Concept ONE2 AC-DC and DC-ATX Boards - a 12V family

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
Yup. The board designed to handle 400W, so you're more limited by your AC-DC.
Yep, that's the conclusion I'd come to as well. No chance of the distro board supporting dual AC-DC input? Then you could use 2x Meanwell's EPP-200 for full POWER ;)

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Yep, that's the conclusion I'd come to as well. No chance of the distro board supporting dual AC-DC input? Then you could use 2x Meanwell's EPP-200 for full POWER ;)

Certainly at that point you would be in SFX or TFX or FlexATX size territory, right?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

The issue with that is that it requires the use of load balancing circuit, which can end up being very expensive. I'm quite interested in how hdplex will achieve that price point of their X800 unit.

In the meantime, I recommend the UHP-350 unit, which is pretty size similar to two RPS-200-12-C in a line.

The UHP units are designed to handle very high current spikes so is actually well equipped to handle pc builds. The distro board pairs nice because it cleans up the power of the UHP.

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
Certainly at that point you would be in SFX or TFX or FlexATX size territory, right?

The popular SF450 is 0.79L. The EPP-200 is 0.15L. Even with two of them plus the Distro board, you'll still be smaller than the SFX unit. You also have much more flexibility about where you place the different parts, rather than a big cube for the SFX unit.

The issue with that is that it requires the use of load balancing circuit, which can end up being very expensive. I'm quite interested in how hdplex will achieve that price point of their X800 unit.

Ah, that's a shame. Let's wait and see what hdplex do..

In the meantime, I recommend the UHP-350 unit, which is pretty size similar to two RPS-200-12-C in a line.

The UHP units are designed to handle very high current spokes so is actually well equipped to handle pc builds. The distro board pairs nice because it cleans up the power of the UHP.

Yes, I've looked at that one before. The length of it at 22cm is a shame, really starts to grow the size of the case beyond the bare minimum for an ITX board + ITX GPU stacked back-to-back.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The popular SF450 is 0.79L. The EPP-200 is 0.15L. Even with two of them plus the Distro board, you'll still be smaller than the SFX unit. You also have much more flexibility about where you place the different parts, rather than a big cube for the SFX unit.

Ah, that's a shame. Let's wait and see what hdplex do..

Yes, I've looked at that one before. The length of it at 22cm is a shame, really starts to grow the size of the case beyond the bare minimum for an ITX board + ITX GPU stacked back-to-back.

You should be able to run two RPS-200-12-C in series and use hdplex. Not tested. Though the Dynamo and HDPlex boards are much bigger due to their vrm nature.

In terms of power density, the sf450 is legit. What causes to be bigger is their DC-DC board, fan and their many modular connectors.

I will be adopting the flex atx as a size standard in future. It's a far off project, as I'm starting with simpler DC-DC projects first. Ideally I'm looking at a 42 x 82 x 170 mm 400w AC-DC psu with modular connectors and a Z2-ATX. I'll need some sales support first though ;)

Reactions: InfernoZeus

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
In terms of power density, the sf450 is legit. What causes to be bigger is their DC-DC board, fan and their many modular connectors.
That's an interesting point. I wonder if the intrepid tinkerer could strip the SF450 of the DC-DC and modular boards, and use it purely as an AC-DC unit (with an external fan of course).

According to this image, it should cope with 450W on the 12V rail:

Reactions: Elerek

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
That's an interesting point. I wonder if the intrepid tinkerer could strip the SF450 of the DC-DC and modular boards, and use it purely as an AC-DC unit (with an external fan of course).

According to this image, it should cope with 450W on the 12V rail:

Right. Their power board is very close to the size of a 3x5 board (RPS-400), but has a higher power output.