Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

izrek

Cable Smoosher
Feb 23, 2018
It depends on how well xCase will sell in the future. Once I hit a certain number of orders per month it will start making sense but unfortunatelly not yet.

You are correct, the material I use is ASA for white bezels and ABS for all other colors. The finish looks similar to brushed metal but with longer lines from brushes. Kind of like the structure of the wood. Visibility of the lines depends on the light and angle of looking at the surface. From most angles they aren't noticable at all. Black, red, blue and green colors are matte, white color is semi matte. I'm planning a photo session showing the surface of different colors of the bezel and from different angles.

Wow, that sounds great! I thought it would be a smooth texture, but after seeing some pics from other members, the grainy texture looks pretty nice. Gonna look forward towards those pics Matt

Cheers

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
It depends on how well xCase will sell in the future. Once I hit a certain number of orders per month it will start making sense but unfortunatelly not yet.

You are correct, the material I use is ASA for white bezels and ABS for all other colors. The finish looks similar to brushed metal but with longer lines from brushes. Kind of like the structure of the wood. Visibility of the lines depends on the light and angle of looking at the surface. From most angles they aren't noticable at all. Black, red, blue and green colors are matte, white color is semi matte. I'm planning a photo session showing the surface of different colors of the bezel and from different angles.

This looks amazing, I am happy builds like this are appearing. This is my favorite case layout. I like seeing the addition of exhaust fans next to the gpu as well. I have a similar set up currently and it works great. What is the volume of this? Some taller cards may make the power plug location an issue.

minhbao92

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2017
I have a MSI Aero RX 560 only 155mm long. Is it possible to go brickless with HDPlex internal 160W DC-ATX, 160W AC-DC combo inside the S version? Thanks.

Going to build a small gift with Ryzen 7 1700 and RX 560 combo in the smallest brickless form factor possible.

alucard0712_rus

Cable Smoosher
Jan 27, 2018
Hello Matt3D!

I'm planning to buy xCase S, my questions are:

1. Can it fit HDPlex 300w AC-DC (or G-Unique AIO 300w) with normal height GPU like MSI 1060/1070 AERO (112-115mm). PSU placement like in Hank0 last photo.
2. Any options to have extra CPU and/or GPU cooling like SKYREACH has (thin 120mm on CPU/MB, 2x92 or anything extra on GPU)?

My configuration is 84w i7-4770k and it will be great to have some headroom for OC, also my MB runs bit too hot, so I want extra cooling for CPU/MB via 120mm fan.
GPU I was planning to buy is something not bigger than MSI AERO series 1060/1070.
CPU cooling for this build will be Noctua NH-9l. Any better suggestions?

As you see my main priority is to fit internal PSU then some headroom for OC if it's possible.

Thanks!

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Wanted to ask a question. Does the Size "S" case support mounting of C14 connector like this one? https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-inter...-19vdc-output-for-intel-nuc-and-thin-itx.html

It is clear that "M" size case supports it but wasn't sure if "S" size does.

*Edit: S size for low profile GT 1030 + HDPLEX ACDC.

Yes. Currently all versions, including xCase S, support mounting of C14 connectors like the one which is supplied with HD-PLEX AC-DC unit. The only drawback is that using a C14 connector with EMI filter it might not be possible to mount the closest case fan. HD-PLEX AC-DC unit and low profile GTX 1030 are going to fit in xCase S but there are no mountings for the AC-DC unit. It would have to be attached to the wall or the side panel using double-sided tape.

This looks amazing, I am happy builds like this are appearing. This is my favorite case layout. I like seeing the addition of exhaust fans next to the gpu as well. I have a similar set up currently and it works great. What is the volume of this? Some taller cards may make the power plug location an issue.

Thanks! It's an incredibly elegant layout, I can't wait to ship the first units. The render I posted is xCase L measuring 360 x 330 x 72mm - 8.6L. It's true that some taller graphics cards might not fit along with the power plug but moving the connector to the other side would require to extend the length of the case and I want to keep the case as small as possible.

I have a MSI Aero RX 560 only 155mm long. Is it possible to go brickless with HDPlex internal 160W DC-ATX, 160W AC-DC combo inside the S version? Thanks.

Going to build a small gift with Ryzen 7 1700 and RX 560 combo in the smallest brickless form factor possible.

Such brickless built would be amazing but unfortunatelly HD-PLEX AC-DC unit won't fit. I'll be releasing xCase SE shortly. It'll fit a G-Unique internal 300W AC-DC unit.

Here is the first preview of the xCase LE guys! It's compatible with full length graphics cards, 120mm AIO's, Noctua L12S, 80mm exhaust fans and many more.

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Hello Matt3D!

