Completed Project PURE: 3L APU case, MEANWELL Support

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
Thank you for the replies. If you have the time, take this short survey to help me determine if there are changes that need to be made to the design:

https://******/forms/Uo5HSaxK80RNKjk93

It only takes a minute and your time is very appreciated!
I filled out the survey, but I'm not sure I'm the best judge in plugin units. Have you posted your thoughts on what your plugin in unit will look like in comparison to the ones listed? My here's my understanding and you can tell me how wrong I am:

- Mini-box 160XT: smallest, but ugliest
- HDPlex 160 DC-ATX: Bigger and prettier
- Kmpkt's is a reworked HDPlex (and the prettiest?)
- J-HACK's: ??

Whatever one is the smallest, prettiest, and doesn't compromise on features is the one I want ;)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I filled out the survey, but I'm not sure I'm the best judge in plugin units. Have you posted your thoughts on what your plugin in unit will look like in comparison to the ones listed? My here's my understanding and you can tell me how wrong I am:

- Mini-box 160XT: smallest, but ugliest
- HDPlex 160 DC-ATX: Bigger and prettier
- Kmpkt's is a reworked HDPlex (and the prettiest?)
- J-HACK's: ??

Whatever one is the smallest, prettiest, and doesn't compromise on features is the one I want ;)

Hey, thanks for completing the survey.

Mine will be most similar to the Mini-box 160XT in terms of features.

It'll be black PCB, with black wired connectors. It'll have one additional feature: SYNC. The sync features allow it to work with the Distro 400 and other solid state relays without any issues. Retail pricing will be cheaper than a mini-box 160XT.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hey, thanks for completing the survey.

Mine will be most similar to the Mini-box 160XT in terms of features.

It'll be black PCB, with black wired connectors. It'll have one additional feature: SYNC. The sync features allow it to work with the Distro 400 and other solid state relays without any issues. Retail pricing will be cheaper than a mini-box 160XT.

So a custom plugin dc_tax unit? Impressive.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So a custom plugin dc_tax unit? Impressive.

Not really custom but more like customized ;)

Thanks to those who took the survey.

It seems many people want to use a psu internally. It also seems that the hdplex 160 is very popular. This does mean I need to increase the size of the case to fit it. It also means that the power button needs to be moved to fit the hdplex 160 AC-DC. This does affect the aesthetics a bit but is necessary for their support.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Retail pricing will be cheaper than a mini-box 160XT.

Cheaper than the mini-box? Awesome, gives me a good reason to replace the so-so Realan power board I've been using and get back that valuable case space for my Mean Well.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Updating on HDPLEX 160 support:

The HDPLEX 160 AC-DC will not be supported. HDPLEX 160 Plugin DC-ATX will be supported.

The 160 AC-DC is just a bit too big and the included AC power entry module is very deep, at around 50mm not including wiring.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Updating on HDPLEX 160 support:

The HDPLEX 160 AC-DC will not be supported. HDPLEX 160 Plugin DC-ATX will be supported.

The 160 AC-DC is just a bit too big and the included AC power entry module is very deep, at around 50mm not including wiring.
See if there is room for two hdplex 80w acdc units. If it works, use a psu merger (kmpkt merge or mini box y power) for 160 w.

Regarding your plugin board, did you get mini box to do a custom one?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Maybe it could be possible to fit the 160 AC-DC if the metal shielding part from the power connector is removed? It's been done before with good results, but don't know how safe that is.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
See if there is room for two hdplex 80w acdc units. If it works, use a psu merger (kmpkt merge or mini box y power) for 160 w.

Regarding your plugin board, did you get mini box to do a custom one?

Mini box is a bunch of assholes.

The plugin unit I requested modification to picobox who makes them.

Maybe it could be possible to fit the 160 AC-DC if the metal shielding part from the power connector is removed? It's been done before with good results, but don't know how safe that is.

You can fit the 160 AC-DC if you use a fairly short 16mm switch and replace the power entry module with a right connector type. There is 50mm of total clearance to play with. A right angle power entry is about 25mm deep and most 16mm switches are around 20mm.

Since the 160 AC-DC has no mounting points on its side it'd be mounted via double sided tape.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Mini box is a bunch of assholes.

The plugin unit I requested modification to picobox who makes them.

You can fit the 160 AC-DC if you use a fairly short 16mm switch and replace the power entry module with a right connector type. There is 50mm of total clearance to play with. A right angle power entry is about 25mm deep and most 16mm switches are around 20mm.

Since the 160 AC-DC has no mounting points on its side it'd be mounted via double sided tape.

Okay, so picobox did the mods for you? Cool. Could I know any sort of idea as to how much they charge for that? Also, please see if two HDPLex 80W AC-DC units will fit.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Okay, so picobox did the mods for you? Cool. Could I know any sort of idea as to how much they charge for that? Also, please see if two HDPLex 80W AC-DC units will fit.

$250+ per customization.

Two hdplex will not fit. But a single 160w will fit with a different power entry.