The following is my build:

Motherboard: asus rog strix z270i gaming
CPU: i7-7700k
GPU: MSI Aero GTX 1060 6G
PSU: SFX Corsair 450W
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S
SSD: 512gb Samsung 960 Pro

Some random thoughts on the project:
  • First of all print all structural part with a very good infill. The motherboard support and the frames especially at least 50%. The PSU rig is very sturdy you shouldn't need more than 30% infill.
  • Do not force the threaded inserts into the corners, use a soldering iron to squeeze them in.
  • The case could be probably 10mm smaller on the X. With a different CPU cooler you can probably also remove 10mm on the Z.
  • A smaller cooler would be wiser, I will have to place some holes on the backpanel for the overhanging heat pipes
  • The case is very sturdy despite the huge cooler it doesn't feel flimsy at all
  • I'm going to cut out the IO ports directly on the back panel. That way I can put the motherboard and the GPU very close to the frame. If you intend to use the original backplates you may need to change some dimensions
  • Designing the side panels is a pain. Take very accurate measurements once the whole frame is printed because the side panel could be off by 1-2mm
  • You can technically fit a standard size GPU
Jump to the second post for 3d models and printing suggestions.

Last edited:

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
I made some updates to the corners and the frames so they now fit regular M2.5 nuts (I was using very low profile nuts before). If you downloaded and/or printed the previous version you probably have to use M2 screws/nuts. The onshape model is already updated.

ElinaNguyen

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2016
Can you create another cage for ATX PSU? Because some people don't have SFX PSU. That can make the case more diverse and can fit the 240-250mm graphics card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Can you create another cage for ATX PSU? Because some people don't have SFX PSU. That can make the case more diverse and can fit the 240-250mm graphics card.

That is totally feasible, but the case would be very close to a Kolink Satellite or Antec ISK-600 (if not a little bigger). Anyway I had an idea for an even better solution for 3d printed case, so stay tuned! :)

TheOfficialCzex

Trash Compacter
Mar 6, 2017
The Folger Technologies LLC. FT-5 has a print volume of 300mm*300mm*400mm for under 500 USD if you're looking for a larger printer. Alternatively, I personally own one if you need any larger parts printed. Feel free to ask!

sorbet

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 4, 2017
Coming out of lurking to thank @matt3o for sharing his awesome work here, and to offer a thought:

Could the frame be widened to fit mATX? I'm thinking 5 slots to allow for aircooled dual GPUs, maybe a fan mount next to the PSU to blow between/though the cards and create positive pressure.

I've been researching dual GPU builds for a multiheaded PC, and I'm not finding anything that offers the combination of sff + viable aircooling (silence at idle) + dual GPU. Seems to me a mATX version of this layout might be optimal for that combo (but I might be missing something; I'm no designer).

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Coming out of lurking to thank @matt3o for sharing his awesome work here, and to offer a thought:

Could the frame be widened to fit mATX? I'm thinking 5 slots to allow for aircooled dual GPUs, maybe a fan mount next to the PSU to blow between/though the cards and create positive pressure.

I've been researching dual GPU builds for a multiheaded PC, and I'm not finding anything that offers the combination of sff + viable aircooling (silence at idle) + dual GPU. Seems to me a mATX version of this layout might be optimal for that combo (but I might be missing something; I'm no designer).
Certainly mATX if you don't want to deal with bifurcation risers :)

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
The Folger Technologies LLC. FT-5 has a print volume of 300mm*300mm*400mm for under 500 USD if you're looking for a larger printer. Alternatively, I personally own one if you need any larger parts printed. Feel free to ask!

thanks for the heads up on the FT-5, I didn't know it. There are a couple of consumer grade "big" 3d printers but they are not widely diffused so I'm trying to keep it under approx 200mm

well that would be quite a big case and it would require ages to print...

Anyway stay tuned because I'm working on a new system to 3d print a PC case and I'm already in love with it :) No threaded inserts needed. No laser cut sides, only 3M screws and nuts, each piece still under 200x230mm. Sneak preview