Production ONE2 DISTRO 400 - A 12V Power distribution board

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
ETA is likely December. Those people who are itching to get their hands on one can PM me for a barebones kit in NOV, but it'll lack final user friendly manuals and packaging and maybe even final cable kits. It'll be available as:

• barebones, board only for modders/tinkers
  • Basic Kit A, and B, includes cables and hook ups for dancase and Skyreach
  • Possibly a premium kit with cosmetic CNC backplate and cover
Meanwell integrated kits will come 2019

I do not have any prototypes to sell/give at this time unfortunately.

Would the Meanwell integrated kits be setup by customer or you? As I thought the Meanwell unit(s) don't come with their input and output wiring setup?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I can't get over the fact that this is essentially the final solution to so many builds, yet the thread just.... sits....

Reactions: aquelito

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I can't get over the fact that this is essentially the final solution to so many builds, yet the thread just.... sits....
Don't discount the silent lurker ^^
Meanwell units aren't exactly small you know. Plus, I've still some doubts about running upwards of 20A in ~300W builds..

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Would the Meanwell integrated kits be setup by customer or you? As I thought the Meanwell unit(s) don't come with their input and output wiring setup?

It will have pre-made wiring harness to be assembled by the user. It'll be tailored for the cases I'm designing.

For example, the J-Hack Pure you can use a 12V or 24V meanwell RPS-200, with hdplex or 12V plugin units.

Later on, with the release of the Pure XL you can use an RPS-400 to power Dynamo 360 or Distro 400 for a stupid 400W internal build.

Finally I'll have the correct wiring to hook up the meanwell 250W external brick, a high quality brick that can handle 8400+1070 build.

Reactions: cj360

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
It will have pre-made wiring harness to be assembled by the user. It'll be tailored for the cases I'm designing.

For example, the J-Hack Pure you can use a 12V or 24V meanwell RPS-200, with hdplex or 12V plugin units.

Later on, with the release of the Pure XL you can use an RPS-400 to power Dynamo 360 or Distro 400 for a stupid 400W internal build.

Finally I'll have the correct wiring to hook up the meanwell 250W external brick, a high quality brick that can handle 8400+1070 build.

Realistically how much could a 1050ti + CPU consume? Is there any possible way to draw anywhere near 400w in the Pure XL?

(I'm not complaining about anything, I'm just curious)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
That's pretty much what I'm doing. What exactly is the concern versus something like HDPlex? You'll have to spell it out for me.
It might be nothing to worry about, I know.. I'm actually down for this, planning to get and try one once @Thehack finalised it.

300W@15V is 25A. 300W@19V is ~16A..

So current wise it's 50% more, meaning bigger cables are needed. As long as we limit ourselves to internal bricks I guess it's alright since we don't have to worry about beefier connectors - because even with hdplex units there are already people with melted dc jacks(and XT60s) running upwards of 400W.

It's nothing directly related to my use case but I'm still worried.

Reactions: NateDawg72

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Thanks for expanding on that :)

Yeah, makes sense. I've been conservative with my power supply so far, but it's definitely a concern I have when I push it harder. So far the wires barely get warm, but I was only using ~250w

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The distro 400 has 8 pin mini fit power in.

Each pin is rated 8A, so you can have max 32A in using the mini fit.

The distro 400 also has 4 Wago 2604 series. Each wago is rated for 32A. So you can have up to 64A incoming rated.

The components themselves are designed to handle up to 400W so that is what i rate the board as.

So if you use the correct conductor (stranded, 14awg) or good quality mini fit, it is actually very safe for 300W. The wago 2604 is especially well suited for a mod friendly build.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Working on 3d printed cover.

It fits perfectly inside the S4 mini and will be powering a 2600X + GTX 1070. :)

You can see the industrial wago connectors, which is a key feature of the Distro 400.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

SO here it is, tested live, on a 2600X + GTX 1070. The build can't be easier. Look at those (lack of) cables! 12V! No coil whine issues!

Also, the plug in unit, has a breathing LED for when the PC is off, to let you know there's power but PC is off. It'll flash on/off if you apply power incorrectly.

I will be sending the final specs and feedback, and we'll be hitting production in time for a November release.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Working on 3d printed cover.

It fits perfectly inside the S4 mini and will be powering a 2600X + GTX 1070. :)

You can see the industrial wago connectors, which is a key feature of the Distro 400.

Cool, so no CNC heatsink? It's okay! :)

SO here it is, tested live, on a 2600X + GTX 1070. The build can't be easier. Look at those (lack of) cables! 12V! No coil whine issues!

That looks awesome- Do it brickless!

Reactions: br3nd0

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Cool, so no CNC heatsink? It's okay! :)

That looks awesome- Do it brickless!

CNC *cover* will come later once I get the final version. There is no sinking of heat here, not required since this is not a VRM. The nice thing about 3D printing is, you don't waste money screwing up a CNC job :D

Brickless is such a pain, especially since the S4 is not designed for a grounded PSU. It's certainly is possible though. Using an external adapter makes the build such a breeze though. It's easier than building in an ATX case.

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0 and Windfall

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Noice!

What's that orange cable going in and out beside the ram? Cause I see it going to the pdcb as well.