I'm planning to buy xCase S, my questions are:

1. Can it fit HDPlex 300w AC-DC (or G-Unique AIO 300w) with normal height GPU like MSI 1060/1070 AERO (112-115mm). PSU placement like in Hank0 last photo.
2. Any options to have extra CPU and/or GPU cooling like SKYREACH has (thin 120mm on CPU/MB, 2x92 or anything extra on GPU)?

My configuration is 84w i7-4770k and it will be great to have some headroom for OC, also my MB runs bit too hot, so I want extra cooling for CPU/MB via 120mm fan.
GPU I was planning to buy is something not bigger than MSI AERO series 1060/1070.
CPU cooling for this build will be Noctua NH-9l. Any better suggestions?

As you see my main priority is to fit internal PSU then some headroom for OC if it's possible.

Thanks!

Hi!

There are 3 options I can think of when it comes to fitting HD-PLEX 300W AC-DC unit into xCase S.

OPTION 1
Extend the length of the case - as you proposed in your second post. MSI AERO Mini is a wide graphics card - case would have to be extended by approx. 25mm to fit it and HD-PLEX AC-DC unit next to it. I usually charge an addtional $50 for such modifications. There is a problem with no room for C14 connector in that configuration. Additionally covering vent holes with AC-DC unit will leave no room for OC.

OPTION 2
xCase SE is especially designed for such systems. You could put G-Unique 300W AIO inside. There would be room for tall and efficient CPU cooler like Noctua L12S. 80mm case fans would provide an appropriate ventilation for OC. The dimensions of the case would be 360 x 202.5 x 95mm. I've just made the first official render of xCase SE:

OPTION 3
If you'd like to save some space I could offer a thinner version of xCase SE. It would sacrifice the space for SSD's (only M2 drives) and limit the maximum CPU cooler height from 70mm in SE version to 60mm. The dimensions of the case would be 360 x 202.5 x 85mm.

Answering your question about adding case fans over motherboard / graphics card - there is an option to mount the fans directly to side panels. All screws are supplied with the case. An ability to mount the fan over the motherboard is limited only by the height of the CPU cooler. Graphics card is placed closely to the side panel itself - fans are drawing cool air directly from outside of the case which means that there is no need for extra fans. They could be mounted to the side panel on the back of the graphics card if SSD bracket wouldn't be used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Any news on the L? Also, any plans for a smaller L without the space for case fans?

I'll be updating the website the whole weekend preparing for the release. Expect it to be available on sunday evening or early next week. At this point there is no plan to release a version without the space for case fans. It's not obvious but this space is also occupied by other parts like power connector, 6 or 8 pin GPU power connector & cable, 4 pin connector of HD-PLEX 160W if motherboard has the 24-pin connector close to the top edge, HD-PLEX 400W DC-DC unit, KMPK Dynamo 360 and many more components. Removing this space would cause huge compatibility issues with some motherboards and graphics cards. If someone is aware of those issues and lets me know all the parts he's planning to use I can remove this space as a custom service.

laterank

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 4, 2018
I'll be updating the website the whole weekend preparing for the release. Expect it to be available on sunday evening or early next week. At this point there is no plan to release a version without the space for case fans. It's not obvious but this space is also occupied by other parts like power connector, 6 or 8 pin GPU power connector & cable, 4 pin connector of HD-PLEX 160W if motherboard has the 24-pin connector close to the top edge. Removing this space would cause huge compatibility issues with some motherboards and graphics cards. If someone is aware of those issues and lets me know all the parts he's planning to use I can remove this space as a custom service.

Okay great! I'll be ready and waiting to order mine. I see, that makes perfect sense, thank you.

triptronix

Chassis Packer
Jan 21, 2018
Hi Matt3D,

I placed an order for the XCaseS yesterday and I am trying to find out how I can get the HDPLEX 400W DC ATX into the case and combining it with a Dell 330W external brick. Looking at the layouts there appears to be room, 30+ mm on the left of the MB and maybe 50mm on right of the GPU if I decide not to install fans in one of these areas and I can mount it with double sided tape. Would you be able to confirm this for me? Worse case scenario I will then need to cancel my order and re order the XCaseM ( I rather not because I love the small form factor of the XCaseS)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

fruitchewy

Case Bender
Mar 17, 2018
Hey there!

I'm looking to do a new build, and as of yet am undecided on my choice of case. I was hoping to use a NH-L12S, Zotac 1080 Mini, and the Dynamo Duo. Am I correct that the ME size xCase would be perfect for these components? If so, when are you estimating that will be available?

Thanks!

