Completed Project PURE: 3L APU case, MEANWELL Support

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Interesting choice of moving the Meanwell to the opposite side for the next prototype. Does this make it easier to install SSD's?

An all satin black version would look nice. I'm also more curious about the XL version since I have attempted making a small case with an LP card but never got it into production.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Interesting choice of moving the Meanwell to the opposite side for the next prototype. Does this make it easier to install SSD's?

An all satin black version would look nice. I'm also more curious about the XL version since I have attempted making a small case with an LP card but never got it into production.

This so you can install the meanwell with the bottom unvented side facing outwards.

The xl version would be simply just expanded enough to fit a LP gpu and an internal psu. It should be able to fit a 400W meanwell so you can really go ham on the cpu performance.

It is quite surprising no one designed and produced an LP chassis in the last couple years.

Reactions: nyxtom

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This so you can install the meanwell with the bottom unvented side facing outwards.

The xl version would be simply just expanded enough to fit a LP gpu and an internal psu. It should be able to fit a 400W meanwell so you can really go ham on the cpu performance.

It is quite surprising no one designed and produced an LP chassis in the last couple years.

Mainly because those that know how (like me for example, I was going to make one) don't want to steal @Lone's IP....
Maybe I should have asked. XD

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Other than Lone Industries I haven't seen other LP cases around here. But I don't know if @Thehack's case will orient the LP card sideways with a riser cable, or plugged in directly to the mobo like the Lone cases.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Mainly because those that know how (like me for example, I was going to make one) don't want to steal @Lone's IP....
Maybe I should have asked. XD

As long as you're using a distinct design that's your own, I don't see the problem.

Mine will plug directly in the mobo, with a horizontal layout just like the PURE. This should allow me to meet price target. The L4 uses 3 panels which allows it to be set vertically and have good aesthetics. Mine is simpler and just uses 2 panels.

Reactions: Windfall

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Any updates? Looking to start buying the parts I'll need.

Prototype 2 is on the way. After I confirm the changes are good I can submit a small batch order. Manufacturing and shipping will take about 4 weeks, assuming there's no issue there.

Also, it is in matte black. The semi-matte finish looks great but I also wanted to see how good this company's matte black is and you guys can decide the final finish. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: shokwaav

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Any chance you can leave some space in the Pure XL to mount low profile 80mm fans (noiseblocker) next to the pcie slots so that low profile GPUs can get acceptable cooling?

shokwaav

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2018
I think I prefer the semi-matte. The matte appears a bit too dull looking.

How much do the fingerprints show on the semi-matte. It doesn't appear to be much of a fingerprint magnet in the first place.

Will we get to choose between different fronts?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I think I prefer the semi-matte. The matte appears a bit too dull looking.

How much do the fingerprints show on the semi-matte. It doesn't appear to be much of a fingerprint magnet in the first place.

Will we get to choose between different fronts?

Fingerprint wise it shows oil marks mostly. It is not as bad as black anodized like dancase.

It seems most people find the semi-matte finish more interesting, but I wanted to see how it looks with full matte.

For the panda type, it is really hard to get a perfect powder coated front. There are 4-5 tiny specks of black that appears. It may be available if buyers are wiling to be okay with that.