Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
We can still keep a discussion going on what changes and fixes everyone would like to see in the next revision. Some of it may influence the design, however, the design may not be revealed until later. The following changes are certain:
  • All cases will only be available in black, at least in the beginning
    • Reason: black is the most popular color and decreasing the number of colors makes quality control and inventory management easier

Shucks. Do you expect going back to multiple colors in the near future? I had my eyes on a grey Velka 5.

• The new power buttons will have a more tactile feel and have optional white illumination

Is the new power button "shorter" than the old one or same dimensions? I know some people ran in to clearance issues with very wide graphics cards.

The primary focus of this upcoming revision is to fix all of the functional issues the 1.x revisions have had, and then give the cases a more characteristic appearance. The previous revisions have a somewhat generic appearance that is easy to copy because they were originally designed for very small batches.

Exciting! But also a little worrisome. I really dig the minimalistic, no-nonsense look of the Velkas. I hope you keep the same design language :)

All in all, it sounds very exciting and I'll keep my eyes peeled for any updates :)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Shucks. Do you expect going back to multiple colors in the near future? I had my eyes on a grey Velka 5.

No ETA on this because casting a wider net is not a priority right now, and that's all offering multiple colors does on my side of things.

Is the new power button "shorter" than the old one or same dimensions? I know some people ran in to clearance issues with very wide graphics cards.

The new button will be shorter, but graphics card compatibility depends on other factors so the case may not necessarily become compatible with cards

Reactions: Skarum

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
No ETA on this because casting a wider net is not a priority right now, and that's all offering multiple colors does on my side of things.

Sounds fair. Looking forward to seeing the black version. I reckon it'll look absolutely fine on my desk :)

The new button will be shorter, but graphics card compatibility depends on other factors so the case may not necessarily become compatible with cards

Sounds good. Personally I had the (quite wide) Powercolor Red Dragon cards in mind, as some users had made it fit using angled PCI-E connectors, as it was technically too wide for the Velka 5. As two slot cards are becomming sort of rare, it'd be nice if "wide" cards were still supported - even if it required something like the angled connectors.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

KevinSiebert

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2020
I got most of my system ready for when I finally get the new Velka 3 in May. I like the black design and I'm fine with the slimmer fans as part of the design as long as they're good quality. Hoping designing the case as GPU only will allow for a cleaner back panel design with fewer gaping holes for PCIe.

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
Just a suggestion from my experience with installing the 2.5" hard drive, a mount at the front of the case, above the power button internally I think would be best. The top (restricts airflow) or beside the PSU (super tight squeeze, at least with the Enhance ENP-7660B) don't work well for me.

NBM722

Cable Smoosher
Mar 27, 2020
Hi , just wondering if i can but a 3.5 hdd instead of the graphics card in the velka 3 i want to use it for htpc .

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Worth noting too that the front and sides are anodised but the sides are sandblasted and the front is brushed.

Good spot, I forgot about that tidbit. It's actually one of my gripes with my Velka 3 (the sandblasted side panels have fair smooth edges around the vent holes as the sandblasting more or less deburrs the edges, whereas the brushed covers have very sharp edges around pretty much every hole and is unpleasant to touch/handle)

KevinSiebert

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2020
Can we not continue the v1.x as APU only case - just block off the smaller PCI slot opening on the back
The point of having the APU setup was to allow for a taller cooler to cool CPUs with higher TDPs. I still prefer the dual slot PCIE only design since it would make the back side of the case look cleaner.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
The point of having the APU setup was to allow for a taller cooler to cool CPUs with higher TDPs. I still prefer the dual slot PCIE only design since it would make the back side of the case look cleaner.

How does keeping the old case around affect this ?? - there was talk of a new APU only case and this speeds up that process.
Aren't we already getting a new design with the above in the next revision ??

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
are you still going to try and design a velka 7?

There will be a case called the Velka 7 soon, but this lineup is changing and that case is going to be more similar to the previous Velka 5 in terms of hardware compatibility. There will be some larger cases going by different names in the works soon, but it will be some time before they are released.

Would the black on the case be anodized or powder coated? would the power be button be black to match or be an accent color?

Black anodized front panel and power button, and everything else black powder-coated.

Hi , just wondering if i can but a 3.5 hdd instead of the graphics card in the velka 3 i want to use it for htpc .

Revisions up to 1.2 of this case can support multiple 2.5" drives (they can be mechanical), but not 3.5" drives. There may be a small number of these cases available soon. The new version that will replace it will not support 3.5" drives unless if some last-minute change is made.

Reactions: MrFizzyBubbs

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
There will be a case called the Velka 7 soon, but this lineup is changing and that case is going to be more similar to the previous Velka 5 in terms of hardware compatibility.

Excited to find out more!
(I hope the new medium sized case is an SFX version of the Velka 3!)

Reactions: newzealot