Production ONE2 DISTRO 400 - A 12V Power distribution board

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Omg god I hope this becomes feasible!
I do have one small suggestion if possible. Could the pcb board be spilt in two? Benefits: segregate heat per board and distribute the board size around the computer case in two halves. Regardless I'm very excited for this and the KMPKT Merge.

I may be developing the mereg, and making it 12V compatible, seeing as KMPKT gave me permission.

@Thehack When is the release on this?

Reactions: Sashby

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I may be developing the mereg, and making it 12V compatible, seeing as KMPKT gave me permission.

@Thehack When is the release on this?

DEC for full kit/retail release.

By merge do you mean an actual load balancing circuit? I'm not taking a "MERGE" project because it adds a lot of complexity and variables. You have to get the load balance circuit correct, and then it's use case gets in the realm of super niche, making it not much of a business sense. I don't see many scenarios where two lower PSU would be better than a more powerful one.

Reactions: cj360

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
DEC for full kit/retail release.

By merge do you mean an actual load balancing circuit? I'm not taking a "MERGE" project because it adds a lot of complexity and variables. You have to get the load balance circuit correct, and then it's use case gets in the realm of super niche, making it not much of a business sense. I don't see many scenarios where two lower PSU would be better than a more powerful one.

I will be having Larry at HDplex design a merge unit with 12-24V input, 600w max, sometime soon. I know it's niche, but It'll be useful for some!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I will be having Larry at HDplex design a merge unit with 12-24V input, 600w max, sometime soon. I know it's niche, but It'll be useful for some!

Lol. Mad scientist I see.

If you are doing a wide range input, you can probably simplify it by using PSUs that can be hooked in serial, and just simplify the joining of the voltage potential, to create 24V from two 12V PSU. It'll save you board space, engineering cost, and component cost. You will need two PSUs anyways. The way I see it, you have three options:

1. Join two PSU in serial to create 24V at the board. Simplest and cheapest to implement. The wide range can be 24-40V instead as well.

2. Two separate 12V rails, like how PSUs used to be, one RAIL power the CPU/MOBO, and one rail powering the GPU.

3. Load balancing circuit, creates a single powerful 12V rail while load balancing two identical PSUs. The most complex and expensive.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Lol. Mad scientist I see.

If you are doing a wide range input, you can probably simplify it by using PSUs that can be hooked in serial, and just simplify the joining of the voltage potential, to create 24V from two 12V PSU. It'll save you board space, engineering cost, and component cost. You will need two PSUs anyways. The way I see it, you have three options:

1. Join two PSU in serial to create 24V at the board. Simplest and cheapest to implement. The wide range can be 24-40V instead as well.

2. Two separate 12V rails, like how PSUs used to be, one RAIL power the CPU/MOBO, and one rail powering the GPU.

3. Load balancing circuit, creates a single powerful 12V rail while load balancing two identical PSUs. The most complex and expensive.

It also should be usable for dual HDPLEX's, as that was the Merge's original goal. But a jumper to put it in serial mode, or something? Definitely a great Idea, then you can use dual meanwells to power a HDPLEX. I'll note that.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
It also should be usable for dual HDPLEX's, as that was the Merge's original goal. But a jumper to put it in serial mode, or something? Definitely a great Idea, then you can use dual meanwells to power a HDPLEX. I'll note that.

If you are truly going ahead with this, securing the R&D fee, prototyping, and ordering a production run, will you be doing this as a one off run or intending to make your brand name?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Reactions: NinoPecorino

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I wish you luck! ;)

It's a fun challenge.

I may DM you later, seeing as you also have experience.
The Merge (when KMPKT was going to make it) was only 16-24V in, but I want 12V, and that series Idea is REALLY good, so thanks for that. Once I'm done with the HTPC Micro, I'll go ahead with this. I'm not sure where I'll sell it, but that's to be sorted out later.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I may DM you later, seeing as you also have experience.
The Merge (when KMPKT was going to make it) was only 16-24V in, but I want 12V, and that series Idea is REALLY good, so thanks for that. Once I'm done with the HTPC Micro, I'll go ahead with this. I'm not sure where I'll sell it, but that's to be sorted out later.

