Completed Project PURE: 3L APU case, MEANWELL Support

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Got it today man what a beauty. Also, I owe you 5 bucks, can you send me an invoice? Lastly, I need to order a power supply, can I get them off your site?

Glad you like it!

It's available here: https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=meanwell-rps-200w-kit

Currently out of stock. I should get some more AC-DC units in stock next week. If you already have a Plugin DC Board, then I can let you know what you'll need to get it running.

Samsquamptch

Trash Compacter
Jun 22, 2016
I’m a massive supporter for the DeskMini a300 and the idea of a ryzen apu on an stx board. However, the current specs of the ryzen 5 3600G places it’s TDP at 95w, with the ASRock board only rated for 65w; this case is a perfect enclosure to get the most out of the 3600G and the apu format. I’m excited to get my hands on that chip, I feel like it’s going to be a beast, and I can’t wait to throw it in the pure.

Reactions: Jello

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I’m a massive supporter for the DeskMini a300 and the idea of a ryzen apu on an stx board. However, the current specs of the ryzen 5 3600G places it’s TDP at 95w, with the ASRock board only rated for 65w; this case is a perfect enclosure to get the most out of the 3600G and the apu format. I’m excited to get my hands on that chip, I feel like it’s going to be a beast, and I can’t wait to throw it in the pure.
I wouldn't put too much faith in those leaks as of right now. No new desktop APUs were announced at CES so I think you will be waiting a while.

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018

Just wanted to take a moment to thank Thehack for a great product and excellent customer care!
The Pure case fits all I needed for a small, attractive and powerful HTPC.

Inside the case:

MSI B450I Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 2400G
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
G.Skill Flare-X DDR4 3200 8GBx2
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2
XPG SX8200 240GB M.2 on a Riitop PCIe M.2adapter
J-HACK's Meanwell RPS 200W kit

All is running well, videos play smoothly, 1080P gaming runs great and the CPU stays cool !
I just need a longer wire for the power switch to the motherboard. As seen below the only way to
run it is over the CPU fan. This MSI motherboards JFP1 connecter is in the back left corner.

Thanks again to J-Hack for a great product!

Michael

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2016

Just wanted to take a moment to thank Thehack for a great product and excellent customer care!

Inside the case:

MSI B450I Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 2400G
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4

All is running well, videos play smoothly, 1080P gaming runs great and the CPU stays cool !
I just need a longer wire for the power switch to the motherboard. As seen below the only way to
run it is over the CPU fan. This MSI motherboards JFP1 connecter is in the back left corner.

Nice build! Is it possible to create a RAID when you use the Riitop adapter?

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
Nice build! Is it possible to create a RAID when you use the Riitop adapter?

Thanks for the comment on my build! I am sorry, I haven't built anything with RAID, others on this forum are much more knowledgeable than me.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Inside the case:

MSI B450I Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 2400G
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4

Sweet build! Glad you like it. Using a pcie to m.2 is an excellent way to decrease wires inside the case.

I'm sorry that the stock length is so short. I thought most motherboards have put the pins towards the front edges, but this specific board seems to be an exception. I'll look into increasing the default length a bit more when I re-order.

I believe this is the only board that has this placement. -_-

If you want to modify it yourself, you can use some wiring and electrical tape and splice it in yourself. The wire does not carry much current so doing it is quite safe.

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
I have been thinking of doing a splice on the wires, but hate the thought, even though it would be hidden out of sight. For now it is working well. I will first look around for a switch with a couple more inches of length. No worries, there is no way for you to anticipate all motherboard designs.

Reactions: chyll2

Samsquamptch

Trash Compacter
Jun 22, 2016
Any word on the power supply order? It's the only component missing and I really want to use the meanwell instead of an external brick

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
No problem I appreciate your trying to help. I found this cable and may cut off the switches and use the two wires for power and led and use my existing switch.

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
If anyone wants to use the MSI B450I Gaming motherboard the cable for the power switch available from J-Hack (right now) are too short to reach the connector in the back left corner of the case without running it over the CPU fan. Don't let that deter you from buying this excellent case and motherboard. I found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787L4P3F/?tag=theminutiae-20
It is a bit long at 23.6 inches but I was able to run it between the motherboard and Meanwell power supply, along the back and with a short loop under the motherboard get it plugged in.
J-HACK's Meanwell RPS 200W kit is fantastic at keeping cable clutter to a minimum! Someone in an earlier post suggested removing the power supply from it's cage and painting it black which I did and I flipped it in the cage to get cooler air from the side hopefully. I am well pleased with this project.