Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
The new optimum tech video looks at a new case that is basically a Velka 9, quite interesting

A Velka 9 would definitely not be 2.5x larger than the Velka 7 as that would make a different class of case entirely

OT seems amazed at the 45-degree riser folding action that allows MB IO at the back. Clearly he hasn't keep up with v2.0 Velkas at all
I'm sure he's aware of that type of riser bend as he has reviewed the Corsair One prebuilt. I haven't been able to send review samples yet.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
Will the Velka 5 V3 have a GPU face the same way as the MB? I so would have thought about getting the 7 if the GPU was not positioned that way.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
What, no, I mean, will the IO on the GPU face the baclk like the MB IO?
If you mean making the case horizontal with the typical sandwich layout, I don't foresee that happening because it would require a complete redesign.

It might be possible to allow mounting ITX length graphics cards with rear IO in the future, keeping everything else in the same orientation, but that would have drawbacks.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Happy New Year, everyone. We're getting closer to the re-stock; power supplies are here and will become available in these next few days. Cases are still expected sometime in January. Thanks to all those who have been waiting patiently.

Sziklapeti

Trash Compacter
Jun 4, 2020
I love how they added the -VK to the model number. :D It is now a VelKase branded power supply!
Looks sick tho.
And a happy new year to you all too.
Happy New Year, everyone. We're getting closer to the re-stock; power supplies are here and will become available in these next few days. Cases are still expected sometime in January. Thanks to all those who have been waiting patiently.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
I was wondering... For the Velka 7 you choose to have a double bend to make space to route display output in the back. This is because you won't have space if you rotate the GPU by 180° (one single bend of the riser cable, this way), right?

What if, instead of internal extensions, you provide cables which connects directly to monitor(s) and you have just a single bend for the riser? Doing like this would mean cables coming out from a hole of the case and probably would mean a (partial) disassembly of the bottom case if someone would want to add/remove video cables... What are the drawbacks that made you choose to have two bends instead? Higher prices of cables compared to internal extensions?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I was wondering... For the Velka 7 you choose to have a double bend to make space to route display output in the back. This is because you won't have space if you rotate the GPU by 180° (one single bend of the riser cable, this way), right?

What if, instead of internal extensions, you provide cables which connects directly to monitor(s) and you have just a single bend for the riser? Doing like this would mean cables coming out from a hole of the case and probably would mean a (partial) disassembly of the bottom case if someone would want to add/remove video cables... What are the drawbacks that made you choose to have two bends instead? Higher prices of cables compared to internal extensions?
The extra riser bends just make it possible to put the motherboard IO at the rear while keeping the graphics card and case in the vertical orientation. The graphics card could have been offset to make space for display cables even without the double riser bend, it just wouldn't make sense to do that because then you would have motherboard and graphics card IO on the same side and no need for extensions.

External cables would have been cheaper but they also take up more space. The internal ones used here only occupy 11 mm of the case height, whereas an external cable would occupy at least 30 mm if it is angled towards the side panel or 60 mm if it is angled towards the rear.

Reactions: SashaLag

twoloavesofbread

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 20, 2020
The prob. with that is?
Having the motherboard and GPU I/O facing the same way compromises the case in one of a few ways. It either changes the layout of the case entirely (makes the graphics card horizontal, more like a Dancase or Ghost S1), undoes one of the main changes from Rev.1 to Rev.2 (moving the top IO to the back like a more traditional case), or wastes the vertical space and severely restricting the kinds of GPU that can be used in the case.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
Having the motherboard and GPU I/O facing the same way compromises the case in one of a few ways. It either changes the layout of the case entirely (makes the graphics card horizontal, more like a Dancase or Ghost S1), undoes one of the main changes from Rev.1 to Rev.2 (moving the top IO to the back like a more traditional case), or wastes the vertical space and severely restricting the kinds of GPU that can be used in the case.
Just have the GPU go from front to back like the MB.

iostream

Cable Smoosher
Jan 3, 2021
Are all Velka 3 preorders likely to be fulfilled in the January timeframe quoted above, or are they going to be done in batches according to how early you preordered? I was quite late to the party (I preordered my Velka 3 about a week ago, and I believe preorders have been taken since September), and I don't know if I should actively start seeking out parts yet.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Are all Velka 3 preorders likely to be fulfilled in the January timeframe quoted above, or are they going to be done in batches according to how early you preordered? I was quite late to the party (I preordered my Velka 3 about a week ago, and I believe preorders have been taken since September), and I don't know if I should actively start seeking out parts yet.

Yes and yes. They are all still expected to ship out this month over the course of 1-2 weeks, starting from the earliest pre-orders