Completed Project PURE: 3L APU case, MEANWELL Support

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Can I use the meanwell with the Dynamo mini?

Yes. However I do not offer the 24V version required to use it with the dynamo. I do offer the wiring hook ups.

You want an Rps-200-24-c which is the 24V version. It is sold by mouser, digikey, or arrow electronics.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Project update!

Thanks for all the support! The reception of this release has been very good! A few packages were shipped out yesterday and a few will be going out today.

There is only a few black and white model available so if you want one, please get them before they go out. The QC on them has been costly so they will either have a price increase or discontinued completely. A small painting mistake is expensive since it completely shows.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Project update!

Thanks for all the support! The reception of this release has been very good! A few packages were shipped out yesterday and a few will be going out today.

There is only a few black and white model available so if you want one, please get them before they go out. The QC on them has been costly so they will either have a price increase or discontinued completely. A small painting mistake is expensive since it completely shows.

Get some paint stripper, and sell the botched ones as bare cases! Then you could recover SOME of your losses.

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
I received my Pure case and Meanwell kit today, even though I knew the dimensions it looks smaller than I expected ( a good thing). Fit and finish are excellent, a real quality product! Jim protected and packed it all very well and shipped it quickly. Ordered on Thursday and received on Monday, California to Georgia in 4 days. I can't wait to build, but I am waiting for the CES announcement to see when AMD's new APU will be released. Thanks for the great product and service Jim!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have a question about the Meanwell RPS-200 Kit you sell apart from the case. One of the options lets you select between a 4-pin male or female connector for the output adapter. This mentions option the HDPlex. But the kit is apparently for a 12V DC-DC solution which is out of the voltage range of the HDPlex. Isn't there a risk of buying incompatible products here? Or do you ship a 24V version of the RPS-200 if you choose the option to use with HDPlex?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I have a question about the Meanwell RPS-200 Kit you sell apart from the case. One of the options lets you select between a 4-pin male or female connector for the output adapter. This mentions option the HDPlex. But the kit is apparently for a 12V DC-DC solution which is out of the voltage range of the HDPlex. Isn't there a risk of buying incompatible products here? Or do you ship a 24V version of the RPS-200 if you choose the option to use with HDPlex?

The kit pulls from other product listing, which includes that output connector. You can buy the connector separately, and it'd be compatible with HDPLEX/Minibox. It's more of an option for those who already own a Mini-box picopsu 150XT or 160XT.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The kit pulls from other product listing, which includes that output connector. You can buy the connector separately, and it'd be compatible with HDPLEX/Minibox. It's more of an option for those who already own a Mini-box picopsu 150XT or 160XT.

I think I got it. So if I already have an HDPLEX I should just buy the C6 and output adapters and get the RSP-200-24-C elsewhere?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
so, working on the PURE XL version right now. Do you guys think it warrants a separate thread?

I would say yes, the only reason I think you would have one thread for multiple cases is if they are being developed and released at the same time.

Reactions: Kdrs0122

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
This was a fun little build to put together. The timing matched up perfectly as I bought the parts for cheap around Black Friday. I intend to use it as a Hyperspin/light gaming/multimedia machine. Apologies for the lower quality/blurry photos. I built at night and did not have access to great lighting (love me a headlamp while building).

AMD Ryzen 3 2200g
Noctua L9a AM4 Cooler
Asrock B450 Gaming ITX/AC
G. Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz (2 x 8gb)
Samsung 860 evo m2 1tb
Meanwell RPS-200-12-C + ONE2 PLUGin 120 - 2X SATA & CPU

Build quality

So far I’m extremely pleased with the build quality of the case. The mounting and screw positions are accurate, and it feels very sturdy and durable. All of my components fit neatly into place with enough space to make installation easy and straightforward — at no point did I feel like I was cramming parts into their position. Although I am currently not using one, I like the option of a 2.5” drive (I’d probably check temps as it mounts above the CPU fan). Hack mentioned there might be imperfections with the two-tone coloring, but I didn’t notice any. The matte black looks great and doesn’t seem to show fingerprints (satin black wasn’t available at the time of ordering), and the white has a smooth, glossy feel to it. I haven’t decided on whether or not to use the included case feet. I’m not a huge fan of adhesive mounting but realize it would help prevent scratches if I’m moving the case around. I’ll probably attach them at some point.

