Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Softdrink

Cable Smoosher
Feb 27, 2018
Just heard of this project - very exciting!

I'm very tempted to build one myself, but my primary use case would be a portable machine for events and onsite use. Thus, it would probably be subject to a fair bit of abuse.

I'm curious how durable the 3D-printed materials are, but my main concern would actually be the acrylic warping or breaking if I were to pack a build into a suitcase. Can anyone report on the durability of the case?

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
I wouldn't use it for traveling sincerely, unless your are going for the smaller models. There will be some flex on the panels and if your luggage tumbles around with heavy things then maybe it can be to much. That said if you have a slim and light build on the smaller models i think it would be sturdy enough.
They were careful enough with the thickness of the materials and it's much sturdier than most of the other plastics i've had in cases.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
* Have you considered something like a USB C front header? Personally I would like to see a USB 3 and a USB C at the front either side of the power button..Maybe good for future expansion or something that can just interconnect like I saw recently on a Fractal case.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll consider adding an optional USB front header in the second generation of xCase.

Picking up an xCase L - can we use 40x40x10 fans in this (in lieu of the 60x60x10)? Not sure what the mounting points look like...

Standard version of the bezel supports only 60mm fans but we can adjust the mounting points for 40mm fans or even make both sets. Just leave a note in the order notes at the checkout stage. Another solution would be to use Noctua's Low Noise adaptor with any of the 60mm fans https://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/na-src10 .

Just heard of this project - very exciting!

I'm very tempted to build one myself, but my primary use case would be a portable machine for events and onsite use. Thus, it would probably be subject to a fair bit of abuse.

I'm curious how durable the 3D-printed materials are, but my main concern would actually be the acrylic warping or breaking if I were to pack a build into a suitcase. Can anyone report on the durability of the case?

Which version are you interested in? Small versions like xCase S, SE and M are extremely durable and lightweight. Occasional traveling with bigger models shouldn't be a problem either but for the constant use we'd recommend that the smaller the better. BTW we did some drop testing of xCase M (without the components in) and we couldn't get it broken.

What is the optimal fan configuration for the S. Is it 4x exhaust?

Exactly. All four bezel fans should be exhausting air. Negative pressure will draw cold air through side panels.

Reactions: Jello

Softdrink

Cable Smoosher
Feb 27, 2018
Which version are you interested in? Small versions like xCase S, SE and M are extremely durable and lightweight. Occasional traveling with bigger models shouldn't be a problem either but for the constant use we'd recommend that the smaller the better. BTW we did some drop testing of xCase M (without the components in) and we couldn't get it broken.

Ah, good to know. I was definitely most interested in S and M models; I'm still not 100% sure what my final hardware spec would be, so I'm not sure which of those I would end up with, but I like the form factor a lot - the L and xE models don't interest me nearly as much.

The only significant issue that I would have is that I currently have a full-length GPU sitting mostly idle in an existing machine that I could reuse in this build; but with the S and M cases I don't believe it would fit. Again, though, the smaller models are much more appealing to me for a variety of reasons, so this isn't a huge problem.

Reactions: Matt3D

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Hi guys, I'd like to present to you a new prototype of xCase Nano! After hundreds of prints, more than 10 materials tested and weeks of calibration I've chosen a high quality ABS filament as the final material to manufacture the case from.

Here is the list of changes I've made:
- Current dimensions are 350 x 196 x 70mm. Length got increased to comfortably fit Sintech's PCI-E riser and graphics card power connector. Additionally I added 3mm in thickness to fit higher CPU coolers
- In a rear, bottom corner of the case I've added a power connector adapter. I'll supply a couple of different adapters to fit different power connectors - DC jacks, 8 pin connectors and even C14 connector for AC versions of the case
- I've added an on/off switch with built in LED
- There are 2 additional mounting screws on each panel to improve stiffness (6 per panel in total)

Hardware fits perfectly, there are just a couple small changes needed to improve printability and I'll manufacture the first batch of xCase Nano (most likely 10 pcs).

Black panel:

Smoked panel:

Clear panel:

Stunning.

Any plan to sell this type of bezel/cover? Maybe with the vandal Switch on the back instead on front...

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Couple of questions :

1. Power switch always has to be bought separately, correct?

2. Any chance an xCase S could be made a little deeper to accommodate an mATX board? I have a Z370G board I'd like to keep. I'm thinking just make the case 3" deeper, but keep the same width - I'd just use the main PCIe slot so I don't mind if the GPU obscures the other slots. Long shot, but thought I'd ask...:)

EDIT : Looking at this, it looks like a mATX board would JUST fit in an xCase M. If I have an ITX GPU, I could maybe put the power supply in the area in front of the gpu? Ever been done?

