the slim.
Configuration: xCase S. CPU/motherboard and GPU facing same direction, with dc jack in middle.

Everything fits okay. but a few things I ran into.

1. I got one of the first g-unique psu's from this forum so my mounting for the DC jack was 4 screws vs the slim screw layout, this interfered with the top of the pcb of my GPU, however, by installing the GPU first, I was able to fit it. The jack would hit the pcb until fully screwed in, when it would pop into place, barely touching it.

2. I also bought 4 x 60mmx10mm fans. two fans near the CPU fit perfectly, just needed some cable management to avoid clipping the fan against any wires. However, I was unable to mount both 60mm fans near the GPU. one would always hit the riser cable, and the other sometimes hit it. I would need to open the case up and fix it, but it seems okay for now as long as I dont move it.

Temps:
GPU: 58-62 on load
CPU: 62-64 on load @ 1035 RPM

Case fans towards the CPU are at 1700 RPM constant. (exhaust)
Case fans towards GPU are at 1850RPM constant. (exhaust)

I do not have any pictures of the build but can take some if you guys want.

Reactions: br3nd0 and Matt3D

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Just wanted to let ya'll know about my stuff regarding fitment.

Specs: 7700k, MSI Aero ITX 1070, NVMe SSD, G-unique 400W brick.
Noctua L9i -> replaced with noctuas 94x25mm vs the slim.
Configuration: xCase S. CPU/motherboard and GPU facing same direction, with dc jack in middle.

Everything fits okay. but a few things I ran into.

1. I got one of the first g-unique psu's from this forum so my mounting for the DC jack was 4 screws vs the slim screw layout, this interfered with the top of the pcb of my GPU, however, by installing the GPU first, I was able to fit it. The jack would hit the pcb until fully screwed in, when it would pop into place, barely touching it.

2. I also bought 4 x 60mmx10mm fans. two fans near the CPU fit perfectly, just needed some cable management to avoid clipping the fan against any wires. However, I was unable to mount both 60mm fans near the GPU. one would always hit the riser cable, and the other sometimes hit it. I would need to open the case up and fix it, but it seems okay for now as long as I dont move it.

Temps:
GPU: 58-62 on load
CPU: 62-64 on load @ 1035 RPM

Case fans towards the CPU are at 1700 RPM constant. (exhaust)
Case fans towards GPU are at 1850RPM constant. (exhaust)

I do not have any pictures of the build but can take some if you guys want.

Pics!

MADHS

Cable Smoosher
May 26, 2018
Got myself a xCase ME some weeks ago. Completed the build some days ago - buildlog with pictures:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/b/LZr6Mp

Some small things I did not mention there:

1) it is neccessary to plug the cables at the side to the case into the HD Plex power supply before screwing it in place
2) I don't know how it should be possible to mount a fan beside the power supply. to me the cables block this place
3) cable routing is essential, there is place for some cables between the HDD rack and the GPU
4) be careful not to overtighten the screws, otherwise there is a risk of loosening the pressed in threads

SpencerUk

Average Stuffer
Jun 3, 2018

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Where did you get the riser cable from, didn't think you could purchase it yet? - I see no option on the site.

@Matt3D - Very odd question, in the "L" version, could you fit an 92mm AIO (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-liquid-cooling-upgrade-bundle-bu-0cn-tl.html) and say a slightly longer card than 170mm or is that out of the question?

Riser isn't listed on our website yet but we sell it for $40 - we issue an additional invoice on Paypal.

I don't see why this 92mm AIO shouldn't fit. They say that tubes are flexible which is the most important factor. There is approx. 66mm between the side panels. We'll just have to add two additional mounting holes for 92mm radiator on the back side panel.

SpencerUk

Average Stuffer
Jun 3, 2018
I'm assuming @Matt3D it would have to be a slim fan (14mm) onto the rad which shouldn't be an issue.

The only other way I can think of cooling this 2011v3 Narrow ILM socket would be cable tie a fan onto a heatsink....But if I do this, I gain a full size GPU over half size cards which are more expensive and more likely to throttle quicker...hmm...

octiny

Chassis Packer
Jul 26, 2018
What's the difference between Post Office Priority and EMS shipping? Any DHL shipping?

How long would it take to ship to the US? Interested in getting the Xcase L in all matte black.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: DarthEm1

calvinpp

Caliper Novice
Dec 9, 2017
Just got my xCase L. I love it! I made a little post about it:

Looks awesome! Question though: wouldn't it be really bad for acoustics if the position of the computer is right beside the right speaker? I used to have a pair of iLouds before I upgraded to other monitors (I sort of regret selling them since they were actually very decent for their size)