Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Shrinkage

Case Bender
New User
May 26, 2018
There will be a case called the Velka 7 soon, but this lineup is changing and that case is going to be more similar to the previous Velka 5 in terms of hardware compatibility. There will be some larger cases going by different names in the works soon, but it will be some time before they are released.

Does this mean the Velka 7 is superseding the Velka 5, rather than the planned May 2020 batch having a 5?

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
There may be a small number of these cases available soon

Will I get a notification about this if I signed up on the website for vk-3 ones ??

The new version that will replace it will not support 3.5" drives unless if some last-minute change is made.

Please do keep this compatibility if possible. The USP of the vk-3 case is that it supports multiple build types
We have the larger variants for dedicated GFX builds

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
@VELKASE Michael Any chance of downsizing the Velka 3 moving forward? I'm not sure how it'll affect airflow, but is it possible to shift the graphics card up allowing for the PSU to be placed on its side. Should save some vertical space? Could maybe allow for 25mm fans at the top instead? This could also potentially allow for shifting of the power button to the corner which would then provide enough space to support modular PSUs? Maybe wouldn't look as nice though ?

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Revisions up to 1.2 of this case can support multiple 2.5" drives (they can be mechanical), but not 3.5" drives. There may be a small number of these cases available soon. The new version that will replace it will not support 3.5" drives unless if some last-minute change is made.

Good. It makes next to no sense making room for 3.5" drives in such a space optimized build. If it can be done as an option (like of if you go with an APU or an ITX graphics card), sure it's a nice feature, but 3.5" feels both out of place and out of touch with the spirit of this type of case. At least that's my opinion.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
don't see why riser inclusion prohibits 2in1 design. disappointing.

why not both?

There is no elegant way to change the CPU cooler clearance and the number of expansion slots in this case. Any solution would result in either gaps or protrusions in the back panel. Having a separate case dedicated for configurations without graphics cards would result in a higher quality product overall.

Does this mean the Velka 7 is superseding the Velka 5, rather than the planned May 2020 batch having a 5?

I'll get back with a timeline update in the next few days.

Will I get a notification about this if I signed up on the website for vk-3 ones ??

Please do keep this compatibility if possible. The USP of the vk-3 case is that it supports multiple build types
We have the larger variants for dedicated GFX builds

Unfortunately, there were some issues with that mailing list, so you would have to sign up for the new one. It's at the very bottom of the website. Sorry for the inconvenience. There will be an update sent to subscribers of that mailing list in the next few days and it will also be posted here, so you probably won't miss it.

Also, the Velka 3 didn't support 3.5" drives particularly well, which is why compatibility with those was dropped in rev 1.2. I may show some pre-production units of the new APU case soon, which could serve as a starting point for discussion regarding storage support.

@VELKASE Michael Any chance of downsizing the Velka 3 moving forward? I'm not sure how it'll affect airflow, but is it possible to shift the graphics card up allowing for the PSU to be placed on its side. Should save some vertical space? Could maybe allow for 25mm fans at the top instead? This could also potentially allow for shifting of the power button to the corner which would then provide enough space to support modular PSUs? Maybe wouldn't look as nice though ?

That would actually result in a height increase because Flex ATX power supplies are about 40 mm wider than they are tall, and you can only get about 25 mm back from rotating it and placing it on the graphics card size. It would also make the case wider because of the space that the riser would take up between the motherboard tray and power supply.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Also, the Velka 3 didn't support 3.5" drives particularly well, which is why compatibility with those was dropped in rev 1.2. I may show some pre-production units of the new APU case soon, which could serve as a starting point for discussion regarding storage support.

Look forward to it. Hoping for a VK-3 like size/form factor with the GPU chamber streamlined/repurposed for drive support

Will the VK-3 rev2 still have the mounting points/slots found in rev1.2 - or are wholescale changes to be expected ??

prescben

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2020
Anyone know if "Preparing a Batch for May" means May start of production? May delivery?

Have a bunch of components just waiting for a case and debating whether to try to find a used one on the secondary market or if I should just try to practice some patience ;)

Reactions: SF4TW

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Anyone know if "Preparing a Batch for May" means May start of production? May delivery?

