Production ONE2 DISTRO 400 - A 12V Power distribution board

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Looks very svelte. Would it be possible to get 300-400W to EACH the CPU and GPU, with two AC-DC units, at below the volume of an SFX PSU with this sort of config?

You meant at the 600W full system consumption? That'd be an OC 9900K + 2080 Ti spec.

The answer would be no. The SFX unit takes up a lot of space for a 300-400W spec, but above 600W with the built in fan, which you would have to provide cooling for a AC-DC anyways, the SFX unit is actually small. It just uses an annoying number of cables.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Sorry meant in the bottom left of this picture where the power source enters the case.

For that it would be dependent on the AC-DC type you are using. External AC-DC units will include a 3d printed, or possible metal plate for mounting the mini-fit connectors. :)

Reactions: cj360

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
You meant at the 600W full system consumption? That'd be an OC 9900K + 2080 Ti spec.

The answer would be no. The SFX unit takes up a lot of space for a 300-400W spec, but above 600W with the built in fan, which you would have to provide cooling for a AC-DC anyways, the SFX unit is actually small. It just uses an annoying number of cables.
Yeah, I'm trying to find the best solution for a 7960X + 1080ti. I saw @Link1712 and it got my juices flowing. I have space for very good ventilation. But SFX past 600W is quite space efficient indeed.

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
@Thehack, just a quick question - as I know you know the Meanwell series pretty well - do you know if the 6pin molex connector on the external GST units is compatible with the 8-pin connector on your board? If so, I guess it would be possible to position the board in a such a way that the input connector is directly accessible as the external socket?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack, just a quick question - as I know you know the Meanwell series pretty well - do you know if the 6pin molex connector on the external GST units is compatible with the 8-pin connector on your board? If so, I guess it would be possible to position the board in a such a way that the input connector is directly accessible as the external socket?

It does not work as a direct plug, due to GST having reversed 12V and Gnd lines compared to EPS or something like the G-Unique modified bricks. Adapters will be made available on day of sale.

Prototype 1 is a direct compatible though. This was for the purpose of prototyping.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@InfernoZeus : I do not know if you have the GTS unit but it's HUGE ! It's just a Meanwell EPP-400 in a plastic enclosure.

I vote for black silicon wires.
Sleeved cables are just to bulky and rigid for lots of the tiny builds this board is meant for.

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
It does not work as a direct plug, due to GST having reversed 12V and Gnd lines compared to EPS or something like the G-Unique modified bricks. Adapters will be made available on day of sale.

Prototype 1 is a direct compatible though. This was for the purpose of prototyping.

Ah, that's a shame. Is the plan to also offer some sort of external jack, like Gury has here:

@InfernoZeus : I do not know if you have the GTS unit but it's HUGE ! It's just a Meanwell EPP-400 in a plastic enclosure.

No, I don't actually have the GTS unit, but we use some of their HEP units at work, and they're rock-solid.

I've been trying to workout how to do internal AC-DC in something like the ZSA4-DC for a while now, but I'm thinking maybe I just start of with an external AC-DC. Once I have that working, then I can start trying to cram it all into one box!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
S4 prototype build:
  • A10 7850k
  • MSI GTX 1070 AERO ITX
  • 8GB DDR3
  • Distro 400 + Plugin

Some notes from it: Cable lengths need to be adjusted for the default cable kit. Cable lengths of 50mm increments will be available a la carte.

Cable management is a breeze with this unit, much easier than HDPLEX unit since the outputs are at 90 degrees.

Power off/on works perfectly, no weird power issues.

The "250W" bricks powers the build at 250W continuous perfectly no issues handling the 1070. Would pair really well with a 8400/2600(X) and a 1070. The Meanwell external units are well built, sturdy, easily sourced, and can be found for cheaper than Dell units. It is completely enclosed and passive so it is much safer for external use.

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Nice job !

I'm out of luck with my recent hardware purchases but hopefully I'll have a working dual GPU test build by the end of next week.

Reactions: Thehack

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
It is not custom, it's a Picobox z2-atx-200 from China :)
you can see picobox on the right side of the unit and the model on the top left

Reactions: Windfall

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@Thehack was nice enough to send me a prototype of the One2 distro board.

It works great with a Supermicro X11SSV-Q embedded board powered by a Meanwell EPP-400-12 / One2 combo !

Thanks to the @Thehack, I think I've found the ultimate SFF combo : only one 8-pin connector to power the whole system.
The 24-pin connector is not mandatory.

The other connectors are controlled by +12V coming from a motherboard fan header.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Oh my..... can I get one of those? What's the ETA for release?
Could I get a prototype? (not expecting a yes there lol)
Are you selling this as a COMPLETE meanwell hookup kit, or just the board?
Please tell me you are going to use black connectors on the board.

Thanks,
Windfall

P.S. @Thehack PM me. I have access to a CNC milling machine- I could do up some unnecessary heatsinks, just for kicks, for the price of materials. Just to make it look cool.