Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
will there be possibility of shipping to Australia considering the current global situation?

That will depend on the global situation a few months from now. I think it should be possible, but it will be either more slow or expensive than usual.

Reactions: kmao

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Lots of people have been asking about this. The small May batch has not been sold yet.

I'm now planning to announce the exact availability date of the May batch and info on the new models some time around May 18th (this date is subject to change), and the cases will become available no earlier than 1 week after that announcement (this is certain). This announcement will be sent to subscribers, posted on the website, and posted here.

In other words, if you're interested but not subscribed to the mailing list, just check once every 5 or so days and you'll still have time to decide what you want.

I apologize that things are going slowly, but that's just how things are now.

Last edited:

eightySix

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2020
That will depend on the global situation a few months from now. I think it should be possible, but it will be either more slow or expensive than usual.

Awesome. Well when the cases are available to order I'm more than happy to pre order and pay for it and allow for shipping to commence when possible. If you're happy with this

badaaim

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017
Hi Michael,

I have both the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC (Ver1.0) and HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX (older version) and whilst the mounting holes I don't mind if they are incompatible, I can find a solution potentially, would they fit in the Velka 3? Are they both compatible size-wise?

I viewed OptimumTech's review on the Velka 3 and whilst he shows that the DC-ATX by itself fits well, albeit slightly cramped, I was hopeful in fitting the AC-DC inside as well to avoid an external brick.

Thanks,
badaaim

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
I have both the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC (Ver1.0) and HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX (older version) and whilst the mounting holes I don't mind if they are incompatible, I can find a solution potentially, would they fit in the Velka 3? Are they both compatible size-wise?
The HDPEX 400W AC-DC is 180mm long, which is 30mm longer than a flex ATX, and just 5 mm short of the maximum internal depth of the Velka 3. This wouldn't leave any room for the power button, or the DC output cable on the supply. You can maybe alter the case a bit so it will stick out the back. Either way you only have about 40mm to squeeze the DC-ATX next to it, and that is 26mm high.

I found this guy on reddit trying to fit the AC-DC with some modification. Apparently he somehow managed to fit the DC-ATX at the top of the case. He also gave up and used a Flex-ATX.

Reactions: badaaim

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
The HDPEX 400W AC-DC is 180mm long, which is 30mm longer than a flex ATX, and just 5 mm short of the maximum internal depth of the Velka 3. This wouldn't leave any room for the power button, or the DC output cable on the supply. You can maybe alter the case a bit so it will stick out the back. Either way you only have about 40mm to squeeze the DC-ATX next to it, and that is 26mm high.

I found this guy on reddit trying to fit the AC-DC with some modification. Apparently he somehow managed to fit the DC-ATX at the top of the case. He also gave up and used a Flex-ATX.

Don't forget the cooling fan. The HDPlex AC-DC unit is only rated to deliver 250W when not actively cooled. I am unsure whether there's OTP built into the AC-DC unit, but I wouldn't really want to run high draw components without cooling the HDPlex. With a fan attached, it's definitely too long to fit into the velka.

Reactions: badaaim

badaaim

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017
Don't forget the cooling fan. The HDPlex AC-DC unit is only rated to deliver 250W when not actively cooled. I am unsure whether there's OTP built into the AC-DC unit, but I wouldn't really want to run high draw components without cooling the HDPlex. With a fan attached, it's definitely too long to fit into the velka.
This made me rethink on what parts I had. Turns out I actually had 300W AC-DC which HDPLEX don't have available on their site now. Only in their 10 years history can I find some reference image.

badaaim

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017

Thank you very much for your information, I will look it up. As I mentioned above, I provided wrong information previously. I actually have HDPLEX 300W AC-DC power supply + 400W HiFi DC-NanoATX unit.

The dimensions of the 300W Power supply is in-fact 151.4(D) x 62 (W) x 41 (H) mm as provided here. So compared to the new 400W AC-DC unit they provide, which have dimensions 180.4(D) x 55(W) x 40(H), the one I own is ~30 mm shorter but 7 mm fatter.

So with regards to what you mentioned, length wise it could potentially work right? That 1 mm height difference could break the deal as the image on the reddit post you provided seems to already be in a pinch.

What do you think?

On an irrelevant note, this has made me question my current setup as rough calculation estimates my load wattage to be 350 W, am I in trouble?

Edit: I imported some 3D models in Sketchup for comparison (I can't comment on the accuracy of the models). Web 3D file viewing here

Last edited:

badaaim

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017
On another random note, I started this design a while back but never followed through, I am so glad I will be able to firstly, have such a small form factor that I so wanted from a while back, secondly, have almost exactly the same layout as Michael's.

UnitScott

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2020
The new Velka 7 will have hardware compatibility on the level of the original Velka 5. The new cases will no longer have any top I/O.
May 18th could not come any sooner! Can't wait to learn more about this case: top i/o had been the only thing keeping me away from the Velka 5.

Looking forward to the world's smallest rear i/o + full length GPU case! Hey, and if it fits the Alpenfohn Black Ridge, I'm golden!

Reactions: cobblerjr

Maxi

What's an ITX?
New User
May 16, 2020
i had, quite of fun with the velka 3 i finished my build last year and I thought if I could make the case into portable to take to the college dorm but I didnt want to carry a monitor. So I programed my laptop Thinkpad T540p to work as an input for the case so I wouldnt I could deploy the system fast and easy. This is my document and instructions on the matter.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

UnitScott

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2020
Velka 3 + Alpenfohn Black Ridge... could it be possible?!?

Came upon this incredible direct die black ridge build (+ read follow-up post) that shaves about 3 mm off the CPU cooler clearance, bringing it down to 43 mm !!

Hypothetically, as in practice attempting this could be a costly ordeal, if one were to leave the side panel unscrewed for another, say, 3 mm (as in LTT's video) and shave another 3 mm from the side panel and/or heatsink... you reach the 37mm max clearance for a 2-slot gpu.

Alternatively, you could have it press against the side panel; bulging would surely make up the remaining 3mm, but I wouldn't trust the extra pressure on a bare CPU die...

So, is it possible? Could a masochist or someone with a lot of disposable income actually fit a Black Ridge with a 2 slot gpu in the Velka 3?

What are your thoughts?

cobblerjr

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2020
Wow love the updates. Kinda exactly what I was hoping for in making the Velka 5 even smaller. Overall I think the new lineup is really smart. Updating the Velka 3 and then making one super compact one for full size cards and one that has a little more breathing room for coolers/memory/psu. Can't wait to get my new Velka 5!