Production REVOCCASES - RCC-MID1 | industrial style case with 180mm fan and rad support

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
ok, got the PICOBOX X300MINI today. didn't have the chance to test it yet because I forgot to order a AC/DC power brick...

this design should give us some more CPU cooler options (like really high tower coolers) and like I said, maybe we can manage to push the output power to 350+ Watt with a better heatsink on the MOSFETS.

more about this soon...

no, that´s not the new revoccases whopper cooler. Just to show how high we can go with a pico psu ;)

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I checked for compatible external power bricks and the most powerful one would be the DELL 19.5VDC 16.9A (330W) used e.g. for the Alienware Notebooks. So about 300W is the most we can get out of the X300MINI unless you want to use two power bricks in parallel or some industrial high power PSU...

Anyway, I think that´s enough for most people under real life conditions

RTX2070 power consumption: 190W max
3600X power consumption: 80W max
leaves 30W for MOBO, Fans and others...

edit: tested and not recommended for higher end builds

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Those caps look horribly soldered. I was tought that they should be seated onto the PCB, avoiding rocking which can crack the leads over time with vibration. Or am I wrong?

yes, you are right. It´s still a prototype of their update version. You can have a look to the pictures on their website where they did a better soldering/assembly job. :cool:

FYI: they use good components like Rubycon caps, TDK inductors, etc

Reactions: FischOderAal

FischOderAal

Average Stuffer
Apr 15, 2020
That's good to hear! In the end, it probably doesn't matter too much. One time I disassembled the PSU a friend had used for years and the soldering was so badly I was suprised it didn't fry his system :D

Reactions: THUMPer

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Found an alternative today and ordered a sample: 450w plug in psu (ld-a450wl)

On taobao they even selling it together with TWO big Dell power bricks, so I guess it should not be fake "450w"

Availability is also better for international customers, they selling on Amazon and co.

More info

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
well, the X300MINI with the 330W DELL AC/DC brick is out of the race, at least for me.

I pushed the whole setup to the limit today and the most I could get out of this was 240W total. To be fair, the DELL power brick goes into Over Current protection first and shuts down. Could be that the X300MINI can handle a bit more.

Summarizing I only recommend this setup for builds with <200W total system power requirements.

Reactions: FischOderAal

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
PS: I will move further power supply tests and results to here for people who are also interested in these kind of PSUs.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Major update for all silent / air / passive cooling enthusiasts!

Today I have tested RCC-MID1 compatibility with the Thermalright Silver Arrow T8 together with the plug-in Rgeek 450W DC-DC PSU.

Long story short: its working great!

CPU Thermal Test
R3800X @ full load: ΔT = 50°C (40% CPU fan)
R3800X @ full load: ΔT = 64°C (semi passive, case fan only)

Rgeek 450W DC-DC PSU Test

This rather cheap plug-in PSU works totally fine. I've run stress tests with my RTX2070 and 3800X simultaneously (about +/- 300W system power) and didn't observe any problems. At first I thought there could be some issues with the PCIe and CPU power cables because they only use AWG22 but it turned out to be totally fine. The DC barrel connectors coming from the TWO DELL power bricks are getting pretty hot but still well below the commonly used 80°C thermal rating.

Summarizing: If you are looking for some cheap but powerful plug-in DC-DC power supply for a setup with up to 350W power requirements we have a working alternative. If you really need 400W I would recommend the G-Unique or 400 distro from JHack.

Case Update

The first 15 (beta) cases will be ready in about two weeks. These might still have some minor flaws but are totally fine to use. When everything is ready, I will inform everyone on the waiting list about the price and shipping cost.

After my tests today I have made some small but important design changes to support giant coolers together with DC-DC power supplies. Same like the radiator support, people will have a choice which power supply they would like to use (read: use pliers if you want to use a SFX PSU).

This change will be coming for the next, bigger quantity production batch.

Last edited:

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Nice design! Interested to see where the cost lands.

If I've got it right the Silverstone 180 fans need to be exhausting so that the fan guard is on the outside? For a vertical arrangement I guess one fan exhausting at the top would be almost ideal anyway but not sure how horizontal with two fans would work?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Nice design! Interested to see where the cost lands.

If I've got it right the Silverstone 180 fans need to be exhausting so that the fan guard is on the outside? For a vertical arrangement I guess one fan exhausting at the top would be almost ideal anyway but not sure how horizontal with two fans would work?

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm still calculating based on the pre-order inquiries I got so far...

You can use the fans how you like it. You could even make both intake. Air can go out through the PSU and two long slots on the sides.

If you use the fans as intake, you should use some finger guards:

Maybe I'll include one or two with the case.

Reactions: bichael