Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

ExtremelyLoudNinja

Chassis Packer
Mar 19, 2017
Li-Heat Type D riser will fit without the case fans mounted to the bezel. Type B isn't listed in our shop but we sell it unoficially.

We recently got confirmation that Asus GTX 1080 Strix fits inside xCase L/LE. It's 134mm high, while Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini is 131mm high so it should fit without issues.

Thanks for the reply. Ah great news, I should never have bought the itx card anyway...should be getting a new 2080 so waiting for that.

Will purchase the case in the mean time. Also, what colour(s) are available for the panel? Read somehwere too that I purchase an acrylic transparent panel ...:D

Ninja

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Ah great news, I should never have bought the itx card anyway...should be getting a new 2080 so waiting for that.

Will purchase the case in the mean time. Also, what colour(s) are available for the panel? Read somehwere too that I purchase an acrylic transparent panel ...:D

Here is the list of available colors of the side panels. They increase the lead time by a couple of days.
  • Black (matte surface) (default color)
  • Black (glossy surface)
  • Black - smoked (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • Black - smoked (glossy surface, semi transparent)
  • Light grey (glossy surface)
  • Dark grey (glossy surface)
  • Frost white (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • White (glossy surface)
  • Gold (glossy surface)
  • Orange (glossy surface)
  • Yellow (glossy surface)
  • Light green (glossy surface)
  • Pink (glossy surface)
  • Navy blue (glossy surface)
  • Blue (glossy surface)
  • Sky blue (glossy surface)
  • Red (glossy surface)
  • Clear transparent
  • Red transparent
  • Green transparent
  • Blue transparent
  • Grey transparent

cyberhoundMkII

Cable Smoosher
Sep 7, 2018
Trying to catch up with all the pages here, but it's quite a read. I have some questions for all satisfied owners.

I read somewhere along the line, that it's recommended to use all exhaust fans on the bezel, but then if every fan pushes the air out, the air is sucked into the case through all the vents that have no filters on them and pretty large holes. So my question is, isn't dust a bit of a problem here?

My second concern is the noise. I'm planning to buy L version and put a pretty powerful hardware inside, so I end up depending on 5 60mm case fans to cool everything that doesn't have it's own fan. I currently have PC that uses only Noctua fans, and it's silent to the point I only recognize if it's on by the LEDs. How big of a downgrade we are talking here in terms of noise, and what could be done to keep it low?

Do fans make any funky sounds through those narrow, long vents on the side?

Currently all cases support 10mm thick fans, I wonder if a 20mm size compromise would be worth the effort and additional costs, so I can put some quality fans inside. I can't find anything decent that's 10mm, I'm really scared of having a tractor on my desk, since I've been enjoying beautiful silence for a long time now :)

Thanks!

Reactions: br3nd0

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
I have the 60mm fans Modivio used to advice before these ones with a slow CPU i3-8100. They're quieter than Intel stock cooler and rarely even spin up.
But my build is not a heat producing machine, but I suspect the rush to fans is a bit hysterical...
:D

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Here is the list of available colors of the side panels. They increase the lead time by a couple of days.
  • Black (matte surface) (default color)
  • Black (glossy surface)
  • Black - smoked (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • Black - smoked (glossy surface, semi transparent)
  • Light grey (glossy surface)
  • Dark grey (glossy surface)
  • Frost white (matte surface, semi transparent)
  • White (glossy surface)
  • Gold (glossy surface)
  • Orange (glossy surface)
  • Yellow (glossy surface)
  • Light green (glossy surface)
  • Pink (glossy surface)
  • Navy blue (glossy surface)
  • Blue (glossy surface)
  • Sky blue (glossy surface)
  • Red (glossy surface)
  • Clear transparent
  • Red transparent
  • Green transparent
  • Blue transparent
  • Grey transparent
Is it possible to do a matte orange?

