Completed MK-1 (4.1L 3D Printed SFF) Now Available!

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
This thread is dedicated to the air cooled variant of my case design, the MK-1. This case will be a combination of 3D printed components and laser cut acrylic panels. The benefit to this method of manufacturing is that the case will be highly customizable and should be more available then similar cases. No production batches and wait periods for this case! Customization will include different color options for the 3D printed components (white, black, red, blue, etc) and different color options for the Acrylic panels. 3D printed components will include the rear IO panel and rounded corners. Acrylic panels will include the side panels and parameter panels. Clear side panels will be an option during the ordering process.

Specifications:

Dimensions:

• 194.5mm x 194.5mm x 109mm (L*W*H)
  • 4.12L
  • Support for 16mm push button

Material:
  • HP Fusion Jet 3D Printed Nylon or SLS Nylon
  • 4.5mm Laser cut Acrylic

CPU support:

• 95 watt TDP

GPU support:

• Mini ITX dual slot with length <175mm
  • EZDIY 25cm riser card required

PSU:
  • Pico PSU or G-Unique PSU
  • G-Unique PSU power adapter

Storage:
  • One M.2 SSD (or more depending on motherboard)
  • One thin 7mm 2.5" HDD/SSD. 9mm 2.5” drives are NOT supported.

RAM:
  • Standard Height RAM recommended but extended heatsink RAM can be accommodated up to 40mm in height.

Cooling:
  • Zalman CNPS2X or Noctua L9

Pricing and Ordering:

Renders and Production Photos:

Last edited:

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
The prototype has been ordered! I will be updating this thread when it arrives and providing performance data!

My prototype rig will consist of:

Biostar X370GTN
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
16gb DDR4 HyperX ram
Pico PSU with Dell DA-2 external power supply
Zalman CNPS2X Cooler (modified for am4 support)
Zotac GTX1060 Mini 6GB

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
rough :/

Did it break while you were installing it?

Unfortunately yes.... The mounting points for the brackets are not threaded when you receive the cooler (something I was unaware of) and the screws they provide can't create their own threads. I was attempting to tap each hole when that happened. The cooler is some kind of pot metal and just coated with copper. The heat pipe seems to be the only thing copper. After that happened I attempted to purchase the Noctua L9a with AM4 brackets but the AM4 brackets seem to be unavailable at the moment.... So now it seems like I have to come up with something unique if I want a CPU cooler...

Reactions: Biowarejak

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
The acrylic panels have arrived! This is my second order from Ponoko and am so far very pleased with the quality of both the material and cut! I am hoping that my 3D panels will arrive by the end of the week which should allow me to have a fully functional prototype by this weekend if all goes well!

Also! A size comparison with a 2011 unibody Mac Mini ( you can probably tell what inspired much of the design of this case ).

As you can see the case is slightly smaller then the Mac Mini in terms of footprint! MK-1 will be about 3x as thick though in order to support the dual slot GPU and a decent CPU cooler.

Last edited:

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
The acrylic panels have arrived! This is my second order from Ponoko and am so far very pleased with the quality of both the material and cut! I am hoping that my 3D panels will arrive by the end of the week which should allow me to have a fully functional prototype by this weekend if all goes well!

Also! A size comparison with a 2011 unibody Mac Mini ( you can probably tell what inspired much of the design of this case ).

As you can see the case is slightly smaller then the Mac Mini in terms of footprint! MK-1 will be about 3x as thick though in order to support the dual slot GPU and a decent CPU cooler.

PS: Let me know if you are having issues viewing the pictures as I am trying something different to embed the pics.
The pics are broken :(

Reactions: cmyk78

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Shapeways came through! MK-1 parts have shipped and I should receive them Friday! Also, any bets on if this is going to be effective? Dynatron solid copper heatsink and Noctua slim 92mm fan. Total height 27mm.

K199 it seems. I am really corious how whould it work.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
The most effective area of the fan isn't covering the heatsink (the outer edges). An 80mm fan might perform a little better but I'd be very curious to see how this setup performs!

That is my assumption as well but I was unable to find a thin 80mm PWM fan. The 92mm fan was a compromise and will actually have to be slightly modified in order to support AM4 mounting. If anyone has an idea of where to find a PWM 80x14mm fan I would be more then interested in trying it out!

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Correct. I had it lying around from an old project. I couldn't stand the fan noise in its original form so I'm hoping to solve that with the thin fan. I also hope that this will provide more airflow over the fins as compared to the stock fan.
Can you test temps with the old fan vs noctua?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I could probably print a low profile shroud / mounting adapter for you but I have a lot of unpacking to do and it would be good to get the data in the improvised configuration anyhow :)

Reactions: AleksandarK

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah, no worries. Sorry I'm on mobile (and cooking my inagural meal at my apartment!) so I can't check it rn :)

Reactions: AleksandarK