Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

j4dx

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2020
@VELKASE Michael glad you're making upright cases, I think the SFF community could do with more of those :) Would you consider having a vertical perforated line on either side of the Velka front panels for extra air intake?

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
any chance i can fit 4 x 2.5' hdd's in the new case config with no case fans, no cpu fan (mobo has low tdp inbuilt cpu) or gfx card. i was going build a nas with this case.

thanks
This is my usecase as well 2-4x SSD + 1x 3.5 HDD. The 1.2 revision has enough space if the rear PCI slots were closed and mounting points added on the back plate to secure the larger HDD from 2 sides

Hoping the APU case supports this functionality. There are plenty of 3-4x 2.5 HDD only case choices

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
This is my usecase as well 2-4x SSD + 1x 3.5 HDD. The 1.2 revision has enough space if the rear PCI slots were closed and mounting points added on the back plate to secure the larger HDD from 2 sides

Hoping the APU case supports this functionality. There are plenty of 3-4x 2.5 HDD only case choices

It doesn't have this functionality yet because the first round of those cases needed to be as simple as possible, but I wouldn't be against adding some extra drive support in a June or July version.

@VELKASE Michael glad you're making upright cases, I think the SFF community could do with more of those :) Would you consider having a vertical perforated line on either side of the Velka front panels for extra air intake?

Maybe in a different case with a riser-less layout, where vents could be punched. In the 2.0 revisions of these cases, the front panel would have to be cut with a laser and some people have complained about sharp edges caused by that previously.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
It doesn't have this functionality yet because the first round of those cases needed to be as simple as possible, but I wouldn't be against adding some extra drive support in a June or July version.

Oh ok - I can wait I suppose - are we targetting an internal volume similar to vk-3 ??
Also, can the May batch v1.2 be purchased without the riser ??

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
@VELKASE Michael what are the dimensions for the new Velak 5 v2.0?
Is it gonna be the same as the current one 176 x 109 x 314 mm. and only design changes or there is more to it?
If its bigger it wont fit 90% of the 13" DSLR bags and it beats the purpose of being small and portable....

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Does anyone know if 80×15 fans are too tall for the top of the Velka 3? Would it be better to have them as exhaust?
I have the 80x10s that Michael sells, and they barely fit. There's definitely not enough room for an extra 5mm. The GPU and CPU coolers both pull air in from the sides of the case and blow it out radially to the top, bottom, front, and back (or only towards the back if you have an ASUS GPU). So those top fans need to be exhaust, which will assist the removal of hot air.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Oh ok - I can wait I suppose - are we targetting an internal volume similar to vk-3 ??
Also, can the May batch v1.2 be purchased without the riser ??

The volume will be a little bit larger. It needs to support taller coolers like the Wraith Spire.

Regarding purchasing a rev 1.2 case without the riser- there may be a couple that I could sell without a riser but can't say for certain yet.

@VELKASE Michael what are the dimensions for the new Velak 5 v2.0?
Is it gonna be the same as the current one 176 x 109 x 314 mm. and only design changes or there is more to it?
If its bigger it wont fit 90% of the 13" DSLR bags and it beats the purpose of being small and portable....

I can't give a number on this yet but there is more to it than visual changes. You can expect to see more info on this around early May.

Reactions: sid21177

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
The volume will be a little bit larger. It needs to support taller coolers like the Wraith Spire.

Could we get some kind of preview of the APU case in order to decide between this or the vk-3 before ordering opens ??
Past experience says there wont be much time (if any) at ordering time

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Could we get some kind of preview of the APU case in order to decide between this or the vk-3 before ordering opens ??
Past experience says there wont be much time (if any) at ordering time

There will be specifications and pictures available at least one week in advance of it going on sale.

ggabriele3

Cable Smoosher
Dec 28, 2019
Has anyone tried these 80x80x10 fans from amazon? About the same price as the ones from the Velka store, but I assume shipping would be faster.

EDIT - nvm, they're not PWM

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Has anyone tried these 80x80x10 fans from amazon? About the same price as the ones from the Velka store, but I assume shipping would be faster.

EDIT - nvm, they're not PWM

It's also a 5V fan so it will probably burn itself out if you connect it to a 12V motherboard fan header

FischOderAal

Average Stuffer
Apr 15, 2020
As long as there is support for a bunch of drives, that also goes away for APU cases - its one of the USP for the 3 model.
I'm hoping @VELKASE Michael changes his mind at least for pre-orders where you can predict upfront ?

I second this. I'm currently pondering printing my own NAS case that I can take to a lan party which we do once a year. An APU will be enough for that.

dnpp123

Trash Compacter
Jun 6, 2019
Will there be any way to get a case of the July batch delivered to S. Korea by any chance? Looking to get one velka 3 and one velka 5.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Will there be any way to get a case of the July batch delivered to S. Korea by any chance? Looking to get one velka 3 and one velka 5.

Shipping to South Korea shouldn't be a problem.
Question, if you use HDPlex with Velka 3, can you fit a 15mm 2.5" drive on the motherboard side?

Only a 7 mm one

This is the APU case? When finalized, will it have a brushed finish, course powder coating finish, or this glossy finish?

Matte black powder coated all around

Reactions: dnpp123 and Skarum