Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The case won't prevent use of the bottom fan, that'd be up to the motherboard VRM heatsinks and the RAM height.

mirshko

Caliper Novice
Onshape
Sep 22, 2015
onshape.com
I was more concerned with the top fan height. However I am wondering if water cooling worth it. What fan are you using on the radiator? I'm guessing its in push config?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Top fan should fit just fine.

I'm using a single Noctua Industrial 140mm because I'm a sucker for Noctua but the stock fans would probably perform well. I actually run it in a pull config with the fan on the inside to give more room for the tubing.

mirshko

Caliper Novice
Onshape
Sep 22, 2015
onshape.com
I'm using a single Noctua Industrial 140mm because I'm a sucker for Noctua but the stock fans would probably perform well. I actually run it in a pull config with the fan on the inside to give more room for the tubing.

Huh, interesting, by inside Im guessing you mean the fan is mounted to the swing out panel not the radiator? or vice versa.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Huh, interesting, by inside Im guessing you mean the fan is mounted to the swing out panel not the radiator? or vice versa.
Fan bracket > Radiator > Fan
This gives you an extra 25mm when using normal fans.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It could but it'd be a tight fit. So that'd have the H100i on the front and the video card's rad + 3.5" HDD on the bottom. There's no place for that 92mm fan though.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Yes, I was planning for the rad to be in the front and bottom. Would you recommend any changes?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you just want that Crucial M.2 drive to save space that's fine, but it's no faster than the 2.5" version.

If you want good fan control then a Gigabyte board is not a good choice. Other than that it looks good.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Well the M.2 slots are a new tech for me, so if I'm not going to see any gains I can switch that out for a 2.5. Which motherboards would you recommend? This is my first desktop build so I'm unfamiliar with which brands to trust. I'm definitely going to be overclocking; however, I won't really need anything more than a 2 hdd's and 1-2 ssd's in the long run.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
My main issue with Gigabyte boards is the lackluster fan control, if that doesn't bother you than it should be solid otherwise.

The MSI Z170M Mortar is a good looking board but it doesn't support M.2 SSDs.

The ASUS Z170M-PLUS and ASRock Z170M Extreme4 look like good options too.

VirtualVoid

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2015
I'm also leaning towards buying the gigabyte board for a few main reasons:

1) The Samsung 950 Pro SSD has issues with thermal throttling if it doesn't receive enough airflow, which I expect would be a problem with motherboards where the m.2 slot will be essentially hidden under a videocard heatsink. Both the Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5 and the ASUS Z170M-PLUS have the m.2 slot up near the CPU heatsink area where it could have good airflow.

2) I'm planning to use SLI, so the Z170M-PLUS is a no-go. Other boards that support SLI (ie ASUS GENE, ASRock Extreme4) have their m.2 slots between the video card slots. AFAIK the Z170MX-Gaming 5 is the only board that fits these two criteria.

3) The gigabyte board uses Intel's Alpine Ridge controller for USB 3.1 Type-C ports. Most other boards use the ASMedia ASM1142 chip. Technically, the alpine ridge controller can also support Thunderbolt 3. You won't see any marketing for thunderbolt 3 on the Z170MX-Gaming 5, but Gigabyte's Full-ATX Z170 boards recently received Thunderbolt 3 certification despite being released a while ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the motherboards with Alpine Ridge controllers are eventually certified too.

The biggest downside that I can see with the Z170MX-Gaming 5 is the Killer NIC, which has a reputation for being unreliable. Hopefully I'll be able to replace the Killer drivers/software with the basic Qualcomm drivers and avoid that.

I wasn't aware gigabyte had lackluster fan control, could you elaborate on what's wrong with it?

Winebaths

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2015
Just joined so I could post in here, wanted to say this is looking fantastic and hope to see this on my desk sometime soon :)

One question though, would the use of a 240mm rad + ATX make the possibility of dual gpus impossible? I'm guessing it will which would be kinda unfortunate for me. Anyways, I saw that the handle was being revised. Will the original aluminum handle from the beta be an option as well or will only the new one be available? Thanks!

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I wasn't aware gigabyte had lackluster fan control, could you elaborate on what's wrong with it?
The available configuration options are extremely bare-bones, e.g. the fan speed 'curve' has two setting points (a minimum speed and a maximum speed, with a linear ramp between them), with limited options as to what temperature sensor can control which fan. Many newer boards also have issues with speedfan making it more difficult to apply a more intelligent fan profile.

Reactions: jtd871

VirtualVoid

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2015
The available configuration options are extremely bare-bones, e.g. the fan speed 'curve' has two setting points (a minimum speed and a maximum speed, with a linear ramp between them), with limited options as to what temperature sensor can control which fan. Many newer boards also have issues with speedfan making it more difficult to apply a more intelligent fan profile.
Thanks!

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I bought the Gene. I'm glad I went with it over the Gigabyte, despite the location of the M.2. I'll take Intel's nics over Killer any day, and there's no guarantee the Gigabyte board will receive the TB3 treatment. I may not even use the M.2 in lieu of an Intel 750 PCI-E in the future.

The superiour fan control, unsurpassed UEFI implementation, and flexibility of the AI Suite 3 software to allow per profile/application based overclocks were additional pluses for me. Hell, a majority of what AI Suite 3 can do is now possible directly within the UEFI now, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.