Diesel Engine (ITX / SFF / Console) - COMPLETE!

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Diesel Engine
Jan 17, 2016
Woah - Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate the support / feedback. I'm still not sure which is my favourite :)

Dimensions - with the case feet, the black + Antique ones are at about: H - 67mm, L - 412mm, D - 206mm. The modern one is 6mm shorter in height.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Awesome news that you are sharing the fruits of your labour with others, well done ! Love that Antique Edition !

Reactions: Chris Howell

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
55mm, L - 412mm, D - 206mm. The modern one is 6mm shorter inheight.

Damn that's slim. Are you sure those measurements are correct? Because 49mm outer height is impossible to achieve, the ATX I/O shield itself is 49.53mm tall.

Just noticed, the USB cables look like they are pretty damn close to the GPU. Have you tested the case with any GPU other than the Nano? Because it looks like no other card will fit there unless the USB ports are removed.

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Diesel Engine
Jan 17, 2016
Damn that's slim. Are you sure those measurements are correct? Because 49mm outer height is impossible to achieve, the ATX I/O shield itself is 49.53mm tall.

Sorry yeah - you are actually right ( i was at work earlier today and didn't have the console in front of me) the height is 67mm (50mm internal height + lid + base + feet). Let me update my post.

Reactions: iFreilicht

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Diesel Engine
Jan 17, 2016
Hey - I haven't tested other graphics cards yet. The Nano is about 150mm and the fit is pretty tight. I think you could go up to about 170-180mm, but yeah, you'd have to make some changes to that corner.

Kenji

Chassis Packer
Jul 9, 2016
Maaaan the case looks great and would finally help me get rid of my crappy notebook >< But the R9 Nano is a bit over my budget :( I would rather go for a mini 1060 but that has yet to be confirmed to fit D:

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Diesel Engine
Jan 17, 2016

Diesel Engine v2 Update

Hey - A small update. After finishing the case I wanted to expand the support for different hardware in the case, specifically for the graphics card. Many people asked me about whether I had tried nVidia cards and expressed indifference towards the expensive AMD R9 Nano. After a short time, I redesigned the front of the case, scrapping the front USB ports and freeing up another 3-5cm of space for the graphics card. This also meant I was able to use a single piece of brushed aluminium to wrap around the entirety of the front of the case.

After installing a Zotac GTX 1060 mini, I've been playing Forza Horizon 3 happily for a couple of months in my living room - and absolutely loving it. It sits next to my consoles, the only difference is that I can crank those graphical settings right up! Loves it.

The revised case is now back up for sale on eBay @ £99. Updated pics below...

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

Diesel Engine v2 Update

Hey - A small update. After finishing the case I wanted to expand the support for different hardware in the case, specifically for the graphics card. Many people asked me about whether I had tried nVidia cards and expressed indifference towards the expensive AMD R9 Nano. After a short time, I redesigned the front of the case, scrapping the front USB ports and freeing up another 3-5cm of space for the graphics card. This also meant I was able to use a single piece of brushed aluminium to wrap around the entirety of the front of the case.

After installing a Zotac GTX 1060 mini, I've been playing Forza Horizon 3 happily for a couple of months in my living room - and absolutely loving it. It sits next to my consoles, the only difference is that I can crank those graphical settings right up! Loves it.

The revised case is now back up for sale on eBay @ £99. Updated pics below...

Looks awesome! Is it possible to remove the FlexATX and use a PicoPSU, and to then put a 3.5" HDD in that spot?

What would shipping to the US be?

Reactions: ricochet

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Diesel Engine
Jan 17, 2016
That space is only 85mm wide, so you wouldn't be able to fit a 3.5" drive in there, sorry. (those drives are about 106mm wide). Tracked postage to the US is currently working out as about £20 (I shipped a couple there recently).

LucasTheRed

Chassis Packer
Apr 30, 2016
As you can see, there are no flanges on it, and the panels he is using are non-conductive. So the I/O shield can touch the top panel, and the stand-off height can be reduced to 5mm or even shorter.

Ahhh, ok. Is there any reason that the top panel couldn't touch the I/O shield even if it is conductive?