Concept MK-2 (Sub 6L Watercooled SFF)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Even in the noise dept. I'm sceptical.. But I won't bash other reasons, being aesthetics and "the hell of it" - this I can get behind :)
Well, for noise, even with small fans you can rely on the much greater heat capacity of the water to carry your through whatever workload you're in before the fans need to ramp up :)

-edit-

Glad the other reasons held some merit for you though!

Last edited:

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Check out this video of the Digital Storm AIO.

If you look closely, it seems as though the AIO is using a small custom radiator. Just from context clues and looking at the overall size compared to the standard mini itx, it looks as though it is around the dual 60mm mark but not larger then a dual 80mm. In the video this liquid cooler is capable of keeping an 95 watt TDP processor in the low 60s under load. This is the goal of MK-2. Not to provide ice cold temperatures, but to provide enough cooling to operate a 95 watt TDP processor (or possibly higher) in a SFF that would typically see CPU temps in the 90s if using a low profile air cooler.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
MK-2 in its near final form. The vent design is likely going to change once I can figure out a more efficient design that won't cost a fortune to laser cut.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm guessing that MK-2 has been stalled indefinitely, at least with the new rounded corner case. Given that you're busy with other projects. But I still really like the prototype that you built and it's got me inspired to try SFF watercooling again.

I actually like the very first concept a bit more, the one that had support for single slot cards only. I can see myself putting an extreme (for its size) system and I plan to use off the shelf parts to cool it. If you don't mind I'd like to borrow that layout but with a few modifications, moreso the case will have a different exterior than anything else.

Reactions: owliwar and Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I'm guessing that MK-2 has been stalled indefinitely, at least with the new rounded corner case. Given that you're busy with other projects. But I still really like the prototype that you built and it's got me inspired to try SFF watercooling again.

I actually like the very first concept a bit more, the one that had support for single slot cards only. I can see myself putting an extreme (for its size) system and I plan to use off the shelf parts to cool it. If you don't mind I'd like to borrow that layout but with a few modifications, moreso the case will have a different exterior than anything else.

You most certainly can use the layout! The one key thing I would advise you do is look into your coolant tube size... I found that even the smallest standard tube size was too big for an SFF layout....

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You most certainly can use the layout! The one key thing I would advise you do is look into your coolant tube size... I found that even the smallest standard tube size was too big for an SFF layout....
I mean I made 12mm OD work in an S4M-C, so there's that :) there's also plenty of small OD softline tubing around, and fittings too.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I'm also using 1/4" ID hoses in both my Neutrino and Adibou builds ; I think they are the perfect balance between size and performance.

2 years ago, I've been working on a very similar layout into a Streacom F7C case, using a slim dual 92 mm radiator from Asetek.

Seeing your stunning work, I want to give this project an other shot, this time with a 180 mm radiator at the back of the motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm gonna go with tubing smaller than 3/4 OD that's for sure XD That's what I used in the Jonsbo U2 that I once had and things got cramped pretty quickly.

Going with hardline tube gives you more control of the routing, although I never worked with it before...

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'm gonna go with tubing smaller than 3/4 OD that's for sure XD That's what I used in the Jonsbo U2 that I once had and things got cramped pretty quickly.

Going with hardline tube gives you more control of the routing, although I never worked with it before...
It's worthwhile in my opinion :)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I don't know yet if I'd want to bend hard tube for my first hard tube build, or just cut straight pieces and use more fittings (I like fittings though, they can make the insides look more shiny).

What I do know is a dual 92mm rad is not out of the question so it's all a matter of how thick the radiator will be which ultimately determines the case's thickness. Alphacool's dual 92mm rad is available in a 45mm thickness but there's this bad boy, the Black Ice Nemesis M184 GTX which is a whopping 54mm thick. Fans will be standards 25mm thickness in either case.

I will have to make my own thread once I really start getting things underway with buying parts and setting out to make the case.

Reactions: owliwar

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
By the way how hard was it to disassemble the Asetek pump and put your own tubes and fittings on there? I might just plan to get this just because they're cheap in the used market, the pump integration, and saves a lot of room for the res.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
By the way how hard was it to disassemble the Asetek pump and put your own tubes and fittings on there? I might just plan to get this just because they're cheap in the used market, the pump integration, and saves a lot of room for the res.

It was not difficult at all to pull the OEM tubes off (cut the plastic sleeve and remove). The problem I had was that I could never get a good seal with my own tubing.... Would always end up having a small leak.

Reactions: owliwar