Completed Project PURE: 3L APU case, MEANWELL Support

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
If you need someone to test it out with an AM4 B450 motherboard and GTX 1050 ti LP with shroud removed and two 80x15mm slim fans installed instead, I'm your man...

I've about had it with my Realan E-i7 and am considering taking a Dremel to it.
Just wondering, what's bad about the Realan E-I7? It seems okay for what it is, although it doesn't fit a HDPlex 160w AC-DC.

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
It has terrible ventilation. The top isn't ventilated so it ends up being a hotbox.
Is that the case? I was just looking at theGryphon's build log of his Realan E-I7 and it looked like airflow was okay, although his setup is a bit over the top as he uses two 80mm fans as intake and the cpu cooler fan as exhaust.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Is that the case? I was just looking at theGryphon's build log of his Realan E-I7 and it looked like airflow was okay, although his setup is a bit over the top as he uses two 80mm fans as intake and the cpu cooler fan as exhaust.

You can click through my build log in my signature to see mine. I added about 200 holes in the case lid for ventilation.

I suppose I just phrased my post wrong - it's not that I don't like the Realan E-i7, it has served me well for YEARS (2011 or 2012 I think) and the custom version I got from a member over at AVSForums has been excellent in almost every way! I would highly recommend this case for a variety of uses. It has been flexible to adapt to my changing hardware needs over the years (which has been significant and predates the build in my signature by many years). I even fit a AC-DC internal PSU in there.

It's just now that I've added a 1050 ti and two 80x15mm case fans to feed it air I'm running up against another airflow issue and I think it is just the limitation of this case. It still performs fine I just wish I could run the fans slower to make less noise as this is in my living room as a gaming HTPC. I really should have resisted the urge to upgrade beyond a 2400g APU, which was perfect in this case.

Reactions: Soul_Est

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018

Alright. So there are two directions to go with the XL version. Since it is a bit bigger, I'm sure some people would like to "stand" it up. Which means if I keep the same two piece construction, it doesn't look nice.

So I have come up with a three panel design. Using 3 panels is going to increase cost, especially at such low runs. The two panel design is going to look just like the original design but blown up to be bigger. So what do you guys think? Two or three panel design?
How much would it increase cost? I personally love the idea of a tiny case like this standing upright, but if it adds an extra 33% cost to manufacturing, it might not be worth it.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
How much would it increase cost? I personally love the idea of a tiny case like this standing upright, but if it adds an extra 33% cost to manufacturing, it might not be worth it.

Probably 25%. It is another sheet to laser cut, deburr, tapped/bored, bent, and powder coated.

If the PURE version sells well, I can be more confident in placing a larger order for the XL version, thus lower the selling price.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016

I know I'm being picky right now, but the vents sould align better with CPU cooler to avoid turbulence and provide better airflow. Based on the pic above, one more "vent column" put on the left and one less "vent column" on the right should be enough to improve airflow and reduce the passive dust deployment inside the case.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I know I'm being picky right now, but the vents sould align better with CPU cooler to avoid turbulence and provide better airflow. Based on the pic above, one more "vent column" put on the left and one less "vent column" on the right should be enough to improve airflow and reduce the passive dust deployment inside the case.

This is actually a weird motherboard. You can see in other pics that this socket location is abnormally close to the pcie slot.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Indeed. Compatible with internal PSU, hdplex plug, Distro 400. One of the slot is a USB C cutout.

For no GPU builds, isn't the Distro overkill? Don't you just need the direct plug pico unit?
Pardon me for asking, I'm just a bit confused.

Protools

Average Stuffer
Oct 10, 2018
Eager to have purchase one myself. Time to mod a meanwell. The wait for HDPLEX internal AC-DC is killing me :\

Last edited:
Reactions: Thehack