Thanks, and fantastic work! Great idea.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
What do you guys think?
245 x 205 x 72 brickless xCase XS for APU build with space for internal HD-PLEX 160W AC-DC unit
OR
215 x 205 x 72 xCase XS with external bricks? :)

Couple of questions :

1. Power switch always has to be bought separately, correct?

2. Any chance an xCase S could be made a little deeper to accommodate an mATX board? I have a Z370G board I'd like to keep. I'm thinking just make the case 3" deeper, but keep the same width - I'd just use the main PCIe slot so I don't mind if the GPU obscures the other slots. Long shot, but thought I'd ask...:)

EDIT : Looking at this, it looks like a mATX board would JUST fit in an xCase M. If I have an ITX GPU, I could maybe put the power supply in the area in front of the gpu? Ever been done?

Thanks, and fantastic work! Great idea.

Thanks!

1. You're right, power buttons are sold separatelly.

2. We'd have to make a fully custom 360 x 270 version of xCase M to fit mATX motherboard. It would occupy the space for 2.5" SSD drives so only M.2 drives would have to be used. I'd have to check if 72mm thickness of the case would be enough. Adding space for internal HD-PLEX PSU would require extending the dimensions to approx. 360 x 300 x 95mm but we don't have a mATX motherboard so we won't be able to confirm that everything fits in a prototype. Either way those changes are time consuming.

MADHS

Cable Smoosher
May 26, 2018
What do you guys think?
245 x 205 x 72 brickless xCase XS for APU build with space for internal HD-PLEX 160W AC-DC unit
OR

I would like the 215 x 205 x 72 but I do have another idea / wish:

Make it stackable, with a second stack which can house a GPU card, horizontal, connected via rizer cable ... inspiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RiscPC

And I would prefer a real quadrat, so 215 x 215 mm.

Last edited:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Thanks for responses - appreciate the time you took. So, OK - scrap that idea then. =)

Another one then, if I may, in a totally different direction : if I use a Zotac 1050 single-fan GPU, can I fit an HDPlex 160W AC-DC unit in the space in front of the GPU? It looks like it would be VERY tight but potentially feasible.

Last edited:

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
What do you guys think?
OR

Hi Matt,
That's a nice machine!!
In my humble opinion with just a little effort you can extend the case so that a low profile video card can be installed. xCase XSE??
I would, again in my humble opinion, make it large enough to accomodate a 400W HD-PLEX DC-ATX with External Brick AND a low profile vertically mounted graphics card. It probably going to be just a few centimetres wider and probably as tall as the xCase SE \ ME \ LE.
Thanks!

Last edited:

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
I would like the 215 x 205 x 72 but I do have another idea / wish:

Make it stackable, with a second stack which can house a GPU card, horizontal, connected via rizer cable ... inspiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RiscPC

And I would prefer a real quadrat, so 215 x 215 mm.
That's an interesting idea BTW!!
The issue is the CPU cooler clearance in relationship to the GPU positioning.
12cm slim side fans could be used.

Last edited:

BomberBatty

Case Bender
New User
Jun 1, 2018
Oh please, please post a video with something printed with those thermo-sensitive materials, even just some case feet, showing the color change. I'm really curious about that !
That being said, I've a question for you @Matt3D : it's possible to fit the G-UNIQUE + HP AIO combo in the xCase S with a single slot card ?
Or do I need to ditch the card entirely and go with IG (which I'm thinking to do, maybe with future Ryzen APUs) instead ?

*snip* But I'm glad you mentioned thermo-sensitive material. We have a couple of spools of the material changing the color from grey to white and from violet to pink. We could also get the material changing the color from red to white. Just imaging the case being red and then turning white when you turn the computer on.

Reactions: Matt3D and zzmadd

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
Oh please, please post a video with something printed with those thermo-sensitive materials, even just some case feet, showing the color change. I'm really curious about that !
That being said, I've a question for you @Matt3D : it's possible to fit the G-UNIQUE + HP AIO combo in the xCase S with a single slot card ?
Or do I need to ditch the card entirely and go with IG (which I'm thinking to do, maybe with future Ryzen APUs) instead ?

That probably would be my next case, the color changing one or at least some custom panels.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Thanks for the opinions on xCase XS. We'll carefully consider each idea.

72 mm is the lowest it gets? Why? Cause cryorig C7?

Because this is the lowest dimension which fits 60mm fans attached to the bezel. It can be decreased by a couple of milimeters if someone doesn't want the fans.

Thanks for responses - appreciate the time you took. So, OK - scrap that idea then. =)

Another one then, if I may, in a totally different direction : if I use a Zotac 1050 single-fan GPU, can I fit an HDPlex 160W AC-DC unit in the space in front of the GPU? It looks like it would be VERY tight but potentially feasible.

Theoretically there would be 1mm space between the graphics card and an HD-PLEX 160W AC-DC.

It looks more or less like this
Regarding the ability to fit G-Unique + HP AIO PSU in the xCase S - are you planning to use any 2.5" drives? If you don't then it's going to fit. If you do graphics card would be touching the drives. In that case we would recommend to increase thickness of the case from 72mm to 77mm - at no additional cost.

Hey @Matt3D what max height for 2.5" SSDs is allowed in xCase S, 7mm / 9mm / 15mm?

Drives up to 9 milimeters are going to fit. The situation is the same as above. Thickness of the case can be customize at no additional cost so fitting 15mm drives won't be an issue if we add a few milimeters.

Reactions: br3nd0