Have a bunch of components just waiting for a case and debating whether to try to find a used one on the secondary market or if I should just try to practice some patience ;)

my understanding is we can order in May and production starts in May. May delivery is just unthinkable to me but @VELKASE Michael can prove me wrong? :) anyhow I think improvements in revision 2.0 are worth the wait

Reactions: KevinSiebert

SF4TW

Case Bender
New User
Apr 10, 2020
Michael - I hope you never lose sight of what and why the Velka 3 is so loved. I like all your listed points of change for revision 2.0 so far, and can only think of one other change I would like to see. If possible, could you have the case finished all brushed or all blasted so it is one uniformed finish.

Reactions: KevinSiebert

KevinSiebert

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2020
Michael - I hope you never lose sight of what and why the Velka 3 is so loved. I like all your listed points of change for revision 2.0 so far, and can only think of one other change I would like to see. If possible, could you have the case finished all brushed or all blasted so it is one uniformed finish.
I like the idea of having an option for all panels brushed/anodized or all panels powder coateded, but Michael is trying to reduce the amount of different options in order to reduce overhead. It would be nice to get a finish option though.

SF4TW

Case Bender
New User
Apr 10, 2020
I like the idea of having an option for all panels brushed/anodized or all panels powder coateded, but Michael is trying to reduce the amount of different options in order to reduce overhead. It would be nice to get a finish option though.
I wasn't after an option. just a uniformed finish.

Tester

Cable Smoosher
Jul 22, 2017
any chance i can fit 4 x 2.5' hdd's in the new case config with no case fans, no cpu fan (mobo has low tdp inbuilt cpu) or gfx card. i was going build a nas with this case.

thanks

Reactions: sid21177

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Timeline update. This is also posted on the website.

The May 2020 batch

Availability in May will be limited to a small quantity of Velka 3 cases (revision 1.2), ENP-7660B power supplies, VF-8010-PWM fans, and some new budget-oriented APU cases in pre-production status.

Please note that there will be fewer than 50 cases in total, that they will only ship to the United States, and that the Velka 3 stock is only expected to last a few minutes based on previous demand. We are working to get these ready as soon as possible and will have an exact availability date soon. Pre-orders will not be accepted for this batch.

The 2020 Velka models

Chinese New Year followed by the COVID-19 outbreak has resulted in a significant amount of production downtime, which has been used as an opportunity to heavily revise the current Velka models with a focus on structural integrity and appearance. These new models will be referred to as “revision 2.0” and are expected to become available in July 2020.

More details on the new models will be shared soon and ordering will become available when the shipping dates become certain.

Shipping

At this moment in time, we are only shipping throughout the United States with the exception of certain replacement parts for previous international orders. The impact that the COVID-19 outbreak has on shipping around the world is too unpredictable for us to give an estimate on when shipping outside of the United States can resume as per usual, but we plan to do so as soon as reasonably possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

my understanding is we can order in May and production starts in May. May delivery is just unthinkable to me but @VELKASE Michael can prove me wrong? :) anyhow I think improvements in revision 2.0 are worth the wait

Any listed availability dates will usually indicate when you can have it shipped. It looks like the revisions will be delayed until July.

The new cases have a combination of smooth powdercoating and sandblasted aluminum of the same color, so the texture and appearance are more similar all-around than before.

any chance i can fit 4 x 2.5' hdd's in the new case config with no case fans, no cpu fan (mobo has low tdp inbuilt cpu) or gfx card. i was going build a nas with this case.

thanks

That would work in the rev 1.2 case but most likely not in the new case.
EDIT: The new APU case that will take care of the Velka 3 rev 1.2's APU functionality will not support 4 drives on the first release but it might be revised shortly after to support that.

Last edited:

prescben

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2020
The new cases have a combination of smooth powdercoating and sandblasted aluminum of the same color, so the texture and appearance are more similar all-around than before.

For my own clarity, does "new case" in this instance mean the July 2.0 batches or does this also include the limited May 1.2 batch?

Additionally, I notice in the may batch a limited availability of cases, fans, and psu's... but I don't see anything about the liheat riser cables. Is that assumed included with the case, or would that be something that we should look to source ourselves?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
For my own clarity, does "new case" in this instance mean the July 2.0 batches or does this also include the limited May 1.2 batch?

Additionally, I notice in the may batch a limited availability of cases, fans, and psu's... but I don't see anything about the liheat riser cables. Is that assumed included with the case, or would that be something that we should look to source ourselves?

Sorry about the confusion. "New case" means the cases that will come out in July. Case + riser bundles will be available in May.