Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
At the risk of jinxing myself it should be within the next few months. So before spring unless things go horribly wrong.

FriendofNova

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 25, 2015
At the risk of jinxing myself it should be within the next few months. So before spring unless things go horribly wrong.

Thanks. as long as the project is not going to be abandoned. i have the time now after deciding to wait on Zen & the 400-Series

mirshko

Caliper Novice
Onshape
Sep 22, 2015
onshape.com
Wondering, is the spec list on the website going to be the final version? In terms of fan capacity / drives / etc.

Additionally, I'm looking for a nice high-quality quiet SFX psu for this rig. Something that can handle a 980 ti when I eventually upgrade to it. How good is this power supply?

Additionally I was looking at the Corsair SF600, but that won't be out until Q1 2016, although neither will this case so probably not the end of the world to wait.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The specs on the website are not final.

The SX600-G would certainly power a 980Ti, but I wouldn't consider it quiet. The fan is rather loud to me, but noise level is extremely subjective so you may find it acceptable.

The Corsair looks promising with a 92mm fan as does the upcoming SilverStone SX700-LPT (SFX-L though) if its more sophisticated fan control system lives up to the hype.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oops, thought I had replied. The only issue with SFX-L is that the modular connectors will be pretty close to the back of a card in the top PCIe slot. Not as bad as trying to fit a SFX-L PSU in the M1 though.

Suryc

Efficiency Noob
Nov 30, 2015
Hey, I'm super excited about this project and plan on getting this case when it becomes available.

I have an ATX supply that I really want to use for the build. I'm planning on a pretty powerful build and would like to reuse some parts that I already have. I've read that ATX mounting is possible, but restricts CPU cooler height. I'm wondering what that looks like: will the power supply be hanging in front of the CPU? I'm planning on watercooling with external radiators, so if I can fit a water block in there I should be good, but I thought I'd ask.

Can you give me some idea of what things will look like with an ATX supply in there? Will the CPU be covered when viewed from the side panel? What orientation will the supply have?

Thanks for your help, looking forward to the case!

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
Random question, what case feet are you using? I want to use something similar for my personal case.

-Jeffinslaw

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Brilliant. MATX efficiency at its finest. You had me at the swing-out fan bracket.

I'm not harping on your design, but I seriously would like to order one, and I am wondering if it is at all possible to get it with the power aperture anywhere but on the front? Maybe the top? Back?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Can you give me some idea of what things will look like with an ATX supply in there? Will the CPU be covered when viewed from the side panel? What orientation will the supply have?

It's similar to the pic in the link VirtualVoid posted, though instead of an internal bracket the ATX PSU would mount directly to the frame.

and I am wondering if it is at all possible to get it with the power aperture anywhere but on the front? Maybe the top? Back?

That may be entirely possible ;)

mirshko

Caliper Novice
Onshape
Sep 22, 2015
onshape.com
I'm wondering if there is a recommended Air cooler for this rig. I purchased the Z170 Gene and a i7-6700K and would like to overclock it a bit, but I'd still like it to keep cool. @Aibohphobia do you have any recommendations? Or would you suggest a water cooling system (if so what one).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
A top-down cooler 140mm or shorter including fan would be ideal. That way the heatsink is pressed up close to the side bracket. The Noctua C14 (not the new C14S) is a good candidate. The Phanteks PH-TC14CS and BeQuiet Dark Rock TF look like good choices too.

For water cooling, I use a NZXT X41 with a single fan. The main thing to look for in an AIO is flexible tubing and a shortish block with pivotable fittings if using a thick rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.