Temps

The below screenshot is from a 2 hour stress test in Realbench with the following settings:

CPU: 3.85 GHz @ 1.35v
GPU: 1600 MHz @ 1.3v
RAM: 2666 MHz @ 1.35v (becomes unstable at higher speeds even without CPU/GPU OC. Haven’t tried tweaking timings, etc.)

Customer Experience

Communication with Hack was quick and easy. Any questions and order adjustments were handled through PMs. I opted for the $2 express shipping and the case arrived with a couple days. Foam inserts and bubble wrap prevented any movement within the box, while screws and power cables were sent in multiple ziplock bags. Everything was satisfactorily protected. If needed, Hack posted an easy-to-follow instructional video for building in the case. One thing to note is that there are 2 different types of screws: one with a flat head and one with a rounder head. At one point I used the rounder ones to mount the PSU and realized that they didn’t sit flush with the bottom of the case (this could have caused some scratches on the table). Just something to be aware of as the screws look similar at first glance.

Conclusion

Overall, I’m really enjoying the case. It’s a pleasure to look at and I’m excited to travel with it (around town or otherwise). Hack did a great job balancing size, aesthetics, and internal build options. I look forward to future designs!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This was a fun little build to put together. The timing matched up perfectly as I bought the parts for cheap around Black Friday. I intend to use it as a Hyperspin/light gaming/multimedia machine. Apologies for the lower quality/blurry photos. I built at night and did not have access to great lighting (love me a headlamp while building).

AMD Ryzen 3 2200g
Noctua L9a AM4 Cooler
Asrock B450 Gaming ITX/AC
G. Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz (2 x 8gb)
Samsung 860 evo m2 1tb
Meanwell RPS-200-12-C + ONE2 PLUGin 120 - 2X SATA & CPU

Build quality

So far I’m extremely pleased with the build quality of the case. The mounting and screw positions are accurate, and it feels very sturdy and durable. All of my components fit neatly into place with enough space to make installation easy and straightforward — at no point did I feel like I was cramming parts into their position. Although I am currently not using one, I like the option of a 2.5” drive (I’d probably check temps as it mounts above the CPU fan). Hack mentioned there might be imperfections with the two-tone coloring, but I didn’t notice any. The matte black looks great and doesn’t seem to show fingerprints (satin black wasn’t available at the time of ordering), and the white has a smooth, glossy feel to it. I haven’t decided on whether or not to use the included case feet. I’m not a huge fan of adhesive mounting but realize it would help prevent scratches if I’m moving the case around. I’ll probably attach them at some point.

Temps

The below screenshot is from a 2 hour stress test in Realbench with the following settings:

CPU: 3.85 GHz @ 1.35v
GPU: 1600 MHz @ 1.3v
RAM: 2666 MHz @ 1.35v (becomes unstable at higher speeds even without CPU/GPU OC. Haven’t tried tweaking timings, etc.)

Customer Experience

Communication with Hack was quick and easy. Any questions and order adjustments were handled through PMs. I opted for the $2 express shipping and the case arrived with a couple days. Foam inserts and bubble wrap prevented any movement within the box, while screws and power cables were sent in multiple ziplock bags. Everything was satisfactorily protected. If needed, Hack posted an easy-to-follow instructional video for building in the case. One thing to note is that there are 2 different types of screws: one with a flat head and one with a rounder head. At one point I used the rounder ones to mount the PSU and realized that they didn’t sit flush with the bottom of the case (this could have caused some scratches on the table). Just something to be aware of as the screws look similar at first glance.

Conclusion

Overall, I’m really enjoying the case. It’s a pleasure to look at and I’m excited to travel with it (around town or otherwise). Hack did a great job balancing size, aesthetics, and internal build options. I look forward to future designs!

Thanks for sharing this awesome build! Glad everything went smoothly.

The round head screws are for installing things like the power entry that don't have countersunk holes. If you turn the cover 180 degrees, it'll cover more of the AC-DC PSU.