SomeBoredGuy

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2018
Hey @Matt3D
greetings from down under :)

Amazing work one of my friends one that did this review (Here.)
has got me to check this project and gotta say love it. just awaiting more info on the rtx line before I decide on hardware.
so far going ryzen 1700/2700 (depending if I can get a good deal) and whatever mobo/ram/m.2

got a few questions.
do you have a consolidated post/spreadsheet of recommended/required parts
understand ill need a riser cable (gotta find one that ships to me)
also, looking for recommendations for psu looking an HD plex 400 or should I look for something else?
don't plan to use sata or molex at all to lower cables. looking for something to power a gtx 1080 (or rtx c 1080/1070 depending on actual perf information)

also any plans on a version of this case for low profile custom water cooling?

thanks keep up the great work :thumb:

MADHS

Cable Smoosher
May 26, 2018
Do fans make any funky sounds through those narrow, long vents on the side?

Currently all cases support 10mm thick fans, I wonder if a 20mm size compromise would be worth the effort and additional costs, so I can put some quality fans inside. I can't find anything decent that's 10mm, I'm really scared of having a tractor on my desk, since I've been enjoying beautiful silence for a long time now :)
Thanks!

To me the sound of the side fans is totally normal, no unusual sounds.

As mentioned here https://de.pcpartpicker.com/b/LZr6Mp it's possible to put in 15mm deep fans. The NoiseBlocker BlackSilentPro PC-P 30.6 CFM 80mm are better then the Akasa ones anyway.

Reactions: Matt3D

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
got a few questions.
do you have a consolidated post/spreadsheet of recommended/required parts
understand ill need a riser cable (gotta find one that ships to me)
also, looking for recommendations for psu looking an HD plex 400 or should I look for something else?
don't plan to use sata or molex at all to lower cables. looking for something to power a gtx 1080 (or rtx c 1080/1070 depending on actual perf information)

Making a spreadsheet with recommended parts - including recommended builds is an amazing idea. We don't have it at this point but I'll definitelly make it in the future. Besides the standard PC components you need a button (which is sold separatelly) and a PCI-e riser. We can offer a Li-Heat 300mm type B riser which fits perfectly in version of the case with graphics card facing the same direction as motherboard.

If you don't mind an external power brick then HD-Plex 400W unit is the best bet. 400W AC-DC unit unfortunatelly doesn't fit inside. Choosing xCase L / LE and a SFX PSU is the best way to have an all internal power supply capable of powering GTX 1080/1070 and Ryzen 1700/2700.

also any plans on a version of this case for low profile custom water cooling?

xCase L fits 120mm AIO if an ITX graphics card is used :)

Checkout Perspex Mandarin Orange :)

Thanks for the tip! It seems to be widely available in the UK. I'll ask around if anyone has it in Poland.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
If you could send me a list of some max dimensions for the certain cases I might be able to help you with a recommended parts list. Or even a compatible parts list or spreadsheet maybe. I’ve got a lot of spare time on my hands now that Im without a pc for a while

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018
Where does the case ship from? I'm in Europe.. if it ships from the US I would need to pay import taxes.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
btw is it possible to order sidepanels separately if you want to change colors later?

Sure, that's not a problem at all.

Is there any timeframe at what date the XS case will be available?

We didn't see much interest in XS version lately so we switched our focus to scaling our manufacturing process. The design of xCase XS is almost ready though.

Where does the case ship from? I'm in Europe.. if it ships from the US I would need to pay import taxes.
I think they're based out of Poland.

Yes, we manufacture our cases in Europe so no import taxes would have to be paid.

MADHS

Cable Smoosher
May 26, 2018
Updated the case with a different top cover. At the moment it's a fully functional prototype - looks are not perfect yet.

Helps the temperatures quite a lot - at max 50% fan power to keep it silent the idle temperatures are down 5 - 7 degrees, the maximum temps are down 3 - 5 degrees despite giving the GPU 116% power target now.

Reactions: Matt3D and br3nd0

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Will the old version of the Bezel be coming back? Looks stunning

Unfortunatelly we have no plans to bring it back.

Helps the temperatures quite a lot - at max 50% fan power to keep it silent the idle temperatures are down 5 - 7 degrees, the maximum temps are down 3 - 5 degrees despite giving the GPU 116% power target now.

Awesome! It looks amazing. Is it a grey matte acrylic glass?