Completed MK-1 (4.1L 3D Printed SFF) Now Available!

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Hey guys sorry for the long delay in updates... Unfortunately life has become crazy as it does every now and again. I do still plan to release this case but for now I am changing the status to stalled until I have the time again to devote to this project. This might not be the update some wanted to hear but rest assured that I will come back to the project.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
@Zackmd1 I know youve stalled this but would it be possible to request you upload the files you already have for those of us that would like to prototype your chassis? lots of us have has issues with our modminis and although I do like the aluminum enclosure from serg, I cant get any of it to fit together properly plus I do like the aesthetic of this case in horizontal orientation :)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
@Zackmd1 I know youve stalled this but would it be possible to request you upload the files you already have for those of us that would like to prototype your chassis? lots of us have has issues with our modminis and although I do like the aluminum enclosure from serg, I cant get any of it to fit together properly plus I do like the aesthetic of this case in horizontal orientation :)

Ok so I have decided to release MK-1. All files have been updated with the changes specified in previous posts. The 3D printed components will be for sale on shapeways while the laser cut components will be offered as a free download on Ponoko. Links will be provided in the original post.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
OP Updated with links and pricing information. Please let me know if you have any issues following links or downloading Ponoko Files.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Also, for the PCIE riser you might want to consider some small nylon or metal 4-40 washers totaling about 1/8” thick. The riser can be mounted without these but it will sit better with them. Optional accessory!

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Also, for the PCIE riser you might want to consider some small nylon or metal 4-40 washers totaling about 1/8” thick. The riser can be mounted without these but it will sit better with them. Optional accessory!
Do you think a 30cm riser would be too long? I've got the one that came with my modmini so if I could reuse that itd be ideal

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Do you think a 30cm riser would be too long? I've got the one that came with my modmini so if I could reuse that itd be ideal

I believe 30cm will be ok. 25cm is just barely enough with no slack so 30cm shouldn’t be to large. The biggest concern will be the mounting and if it is the same as the EZ DIY but it appears as though the risers follow a standard and it would be easy to modify the mounting plate if required. Do you plan on adding a 2.5” drive? If so I would suggest using Velcro or something similar to mount it to the bottom parameter panel or you can choose to drill mounting holes in the panel. There will be a cutout in the motherboard mounting plate that will only allow for 7mm thick drives to mount to the parameter panel. Best I could do for 2.5” drives.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I believe 30cm will be ok. 25cm is just barely enough with no slack so 30cm shouldn’t be to large. The biggest concern will be the mounting and if it is the same as the EZ DIY but it appears as though the risers follow a standard and it would be easy to modify the mounting plate if required. Do you plan on adding a 2.5” drive? If so I would suggest using Velcro or something similar to mount it to the bottom parameter panel or you can choose to drill mounting holes in the panel. There will be a cutout in the motherboard mounting plate that will only allow for 7mm thick drives to mount to the parameter panel. Best I could do for 2.5” drives.
Nah I only have an m.2 so

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I may edit the bottom panel to match the top since Im thinking about about probably laying it horizontal but I'm pretty stoked about this. Looks like everything should fit much easier than it does in the modmini.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
The panels should be very easy to modify in Inkscape. You can just select the top panel, copy it, remove one of the blank panels and replace it with the top panel and you will be good to go!

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I'll tell you what. What's difficult is trying to basically expand the vents and trying to center them on a panel. I'm trying to make the same complete vent pattern from the side panels on the top and bottom ones but I can't tell if shits centered or not. Lol

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I'll tell you what. What's difficult is trying to basically expand the vents and trying to center them on a panel. I'm trying to make the same complete vent pattern from the side panels on the top and bottom ones but I can't tell if shits centered or not. Lol

Haha well that type of complex modification might be more difficult!

denigrate

Efficiency Noob
Oct 11, 2017
Hi, this is looking really sick. Do you have any wattage issues running that 1060?

Is there any way you can release the 3D printing files? I would like to play around with some material.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Hi, this is looking really sick. Do you have any wattage issues running that 1060?

Is there any way you can release the 3D printing files? I would like to play around with some material.

Thanks for the comments! At this time though I am not ready to release the 3D files.

denigrate

Efficiency Noob
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for the comments! At this time though I am not ready to release the 3D files.
Understood, appreciate the hard work.

If we wanted to stretch this out a bit t fit a zotac 1080ti, could we just stretch the acrylic while using the same corners?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
You would have to stretch the top and bottom panels as well as the side panels and motherboard mounting but the 3D printed components will remain the same!