Stalled Slim console-style case from Velkase. Looking for tester and reader feedback.

neiru37

Chassis Packer
Feb 29, 2020
4090 FE Test Fit!

First impressions:

- Good build quality as always
- As a Velka 5 and 7 owner, lots of familiar design elements making it easier to take apart and disassemble
- Removable top and bottom panel (vs one giant C shaped outer shell from the Velka series) makes it easy to access those parts for like plugging/unplugging stuff from the mobo, for example
- Nice to have options on how to mount the C13 power plug
- Prefer the simpler design of the bar feet. The oval feet makes it feel like an old computer pheripheral.

Suggestions (sorry if I've repeated previous comments, haven't gone through the thread yet):
- Could add a second screw in the joint that connects top and bottom panels to rear panel. Should help with rigidity and perpendicularity.
- Just a tiny bit more GPU clearance to fit a 4090 (I see that the final version might extend the supported length to 320mm)
- Bring back the expanding side panel mounting system found on the Velka series

Overall the case is how I expected it to be. The Velka 5 and 7 are basically min-maxed sandwich style cases for Flex and SFX psus respectively. This is basically the min-maxed version of a console style case. Overall pretty good job with the design. This is already a pretty usable case for a prototype. Currently the Asus 4080 Pro Art would be the fastest card I can plug in as is but with just a few mm more expansion a 4090 is surely doable. Patiently waiting for the production version to come out!

Photo Dump:

Last edited:

fantomx42

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 19, 2023
Is this project still going on? ive been waiting for a replacement for my sentry with better gpu compatibility.

fantomx42

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 19, 2023
All good, I’m not in any rush just was wondering. I have a feeling all the cases I want are gonna drop within months of each other at this point lol

fantomx42

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 19, 2023
All good, I’m not in any rush just was wondering. I have a feeling all the cases I want are gonna drop within months of each other at this point lo
It is still going on and will be finished but I cannot estimate when, as there is a lot of other work that needs to get done before I can dedicate my full attention back to this.
Also can I ask why the power cable wasn’t put under the GPU like in the sentry?

Atlas

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2022
Michael, the Black Ridge cooler is not compatible with your prototype, right?
But there is this Asrock board, which has its socket notable higher than the rest.

Do you think the Black Ridge would work on this board in the Velka console? It seems to be the only Z790 ITX board which is compatible with this cooler.

Last edited:

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
But there is this Asrock board, which has its socket notable higher than the rest.

Do you think the Black Ridge would work on this board in the Velka console? It seems to be the only Z790 ITX board which is compatible with this cooler.

The problem is not the case or cooler itself, its the PCIe Slot that gets covered by the cooler and therefore the GPU can't be installed without a Riser Cable! ;)

Atlas

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2022
The problem is not the case or cooler itself, its the PCIe Slot that gets covered by the cooler and therefore the GPU can't be installed without a Riser Cable! ;)
Yes, I got that. But this combo should work, right?

...and a GPU can't be installed in the case without a Riser Cable anyway! 😁

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018

I'm sorry but I cannot say with certainty that the Black Ridge would be compatible with a higher CPU socket position. There is a possibility of it being compatible if the area above the PCIe slot on the motherboard is clear (15 mm from the left edge of the board as shown in your second attached image).

Reactions: Atlas and GucksTV

Apple713

Cable Smoosher
Jul 24, 2023
any more details on what the final model might look like or if it will have different dimensions or clearance than the prototype?

wipefox

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 25, 2021
I upgraded to a 4070 FE. It fits nicely with a 90 degree angled 12VHPWR adapter cable.
This avoid bending the power cables too much which I showed in my initial post on this thread.

But now the case almost seems to big. :D

wipefox

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 25, 2021
I upgraded to a 4070 FE. It fits nicely with a 90 degree angled 12VHPWR adapter cable.
This avoid bending the power cables too much which I showed in my initial post on this thread.

But now the case almost seems to big. :D

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

GhostPrince4

Case Bender
New User
Oct 16, 2023
Just got the case yesterday. Current build in it is a 10700k and 6800xt.
  • Is there anything you want this case to do better than the Velka series and other console-style cases?
    • Not much. TBH like it better than the velka 7. I had the same build in a velka 7 and it would push against the GPU side grill.
  • Preference for the bar feet or round stand. Which would you use?
    • I have used both but I prefer the round base.
  • Front I/O and what you would use it for (ex: wireless adapters, charging, etc.)
    • USB c would be ideal to attach a dock for everything.
  • Should case length be increased to fit graphics cards longer than 300 mm?
    • No, one of the main benefits of the Velka cases is portability,
  • Anything else that you want to mention?
    • Not much, I like it a lot. I love how slim it is. I wish you could put the GPU and CPU fans the same way so I can flat mount the case to the bottom of my desk.

Reactions: rfarmer

Apple713

Cable Smoosher
Jul 24, 2023
im sure this is such a newbie question but there were a lot of screws sent with the case, which ones go where? Like when to use the black round tops (they are less in length than the black flat tops), and the silver round tops are well, idk where to use those? Maybe mounting gpu or psu? My psu (Corsair) came with 4 extra screws but theres 6 holes in the mount?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
im sure this is such a newbie question but there were a lot of screws sent with the case, which ones go where? Like when to use the black round tops (they are less in length than the black flat tops), and the silver round tops are well, idk where to use those? Maybe mounting gpu or psu? My psu (Corsair) came with 4 extra screws but theres 6 holes in the mount?

Going from left to right:
Countersunk M3x0.5 (flat top). Use for all countersunk holes so that they lay flush. This includes most parts.

Round head M3x0.5. Use for the motherboard, PCIe riser cable, and the graphics card.

The largest screws (UNC 6-32) are for the power supply. Only 3-4 are required. The ones included with your PSU might also work.

Reactions: Arboreal

Apple713

Cable Smoosher
Jul 24, 2023
Going from left to right:
Countersunk M3x0.5 (flat top). Use for all countersunk holes so that they lay flush. This includes most parts.

Round head M3x0.5. Use for the motherboard, PCIe riser cable, and the graphics card.

The largest screws (UNC 6-32) are for the power supply. Only 3-4 are required. The ones included with your PSU might also work.
Perfect, that’s what I needed to know, thanks!