The bigger the voltage range, the more expensive it'll be. L+C circuits are designed to work at a certain voltage, as well as the VRM circuit. Furthermore, the lower you go in voltage, the beefier your mosfet circuit needs to be.

If you want function #1 as an alternate mode, you also need to have one of #2 or #3 as the other mode as well, which ends up doubling your circuit requirements.

You can have lots of features, but keep in mind that'll cost you in board space, R&D, and component cost. But I'll quit commenting on it. Once you get started, you should make an idea thread.

I think if you tailor the specs to Larry, he can design it for you as just R&D work, but it'll help if you take electronic circuit 101 to understand the fundamentals better.

Reactions: smitty2k1

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The bigger the voltage range, the more expensive it'll be. L+C circuits are designed to work at a certain voltage, as well as the VRM circuit. Furthermore, the lower you go in voltage, the beefier your mosfet circuit needs to be.

If you want function #1 as an alternate mode, you also need to have one of #2 or #3 as the other mode as well, which ends up doubling your circuit requirements.

You can have lots of features, but keep in mind that'll cost you in board space, R&D, and component cost. But I'll quit commenting on it. Once you get started, you should make an idea thread.

I think if you tailor the specs to Larry, he can design it for you as just R&D work, but it'll help if you take electronic circuit 101 to understand the fundamentals better.

Thanks! I've screenshotted all this for future reference.

arataisozaki

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
Ok, so i caught up reading all the threads on different projects and options on PSUs in the SFF world. At least I believe so. Someone really should make something like a summary of what's out there. It gets really confusing really fast. :D

@Thehack this board looks extremely useful. As I'm interested in the engineering part behind it, would you post the schematics for the board or is that considered proprietary?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Ok, so i caught up reading all the threads on different projects and options on PSUs in the SFF world. At least I believe so. Someone really should make something like a summary of what's out there. It gets really confusing really fast. :D

@Thehack this board looks extremely useful. As I'm interested in the engineering part behind it, would you post the schematics for the board or is that considered proprietary?

I don't have schematics for it but it's fairly simple.

Just an L+C circuit connected to a solid state relay circuit, with a microcontroller for the relay to add a couple extra features.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If the PicoPSU 160XT can be used together with the ONE2 for powering additional devices, where would it connect to? And do you still have some in stock?

I have both a PicoPSU and HD-PLEX 160w but they are different input voltages and separately, won't have enough juice to power my GPU in the system. I've been looking forward to the KMPKT Dynamo 360 but they won't be out until mid-December and I won't be able to wait that long. Been looking around for something that has this same function.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If the PicoPSU 160XT can be used together with the ONE2 for powering additional devices, where would it connect to? And do you still have some in stock?

I have both a PicoPSU and HD-PLEX 160w but they are different input voltages and separately, won't have enough juice to power my GPU in the system. I've been looking forward to the KMPKT Dynamo 360 but they won't be out until mid-December and I won't be able to wait that long. Been looking around for something that has this same function.

There is an always on output, similar to the 360 so you'd connect to that one. I can't guarantee that it functions as expected using the 160XT, mainly because of how the 12V rail works on different MBs. But it is semi compatible.

I don't have any in stock right now. I can try to look through my stuff for a prototype board next week but I'm still in the middle of my move. I'll give you a PM if I can find one.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
There is an always on output, similar to the 360 so you'd connect to that one. I can't guarantee that it functions as expected using the 160XT, mainly because of how the 12V rail works on different MBs. But it is semi compatible.

I don't have any in stock right now. I can try to look through my stuff for a prototype board next week but I'm still in the middle of my move. I'll give you a PM if I can find one.

That's a bummer :( This is gonna make planning the power components harder for me. I would be fine powering a GTX 1060 with the HD-PLEX but the RX 285 I have now uses even more power.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Will you be using an internal ac-dc?

It depends on whether I can find a suitable solution that can keep the entire system under 200 watts or not. Josh was able to power a 65W CPU with the same R9 285 with the Pico (see this video) but his AC power supply has more overhead at 300W. I have a 35W CPU though, so maybe with that and undervolting the GPU I could probably get it between 200 and 240? XD Still too much for a 200W internal AC-DC though.