Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I'll be waiting a few months minimum after SX700-LPT release to see user feedback on the PSU. I made this mistake with the SX600-G unfortunately. The delays for "fine turning" give me pause, as the SX600-G was delayed for the same reason, and you may recall these old posts indicating they were taking the SX500-LG more seriously, but we know how that turned out.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah it didn't surprise me in the least they also delayed this PSU. I'm curious if the 4th time is the charm.

HYPERBOLOCO

Trash Compacter
Sep 27, 2015
Hi

I've been quite interested in the nova as Im going to be traveling next year and need a small case but can't afford a full ITX rebuild without loosing a lot of performance.

Is the ATX PSU compatibility still planned? I'm already running the 1000W Silverstone you were testing and need it for crossfire.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
ATX PSU support is still planned.

And welcome to the forum!

Shawn Faherty

Caliper Novice
Sep 19, 2015
I'll be waiting a few months minimum after SX700-LPT release to see user feedback on the PSU. I made this mistake with the SX600-G unfortunately. The delays for "fine turning" give me pause, as the SX600-G was delayed for the same reason, and you may recall these old posts indicating they were taking the SX500-LG more seriously, but we know how that turned out.
So which Silverstone is the most stable? I read some bad reviews, maybe they are just duds? But these bad units where burning out their other components. I really don't want to experience that. Correct me if I'm wrong: This REDACTED case will fit full size PSUs?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong: This REDACTED case will fit full size PSUs?

Yes, we will provide the option to install ATX power supplies. Note that they'll be rear-mounted, however - so you have the entire front of the case opened up, but you also block most of the side bracket, and impose a significant height restriction on any CPU coolers.

Reactions: HYPERBOLOCO

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Will a new this new Asus card fit in the case?
Both the Fury & 390 are same size..seems sorta long with 3 fans.

Based on the specs page ASUS has up, the length won't be an issue at all. (That's true of practically all cards at this point)

The width is a closer call - if the specs page is referencing the width of the entire card (heatsink and all), then it should fit, if not cozily. However, it is sometimes the case that the stated dimensions are of the PCB, not the whole - and if that's the case it may be a bit too wide, both at the power plugs, and overall. I'm not sure if ASUS consistently measures one way or the other.

skukza

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
If its likely to be the end of the year, I'm going to pull the trigger on a new build in the damn uglyist mAtx case I can find so I'm not tempted to leave it in that case when the REDACTED gets announced!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You could try calling local computer shops and they probably have an old computer they're just going to toss out anyway that you could take off their hands for free.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I can't believe we've devolved this thread from the madness-inducing teasers to the ugliest mATX case on the planet.

About those teasers, whassup guys ?!

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Since it is powder-coated, you probably could get it in beige for a modest premium.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I can't believe we've devolved this thread from the madness-inducing teasers to the ugliest mATX case on the planet.

About those teasers, whassup guys ?!
Agreed. Come on guys, show off those awesome cases :D

We're working on that ;)

It brings up an important question.

Will this case come in beige?

Nope. Maybe we can do a retro version eventually :p

Since it is powder-coated, you probably could get it in beige for a modest premium.

There are MOQ constraints with respect to colors, or even the absence of paint (i.e a bare case), that we have to follow. If the crowdfunding campaign goes gangbusters, we may have more flexibility in terms of what can be offered, but we've already inspected and selected any and all colors we're hoping to use, for the most part.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
So basically you are saying if there is an MOQ of lets say 25 per color (or bare), you are saying: "Phuncz, if you want bare metal version, you should prepare to buy 24 extra cases" ? Oh well, I guess I could always build a fort out of them !

j/k ofcourse. I want Habanero red.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
There are MOQ constraints with respect to colors, or even the absence of paint (i.e a bare case), that we have to follow. If the crowdfunding campaign goes gangbusters, we may have more flexibility in terms of what can be offered, but we've already inspected and selected any and all colors we're hoping to use, for the most part.

Maybe strawpoll a bare case option for those who would be willing to send theirs out to be powder-coated (locally to them) after receipt?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So basically you are saying if there is an MOQ of lets say 25 per color (or bare), you are saying: "Phuncz, if you want bare metal version, you should prepare to buy 24 extra cases"

It's more that, if we offer a color, we have to be confident that the total number of ordered cases is large enough that we can reasonably expect for orders to fulfill MOQ for every color. We're not likely to impose quantity restrictions of any sort on anyone, as handling that is something we really ought to be doing anyway. But the difference for each additional color is profound: If MOQ is 10 and we are expecting 40 orders, we can reasonably provide two colors. Three... not so much, especially since the data we've seen suggest that there are a few very popular colors, with the rest seeing much less demand.

Also, bear in mind that MOQ isn't the only challenge, either. We also have to add SKU's and manage a more complex/diverse population of orders, and a single additional variation in a list of options has a multiplying effect that grows very quickly. There are many little things that have to be considered for stuff like this.

Maybe strawpoll a bare case option for those who would be willing to send theirs out to be powder-coated (locally to them) after receipt?

Perhaps, after we announce things in the not-so-distant future. It could be a good stretch goal, to have that as an option. But as much as I want to provide the choice, we just can't promise anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.