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Hi Matt3D,

I placed an order for the XCaseS yesterday and I am trying to find out how I can get the HDPLEX 400W DC ATX into the case and combining it with a Dell 330W external brick. Looking at the layouts there appears to be room, 30+ mm on the left of the MB and maybe 50mm on right of the GPU if I decide not to install fans in one of these areas and I can mount it with double sided tape. Would you be able to confirm this for me? Worse case scenario I will then need to cancel my order and re order the XCaseM ( I rather not because I love the small form factor of the XCaseS)

Thanks in advance

We continued the discussion in private but I'd like to share the solution here for future reference. Depending on the motherboard & CPU cooler used it might be possible to hang HD-PLEX 400W DC-DC unit above the PCI-E connector, attached to the side panel. Personally I wouldn't recommend that but nevertheless - it should fit. In my opinion better solution to fit such high-power system in xCase S would be to use KMPKT Dynamo 360 which is thinner. I could extend the thickness of the case by 5mm. This way Dynamo 360 would fit instead of the SSD bracket - on the back fo the graphics card.

Hey there!

I'm looking to do a new build, and as of yet am undecided on my choice of case. I was hoping to use a NH-L12S, Zotac 1080 Mini, and the Dynamo Duo. Am I correct that the ME size xCase would be perfect for these components? If so, when are you estimating that will be available?

Thanks!

Hi! You are right, those components would fit perfectly in xCase ME. It will be available to order within a week. I'm working on updating the website.

Reactions: Biowarejak

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Yes. Currently all versions, including xCase S, support mounting of C14 connectors like the one which is supplied with HD-PLEX AC-DC unit. The only drawback is that using a C14 connector with EMI filter it might not be possible to mount the closest case fan. HD-PLEX AC-DC unit and low profile GTX 1030 are going to fit in xCase S but there are no mountings for the AC-DC unit. It would have to be attached to the wall or the side panel using double-sided tape.

Thanks! It's an incredibly elegant layout, I can't wait to ship the first units. The render I posted is xCase L measuring 360 x 330 x 72mm - 8.6L. It's true that some taller graphics cards might not fit along with the power plug but moving the connector to the other side would require to extend the length of the case and I want to keep the case as small as possible.

Such brickless built would be amazing but unfortunatelly HD-PLEX AC-DC unit won't fit. I'll be releasing xCase SE shortly. It'll fit a G-Unique internal 300W AC-DC unit.

Here is the first preview of the xCase LE guys! It's compatible with full length graphics cards, 120mm AIO's, Noctua L12S, 80mm exhaust fans and many more.

That is in no way a full length gpu and is that a psu?

bricemx

Chassis Packer
Jan 9, 2018

Thanks lot for the preview of the xCase LE, i can't wait to get one like that to build.

Do you think Matt3D that the 120 mm AIO EK MLC Phoenix will fit this case, i have one like that?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Starting today all xCase versions are available for order! They can be ordered on our website www.modivio.com . Pages presenting each version, showing possible builts, will appear over the next couple of days.

Each unit includes the stand which improves the stability in vertical position of the case. Furthermore it lifts the case a bit, helping hot air to exit the case.

The list of improvements includes:
- xCase S and SE are extended from 200 to 205mm. I got a lot of compatibility requests about 175mm long graphics cards like MSI GTX 1070 AERO. Extension makes it possible to fit them without issues
- it's possible to mount C14 panel connector directly to the bezel of each version of the case. Additionally all versions are shipped with adapters for HD-PLEX 7.4x5.0mm connector as well as G-Unique 8-Pin slim connector

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
That is in no way a full length gpu and is that a psu?

In that built xCase LE supports ITX graphics cards up to 175mm in length like Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini or MSI GTX 1070 AERO and an AIO liquid cooling unit with 120mm radiator.

Thanks lot for the preview of the xCase LE, i can't wait to get one like that to build.

Do you think Matt3D that the 120 mm AIO EK MLC Phoenix will fit this case, i have one like that?

That's a good question. It depends a lot on the flexibility of the tubes. There is exactly 81mm between the AIO mounting and the top side panel. If you own the unit could you check if tubes are flexible enough to bend and fit within this dimension? If not, I can extend the thickness of the case by a couple of mm. Furthermore I could add mounting holes for the radiator directly on the side panel - this way the distance would be extended by 7mm from 81mm to 88mm in standard xCase LE.

Hi Matt, Great job on the case design, tried to place an order but it says no shipping method for me , Lagos, Nigeria

Sorry for the inconvenience. I've just added the shipping option for Nigeria. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Bshoults

Caliper Novice
Sep 20, 2017
Hey Matt,
I love these cases, but I was wondering if you had planned an xCase Mini or something? Basically the small case without the GPU side? Room for an internal PSU would rock though. I'm about to pull the plug on the Streacom F1C, but I don't love it. It does fit my needs more than any other case I've found (and that looks even somewhat decent).

Please say yes. Also, sorry if someone has already asked, reading 11 pages of post was out of the question at the moment!