Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
How is the power supply screwed on the screws?
In the first case (1), as I understand it, it is screwed through the top holes with a screwdriver
But what about the second case (2) ? there are no holes at the top and space is limited.

There is a hex key supplied with a case which allows to attach a power supply.

Ohhhhhh this is sick!!! :D

It looks amazing!

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017
Forgive me for being a bit overwhelmed with the various versions of this case, but on the website I noticed a picture showing a model with a front mounted 400W HDPlex AC-DC unit and an ITX GPU. Which model is that?

Or, to ask another way, what is the smallest model that will house a 400W HDPlex AC-DC unit and an ITX form factor GPU?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Forgive me for being a bit overwhelmed with the various versions of this case, but on the website I noticed a picture showing a model with a front mounted 400W HDPlex AC-DC unit and an ITX GPU. Which model is that?

Or, to ask another way, what is the smallest model that will house a 400W HDPlex AC-DC unit and an ITX form factor GPU?

The picture shows HD-PLEX 400W DC-DC unit and 300W AC-DC unit. Unfortunatelly the new 400W model is longer and doesn't fit inside xCase M. Currently we don't offer any case which could accomodate it with an ITX graphics card.

How much would 3D printed titanium cost?

Current prices of 3D printing titanium are enormous. Printing parts the size of a computer case is in a price range of a new car. Hopefully in a couple of years we'll see some new technologies which would allow for more affortable 3D printed metal parts.

Reactions: zzmadd

miklovin

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2019
If anyone is looking for an xCase LE, I'm selling my black one with a white power button and PCIe riser cable. Zip code 94010

Nenja

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 26, 2018
@Matt3D ,

I'm LOVING this case and I'm so disappointed I've only learned of it yesterday. I've been looking for a new set of SFF cases for my wife and me (currently using the Fractal Design Node 202).

I have just a few questions about the S/SE models:
  1. If I chose the opposing mobo/GPU orientation, how much space is there between the back of the GPU and the panel, both in the S and SE models? In short, I'd like to get a 120 or 140 fan behind it (likely slim)
  2. If I chose the same-facing mobo/GPU orientation, how much space would you estimate there is between the front of a "standard" 2-slot GPU and the panel (I realize not all GPU heatsinks and shrouds are exactly the same, but I'm considering the Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini)? In this orientation, does the back of the GPU sit flush with the back panel (i.e. similar to the mobo)? If not, is that possible since I only intend to use m.2 SSDs.
  3. Would you be willing to do wood panels (something like 4-5mm walnut), laser cut with the same pattern as the acrylic sides? I'm happy to pay extra for this option. If you're not, is it possible to get a reduced price on the case if I were to ask to exclude the panels?
  4. Is a semi-transparent bezel material available? I think this was asked and answered previously - apologies, if so. I'd love a semi transparent white so that I can create a yellow/gold illuminated bevel contrasted with the darker walnut wood panels, giving it an effect similar to this:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weredawg

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I'm LOVING this case and I'm so disappointed I've only learned of it yesterday. I've been looking for a new set of SFF cases for my wife and me (currently using the Fractal Design Node 202).

I have just a few questions about the S/SE models:
  1. If I chose the opposing mobo/GPU orientation, how much space is there between the back of the GPU and the panel, both in the S and SE models? In short, I'd like to get a 120 or 140 fan behind it (likely slim)
  2. If I chose the same-facing mobo/GPU orientation, how much space would you estimate there is between the front of a "standard" 2-slot GPU and the panel (I realize not all GPU heatsinks and shrouds are exactly the same, but I'm considering the Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini)? In this orientation, does the back of the GPU sit flush with the back panel (i.e. similar to the mobo)? If not, is that possible since I only intend to use m.2 SSDs.
  3. Would you be willing to do wood panels (something like 4-5mm walnut), laser cut with the same pattern as the acrylic sides? I'm happy to pay extra for this option. If you're not, is it possible to get a reduced price on the case if I were to ask to exclude the panels?
  4. Is a semi-transparent bezel material available? I think this was asked and answered previously - apologies, if so. I'd love a semi transparent white so that I can create a yellow/gold illuminated bevel contrasted with the darker walnut wood panels, giving it an effect similar to this:

