Completed Corners and frames for 3D printer

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
New version just out of the press.

it's notably smaller than the previous one (in the background) but I think we can do even better. More in the coming days.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
I managed to reduce the corner to a 20x20mm cube (excluding the external ridge). Any smaller than that and I'd need to also reduce the screw size (now M2.5 and M3... we would need to go all M2).

Now finally working on the full frame.

Here you can see it in proportion with a mini-itx. I've also added the "slanted" corner, not because it's cool but because it spares me some printing time (and plastic). I believe the smallest width you can do with a GPU is around 230mm, approx a couple cm more compared to bending metal I guess.

I now have to develop a system of supports for the components.

I'm also checking the nuts vs inserts thing.

As of now we don't have room for an M3 nut (pictured above) but M2.5 should be fine.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Current status

Everything is in place, I just miss the SFX PSU cage and I can print!

The case I'm planning (basically a smaller Kolink Satellite) could end up in the 250x250x200 range which is actually smaller than I thought it would be (the Kolink is 260x280x190)

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
uuuuu yes yes, the Kolink Satellite is one of my favorite layouts, and the height size was one of my complaints with it.
But I would make it just as long as the kolink so you can fit regular gpus and make it 150-170mm in height. An NH-U9S would be perfect for aircooling such a case.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
But I would make it just as long as the kolink so you can fit regular gpus and make it 150-170mm in height. An NH-U9S would be perfect for aircooling such a case.

well the good thing about this system is that it's highly customizable, just make the side frame longer and you can fit bigger GPU or shorter if you don't want GPU at all.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Everything is in place!

Parts that are not in the pictures are simply replicas of what I already have.

The case above will be 251x251x179mm which is way smaller than I thought it would be and possibly I can shrink it a little on all sides. The widest single part is 200mm, making this modular system friendly with any consumer 3d printer.

It is now printing the corners, I'm still trying to find the best/fastest way to print them (orientation, resolution, etc...)

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Nice to see it is getting quite smaller.
Is the 251x251 just to keep the square look? or are you looking to fit in a a 120 radiator/or beefy cooler on the side.

Reactions: Biowarejak

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Nice to see it is getting quite smaller.
Is the 251x251 just to keep the square look? or are you looking to fit in a a 120 radiator/or beefy cooler on the side.

it's basically 170+65 (motherboard+psu) on one side and 170+45 (motherboard+GPU) on the other. So 235x215 + some room that is taken by the corners + some room I'm keeping for cable management. Height is 100 for the PSU + 60 for cable management (above and below) + space taken by the corners.

As you can see there's no room for a radiator :) but the CPU cooler will be pretty tall. Anyway I should be able to shave a few mm here and there and possibly go in the 245x235x165 range

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
it's basically 170+65 (motherboard+psu) on one side and 170+45 (motherboard+GPU) on the other. So 235x215 + some room that is taken by the corners + some room I'm keeping for cable management. Height is 100 for the PSU + 60 for cable management (above and below) + space taken by the corners.

As you can see there's no room for a radiator :) but the CPU cooler will be pretty tall. Anyway I should be able to shave a few mm here and there and possibly go in the 245x235x165 range
Sounds about right.
At this point it is a shorter but slightly wider sg13 with the layout of a kolink satellite. Ergo 0 compromise air cooling with space savings from short GPus. A very nifty lovely and practical cube. Keep up the good work.

A funny concept would be to go for a beefy top down blower but have the case be upside down so it pulls the cool air from the bottom. But a way to reinforce the heat sink so it doesn't stress the mono would be needed.

Last edited:

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Old design vs new design. Very low res printing just for testing. They are adorable :) A tiny cube of 22x22x22mm. The brass inserts fit wonderfully. Now I just have to print x8 of them in hi-res.

I tried to print the corners in every orientation possible and the best is to just lay one side on the printbed. I can't make the piece stick to the bed in the "tripod" position (even with tons of supports) and with the slant-corner on the bed I get 45° overhang which is too steep (plastic doesn't cool down quick enough).

I haven't really optimized it for Shapeways, but 1 piece seems to cost about €4 / $5 with the cheapest material.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
How did I miss all those updates? Great progess!

I tried to print the corners in every orientation possible and the best is to just lay one side on the printbed. I can't make the piece stick to the bed in the "tripod" position (even with tons of supports) and with the slant-corner on the bed I get 45° overhang which is too steep (plastic doesn't cool down quick enough).

Aww that's too bad, even with a brim? Couldn't you slant the corners the piece is standing on to give it more surface area? There's no functional reason for the big fillet you have there right now, and that causes the piece to only have a single point to rest on (in theory).

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
It's coming together!

I had to do various small updates to the design, but it is coming along! Despite being PLA it is a very strong structure and the case is relly small :) I hope everything will fit. I'm debating with myself if I should reprint everything in PET, but I think I will just epoxy everything out.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Very cool! It just occurred to me that you could actually just upload the beams as parametric models and thus make it super easy to print a case of pretty much any size.

that would be totally my intention, but it would need some rework because going back and forth in the design made the model pretty messy and not really that much parametric anymore :p

When final I'll post the 3d models and all the details/measurements, if there's a real interest I can surely rebuild all the models to make them 100% parametric.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Okay the corner is finalized. The following picture should be all you need to recreate it. The 3D model is also available here.

The archive contains two versions, one with the rounded corners above and one with cut-corners to be printed in "tripod" position on filament 3d printers.

I had no issues in both PLA and ABS at 0.2mm layer height. The corner is too detailed for PET and I couldn't get a good quality print in that material but I haven't tried very hard.

This is a picture of the corner in ABS.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Lovely! Another thought: For small enclosures (RasPi, mSTX), one could use these corners without the structural bar. Might look cool as well.

I guess the print worked without any supports?

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
one could use these corners without the structural bar. Might look cool as well.

yeah that is probably not really needed even for bigger cases, but you know, better safe than sorry.

I guess the print worked without any supports?

it prints without support, but I suggest to add some anyway for higher quality print. It is true that the ugly parts are all in the inside (so not visible when the case is closed), but still...