It's great to hear your interested in our cases! Here are the answers:

1. It depends on the thickness of the graphics card's backplate but generally you should expect 16mm of space between the backplate and the side panel in xCase S and 39mm in xCase SE. This space is partly ocupied by a PCIe riser in the version with GPU facing the same direction as motherboard.
2. There is approx. 6mm of space between the fan on the Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini and the side panel. We could customize xCase SE by moving the graphics card towards the side panel. Space behind the graphics card can be reduced to 16mm (it's the minimum space in which PCIe riser will fit). It'll result in approx. 29mm between the fan and the side panel. Such distance would improve the airflow and reduce noise quite a bit.
3. We could laser cut the side panels from plywood, but to be honest it wouldn't look as good as the solid wood on the picture you posted. We could reduce the price if you'd like to order the case without the side panels.
4. Semi-transparent bezel ufrtunatelly isn't available. It's outside of the capabilities of 3D printing technology which we use.

MarceloSiciliano

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
I really liked this case!! Any chance on making its panels made of metal?

And one version with ATX motherboard support? With the GPU sitting above the mb? Like this:

Last edited:

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Oct 13, 2017
I'm onto my 2nd Modivio case. I had Matt make me a "half-sized" xCase S for only a mini-ITX board as I'm building a computer around a Ryzen 5 3400g with integrated Vega 11.

My AMD Asus ROG MB has been working great but the Noctua NH-L9a cooler only allows it to be mounted one way as the mounting holes are rectangular. This is unfortunate as I'm using the xCase in "vertical" mode with the feet so the fins on the cooler are horizontal. While the idle temps are 45C and within norms, I'm wanting to add a 60x60x10 fan to draw in more air to get a slightly cooler temps. Taking the side panel off lowers the temp by 9C so getting more air in there will drop the temps.

Question:
  1. What 60x60x10 fans are people using? Unfortunately Noctua doesn't have any of these in 10mm thickness. I'm looking for an extremely quiet PWM fan available in NA.
  2. How do you mount the fan inside the case? The mounting points will not accept cooling fan screws. Any pictures available?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: zzmadd

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
I'm onto my 2nd Modivio case. I had Matt make me a "half-sized" xCase S for only a mini-ITX board as I'm building a computer around a Ryzen 5 3400g with integrated Vega 11.

My AMD Asus ROG MB has been working great but the Noctua NH-L9a cooler only allows it to be mounted one way as the mounting holes are rectangular. This is unfortunate as I'm using the xCase in "vertical" mode with the feet so the fins on the cooler are horizontal. While the idle temps are 45C and within norms, I'm wanting to add a 60x60x10 fan to draw in more air to get a slightly cooler temps. Taking the side panel off lowers the temp by 9C so getting more air in there will drop the temps.

Question:
  1. What 60x60x10 fans are people using? Unfortunately Noctua doesn't have any of these in 10mm thickness. I'm looking for an extremely quiet PWM fan available in NA.
  2. How do you mount the fan inside the case? The mounting points will not accept cooling fan screws. Any pictures available?
Thanks!
I have the same Modivio case since more than a year...Mine is red. I love it!! :D
I run it without fans, but on other models I've used these ones:

Bulkaric

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 19, 2019
Can you make the xcase LE triple slot for the gpu with the same orientation of MB?
And the shipping is it a door to door or we need to pick it on postal office?
Thanks in advance for answering my inquiries

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Can you make the xcase LE triple slot for the gpu with the same orientation of MB?
And the shipping is it a door to door or we need to pick it on postal office?
Thanks in advance for answering my inquiries

Yeah, we can make a 3-slot version for a small fee. Shipping which we offer is a door to door option.